hackwriter

Default "Tough as Tile" tub paint -- has anyone used this?

This sounds to good to be true, so I assume it is, until I hear
otherwise.

Lowe's carries a product called "Tough as Tile" -- an epoxy for use on
sinks, tubs, etc. It comes in a spray and a brush-on version, and
retails for under 30 bucks.

Given that a professional tub refinish is messy, smelly, toxic, and
runs about $600 - $800 bucks, is this a viable alternative? I have two
horrifically ugly tubs of 1950's - 1960's vintage. One is a seafoam
green but has a nasty ding in it that I can't find touchup paint for,
the other is olive green and has really hard lime deposits that NOTHING
will remove. If it's as simple as painting it over with this stuff,
and it'll work, it might be worth doing it. But I don't want to make
it worse.

Anyone have any thoughts on this product?

John Willis

On 10 Oct 2005 16:02:52 -0700, "hackwriter"
scribbled this interesting note:

This sounds to good to be true, so I assume it is, until I hear
otherwise.

Lowe's carries a product called "Tough as Tile" -- an epoxy for use on
sinks, tubs, etc. It comes in a spray and a brush-on version, and
retails for under 30 bucks.

Given that a professional tub refinish is messy, smelly, toxic, and
runs about $600 - $800 bucks, is this a viable alternative? I have two
horrifically ugly tubs of 1950's - 1960's vintage. One is a seafoam
green but has a nasty ding in it that I can't find touchup paint for,
the other is olive green and has really hard lime deposits that NOTHING
will remove. If it's as simple as painting it over with this stuff,
and it'll work, it might be worth doing it. But I don't want to make
it worse.

Anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Nothing is that simple. There is a reason having someone come in and
paint your tub is so expensive. It is fairly labor intensive. The cost
of the paint is minimal. Even two part epoxy is cheap compared to
paying someone who actually knows what he is doing. Ask me. I know. I
am now faced with refinishing a tub I paid to have painted about three
years ago. The "professional" used a polyurethane paint. Now it has
decided to start coming off. In vast sheets. Soon after I paid to have
that done, I did a small sink at our house with a two part epoxy
paint. The old paint, which was on that sink when we moved in, had
continued to chip off so it was time to fix it. What I did was remove
the faucet and then remove all the old paint (something the fellow who
painted that previously mentioned tub didn't do), fill the minor chips
with bondo, and sand. Then I did some more sanding. Then it was time
to sand the sink again. After sanding once more, it got cleaned. Then
it got wiped out. Then it got a couple of different surface
preparations. Then it got cleaned again and again. Then, after masking
off everything in that bathroom, it got cleaned one more time and then
sprayed. Two or three times. It still looks great.

Now I have to decide, do I want to remove and replace the tub that was
previously painted (it has other problems besides that), or patch it
up again, remove all the old paint to get back down to original
surface, and properly prep and paint it? I'm not yet sure which option
would take more time and money.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
wayne

best way is to get a drop in liner pretty simple and a lot more
durable. I went the pro route smell etc took the guy all day. Well
the coating is pretty fragile you have to be very careful as to what
kind of cleaner you use. A drop in liner would be a much better choice

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...r_clinic/12752
71.html

About $600.00 according to the article YMMV

Wayne

hackwriter wrote:

This sounds to good to be true, so I assume it is, until I hear
otherwise.

Lowe's carries a product called "Tough as Tile" -- an epoxy for use on
sinks, tubs, etc. It comes in a spray and a brush-on version, and
retails for under 30 bucks.

Given that a professional tub refinish is messy, smelly, toxic, and
runs about $600 - $800 bucks, is this a viable alternative? I have
two horrifically ugly tubs of 1950's - 1960's vintage. One is a
seafoam green but has a nasty ding in it that I can't find touchup
paint for, the other is olive green and has really hard lime deposits
that NOTHING will remove. If it's as simple as painting it over with
this stuff, and it'll work, it might be worth doing it. But I don't
want to make it worse.

Anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Art

I was told by a pro they don't use epoxy any more because of staining
problems but I have no idea whether that was true. Epoxy certainly bonds
like nothing else.

oups.com...

John Willis wrote:
[...]

Ok Guys, Is it correct to top-post or bottom-post ;-)
I need a lot more info..... steel? porcelain on cast iron?
makes a huge difference.....
IMHO.... this is MY opinion... nothing beats a high-grade cast iron,
with a fired-glass finish (remember, MY OPINION)
a keeper, or moving.... quality or trash?
(haven't been here in a while... coming back for fun!)

Jim Yanik

"hackwriter" wrote in
oups.com:

This sounds to good to be true, so I assume it is, until I hear
otherwise.

Lowe's carries a product called "Tough as Tile" -- an epoxy for use on
sinks, tubs, etc. It comes in a spray and a brush-on version, and
retails for under 30 bucks.

Given that a professional tub refinish is messy, smelly, toxic, and
runs about $600 - $800 bucks, is this a viable alternative? I have two
horrifically ugly tubs of 1950's - 1960's vintage. One is a seafoam
green but has a nasty ding in it that I can't find touchup paint for,
the other is olive green and has really hard lime deposits that NOTHING
will remove. If it's as simple as painting it over with this stuff,
and it'll work, it might be worth doing it. But I don't want to make
it worse.

Anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Going over such dark colors will be difficult.It will probably take more
than one kit to do it.

From what I've read,a pro etches and then uses a fast-curing bonding agent
before spraying on the finish epoxy paint coats.They should tell you how
many coats they use for the finish coats.(IMO,minimum three coats.)

I do not believe the home epoxy kits will adhere as well as the pro job,and
the pro also gives you cleaning and maintenance instructions.

IMO,go with the pro;you get a guarantee with their work.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 10 Oct 2005 05:54:44p, Jim Yanik wrote in alt.home.repair:

"hackwriter" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

From what I've read,a pro etches and then uses a fast-curing bonding
agent before spraying on the finish epoxy paint coats.They should tell
you how many coats they use for the finish coats.(IMO,minimum three
coats.)

I do not believe the home epoxy kits will adhere as well as the pro
job,and the pro also gives you cleaning and maintenance instructions.

IMO,go with the pro;you get a guarantee with their work.

My grandmother had a very old Victorian style sink that she didn't want to
part with, but it had some serious wear on the porcelain. I used an epoxy
paint on it and the results were exceptional. Ten years later it still
looked almost as good as the day I did it. IIRC, I did put on 3
applications.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
Richard J Kinch

hackwriter writes:

Anyone have any thoughts on this product?

"Tough as tile" is a fraudulent statement, for any reasonable definition of
"tough" and "tile".

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM