John Keith

Default ceiling hook in concrete ceiling

I want to install a ceiling hook for hanging a plant and need some
suggestions on what to use. The problem is that the ceiling is precast
concrete (this is a multifloor apartement building) and the usual
solutions don't apply. I'd like to avoid drilling a large hole and
inserting one of the metal anchors if at all possible. And the screws
I've seen for "threading" into concrete don't have the decorator
appeal for a women. What are the alternatives I should consider?

Thanks for the ideas.

John Keith

dadiOH

John Keith wrote:
I want to install a ceiling hook for hanging a plant and need some
suggestions on what to use. The problem is that the ceiling is precast
concrete (this is a multifloor apartement building) and the usual
solutions don't apply. I'd like to avoid drilling a large hole and
inserting one of the metal anchors if at all possible. And the screws
I've seen for "threading" into concrete don't have the decorator
appeal for a women. What are the alternatives I should consider?

You've pretty much covered them. Except for glue which I wouldn't.

I guess you could attach a decorative piece of wood to the ceiling with
countersunk Tapcons (the screws you mention), plug the holes and hang
the plant from a decorative through eyebolt in the wood.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Edwin Pawlowski

"John Keith" wrote in message ...
I'd like to avoid drilling a large hole and
inserting one of the metal anchors if at all possible. And the screws
I've seen for "threading" into concrete don't have the decorator
appeal for a women. What are the alternatives I should consider?

Be sure to wear a helmet when near it also. If the plant is hefty at all,
it will eventually pull out. You NEED a good solid metal anchor of some
sort, ugly or not

SQLit

"John Keith" wrote in message
news
I want to install a ceiling hook for hanging a plant and need some
suggestions on what to use. The problem is that the ceiling is precast
concrete (this is a multifloor apartement building) and the usual
solutions don't apply. I'd like to avoid drilling a large hole and
inserting one of the metal anchors if at all possible. And the screws
I've seen for "threading" into concrete don't have the decorator
appeal for a women. What are the alternatives I should consider?

Thanks for the ideas.

John Keith

Try looking at TAPCONS.
Available in decorator colors. Blue, red and a gray that I am aware of.

Your going to need a roto-hammer and a "hard" concrete bit to do this. As
well as permission from the landlord. Which is seriously doubtful.
Prestressed concrete is made that way for strength. Drilling holes in it
weakens the concrete. If they let you then they have to let everyone.
Time to build something from wood or metal.

boden

If you prepare (clean) the surface carefully you could adhere any of a
number of attachments to the concrete with a good, properly cured epoxy.
The strength of the bond will exceed that needed to hold a planter.

Boden

SQLit wrote:
"John Keith" wrote in message
news
[...]

Goedjn

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:00:51 -0600, John Keith wrote:

I want to install a ceiling hook for hanging a plant and need some
suggestions on what to use. The problem is that the ceiling is precast
concrete (this is a multifloor apartement building) and the usual
solutions don't apply. I'd like to avoid drilling a large hole and
inserting one of the metal anchors if at all possible. And the screws
I've seen for "threading" into concrete don't have the decorator
appeal for a women. What are the alternatives I should consider?

Thanks for the ideas.

Post up from one or two nearby walls, and run a crossbar to hang the
plant from. Or use a floor-stand. If you're going to try adhesive,
you want something like a 30" medallion to give you a big enough
contact patch.

Goedjn

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 07:00:51 -0600, John Keith wrote:

I want to install a ceiling hook for hanging a plant and need some
suggestions on what to use. The problem is that the ceiling is precast
concrete (this is a multifloor apartement building) and the usual
solutions don't apply. I'd like to avoid drilling a large hole and
inserting one of the metal anchors if at all possible. And the screws
I've seen for "threading" into concrete don't have the decorator
appeal for a women. What are the alternatives I should consider?

Oh, and if there's steel plate in that concrete ceiling get one
of those 100# magnets from www.sciplus.com

(this one should work)

http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cf...egory%20Filter

DanG

Most decorative plant hooks come with a double ended screw that
has wood threads on one end and machine threads to go into the
hook. These will work just fine in a plastic anchor set in the
proper sized hole in the concrete and will be totally unseen when
the hook is installed.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"John Keith" wrote in message
news
I want to install a ceiling hook for hanging a plant and need
some
suggestions on what to use. The problem is that the ceiling is
precast
concrete (this is a multifloor apartement building) and the
usual
solutions don't apply. I'd like to avoid drilling a large hole
and
inserting one of the metal anchors if at all possible. And the
screws
I've seen for "threading" into concrete don't have the decorator
appeal for a women. What are the alternatives I should consider?

Thanks for the ideas.

John Keith

BobK207

OP-

How heavy is the plant you intend to hang?

I would be careful about drilling very far into a concrete slab in a
multiunit situation. The slab could be PT'd & you might be jsut
unlucky enough to hit a PT strand.

SIKA makes a fast set epxoy Sikadur AnchorFix #1 (~5min gel, less an
hour to full cure) that would be perfect for an overhead stitation

Bond a 1/4" threaded rod & screw on a hook (a good one, not some cast
piece of crap)

cheers
Bob

John Keith

Thanks for the dialog. I appreciate the experience of others. Not sure
what I'll do yet.

John Keith