Jim Yanik

Default "Tough as Tile" tub paint -- has anyone used this?

"hackwriter" wrote in
oups.com:

This sounds to good to be true, so I assume it is, until I hear
otherwise.

Lowe's carries a product called "Tough as Tile" -- an epoxy for use on
sinks, tubs, etc. It comes in a spray and a brush-on version, and
retails for under 30 bucks.

Given that a professional tub refinish is messy, smelly, toxic, and
runs about $600 - $800 bucks, is this a viable alternative? I have two
horrifically ugly tubs of 1950's - 1960's vintage. One is a seafoam
green but has a nasty ding in it that I can't find touchup paint for,
the other is olive green and has really hard lime deposits that NOTHING
will remove. If it's as simple as painting it over with this stuff,
and it'll work, it might be worth doing it. But I don't want to make
it worse.

Anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Going over such dark colors will be difficult.It will probably take more
than one kit to do it.

From what I've read,a pro etches and then uses a fast-curing bonding agent
before spraying on the finish epoxy paint coats.They should tell you how
many coats they use for the finish coats.(IMO,minimum three coats.)

I do not believe the home epoxy kits will adhere as well as the pro job,and
the pro also gives you cleaning and maintenance instructions.

IMO,go with the pro;you get a guarantee with their work.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik