Joseph Meehan

Default Humidifier question

Alex O. wrote:
Hello people,

Hope you won't mind a couple of questions.

I used to have a drum humidifier on the furnace (General Aire model 81
-
http://www.generalaire.com/humidifie...747L_final.pdf)
which served me faithfully until it broke about a year ago. The house
is about 2,500 sq.ft. and I could get the humidity to 40% with no
problems.

As a replacement, a friend recommended the flow-through (Wait 6000 -
http://www.airkinglimited.com/airkin...ead&art_id=259),
which I installed.

The problem is that the new humidifier does not seem to get the job
done. Last winter, I could not get the humidity above 15% although
the humidistat was set to max and the humidifier was turning on and
off with the furnace.

I spent some time on the phone with Air King support and it seems that
everything was installed and operating as intended. Except the
results

So, I need to replace the humidifier with a model that will do the job
and I have some questions:

Is this a general problem with the flow-through humidifiers or did I
just get a crappy (or underpowered) model?

Should I go back to a drum model? I was quite happy with the one that
I had, except that the hard water tended to petrify the sponge after
one season.

What's the deal with the flow-through anyway? They seem less
water-efficient.

In any case, what models would be recommended?

Thank you very much for your time,
Alex.

First I suggest you make sure the one you have is working as it should.
Has the media been replaced, is it properly installed, are you running cold
or hot water to it?

It would be rather difficult for someone here to be able to recommend a
unit without knowing your situation, what furnace, what size, and maybe some
information about your home, like size, location, construction, existing or
non-existing vapor barriers, etc.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit