BN

Default Glidden Paints

How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

Thanks!
Edwin Pawlowski

"BN" wrote in message ...
How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

You can do better. HD does not carry the premium brands, only the
"adequate" stuff. If you want a better job, so to a Pittsburgh dealer or
Sherwin Williams.

Dan C

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:26:36 -0400, BN wrote:

How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

I'd say that paint is "middle-of-the-road". I'd say the best you can do
is Sherwin Williams brand.

Linux Registered User #327951

George E. Cawthon

BN wrote:
How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

Thanks!

I painted my whole house with Glidden from HD
almost 3 years ago. Ceiling white (flat) on the
ceilings and semi-gloss everywhere else. One coat
but the colors are all light and very close to the
previous colors. Durability has not been a
question but we are fairly easy on paint. Seems
like pretty good paint to me. Best I ever used
was Dutch Boy, the top stuff. Worst I ever used
was Sherwin Williams--took three coats for good
coverage over a similar color--more like water
than paint but that was 40 years ago.
John H. Holliday

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"BN" wrote in message
How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

You can do better. HD does not carry the premium brands, only the
"adequate" stuff. If you want a better job, so to a Pittsburgh dealer or
Sherwin Williams.

....or you could check the recent issue of Consumer Reports. They tested the
various paint brands and formulations so you could base your decision on
objective data...

Doc

Consumer Reports "objective data" is one I hadn't heard 'til now.

George

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"BN" wrote in message ...

How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

You can do better. HD does not carry the premium brands, only the
"adequate" stuff. If you want a better job, so to a Pittsburgh dealer or
Sherwin Williams.

Agree, since paint is the cheapest part of the project it never pays to
go with the box store stuff which is just "adequate" as you described.
Every time I have purchased it in a pinch or saw someone else use it
the quality difference was clear.
Duane Bozarth

BN wrote:

How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

I'm not sure of which level the "Evermore" line is but Glidden is a good
quality vendor on an equivalent price/point w/ any of the other "name"
brands. I've used Glidden products quite satisfactorily over the
years. I'd look into where this particular product places in the
spectrum of products rather than simply at the brand--that is true of
all name brands, of course.
Art M

I too have been satisfied with Glidden. I have been able to use a roller to
touch up dirty spots on a wall without being able to notice the transition
from old to new (I roll the edges with the roller almost out of paint). That
gives much better results than trying to clean marks. You will rub off flat
Glidden paint before it comes clean and semi-gloss won't do that much
better. The newest paint in my house is probably 5 years old so formulations
may have changed since then.

I have not been happy with Behr that my brother used in his house a couple
of years ago. It's thicker but takes two coats for any change in color
because it leaves holes no matter how much you roll it. (And I think that
was rolling it over their own primer). They sell Behr as a higher end paint,
but it's essentially the house brand with a high mark-up. Perhaps it's more
durable than Glidden.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
BN wrote:
How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

Thanks!

I painted my whole house with Glidden from HD almost 3 years ago. Ceiling
white (flat) on the ceilings and semi-gloss everywhere else. One coat but
the colors are all light and very close to the previous colors.
Durability has not been a question but we are fairly easy on paint. Seems
like pretty good paint to me. Best I ever used was Dutch Boy, the top
stuff. Worst I ever used was Sherwin Williams--took three coats for good
coverage over a similar color--more like water than paint but that was 40
years ago.

George E. Cawthon

George wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"BN" wrote in message

How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

You can do better. HD does not carry the premium brands, only the
"adequate" stuff. If you want a better job, so to a Pittsburgh dealer
or Sherwin Williams.

Agree, since paint is the cheapest part of the project it never pays to
go with the box store stuff which is just "adequate" as you described.
Every time I have purchased it in a pinch or saw someone else use it
the quality difference was clear.

There is more BS about paint quality than there is
about mileage improvements for the automobile.
And all the arguments have similar logic faults.

When comparing major brands that sell for similar
prices (there are quality levels among major
brands), there is no doubt that brand A's low
luster, mocha brown was a better overall paint
than brand B's in 2002. But that doesn't mean
that brand A's pink panther semi-gloss in 2004 was
better than Brand B's. Besides, except for the
occasional screw up of any major brand, the
differences between brands as an overall products
is tiny. It remains a crap shoot as to which
paint is best, but in general the difference
between the winner and the loser is a nickel or two.

Duane Bozarth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
BN wrote:

How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

I'm not sure of which level the "Evermore" line is but Glidden is a good
quality vendor on an equivalent price/point w/ any of the other "name"
brands. I've used Glidden products quite satisfactorily over the
years. I'd look into where this particular product places in the
spectrum of products rather than simply at the brand--that is true of
all name brands, of course.

Easy to tell just compare regular (not sale)
prices. Similar prices similar level of quality.

In general, there's a lot of truth in that observation. Also, length of
warranties and in more detail, amount of solids, etc., in the
formulations give further indications.
George E. Cawthon

Duane Bozarth wrote:
BN wrote:

How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

I'm not sure of which level the "Evermore" line is but Glidden is a good
quality vendor on an equivalent price/point w/ any of the other "name"
brands. I've used Glidden products quite satisfactorily over the
years. I'd look into where this particular product places in the
spectrum of products rather than simply at the brand--that is true of
all name brands, of course.

Easy to tell just compare regular (not sale)
prices. Similar prices similar level of quality.
Glidden Evermore sells for about the same price
as every other brand of paint aimed at the
homeowner. (I'm not saying that professionals use
a better paint.)
George E. Cawthon

BN wrote:

How good are the Glidden Evermore paints from Home Depot? I am
planning to use this paint in satin base for the kitchen.

Thanks!

I painted my whole house with Glidden from HD almost 3 years ago. Ceiling
white (flat) on the ceilings and semi-gloss everywhere else. One coat but
the colors are all light and very close to the previous colors.
Durability has not been a question but we are fairly easy on paint. Seems
like pretty good paint to me. Best I ever used was Dutch Boy, the top
stuff. Worst I ever used was Sherwin Williams--took three coats for good
coverage over a similar color--more like water than paint but that was 40
years ago.

I have touched up spots that were painted nearly 3
years ago with Glidden and could not tell where
the touch up was made. (Nail and screw holes,
wall hanging changes, rack repairs and tape
damage) That said, I have also touched up Dutch
Boy exterior paint after several years, most
recently a very light Gray and before that a light
cream yellow which is suppose to be the most fade
prone. The latter was on the north side after 5-6
years when I installed new windows, but one could
not tell a color where I painted around the windows.
George

George E. Cawthon wrote:

There is more BS about paint quality than there is about mileage
improvements for the automobile. And all the arguments have similar
logic faults.

When comparing major brands that sell for similar prices (there are
quality levels among major brands), there is no doubt that brand A's low
luster, mocha brown was a better overall paint than brand B's in 2002.
But that doesn't mean that brand A's pink panther semi-gloss in 2004 was
better than Brand B's. Besides, except for the occasional screw up of
any major brand, the differences between brands as an overall products
is tiny. It remains a crap shoot as to which paint is best, but in
general the difference between the winner and the loser is a nickel or two.

I don't think its a crap shoot at all. I know that if I buy Sherwin
Williams I will always get a good result.

And if you want a good "baseline" comparison how about comparing
primers. We were painting some new drywall and ran out of primer. We
were using Sherwin Williams and as always the primer coat looked almost
like the final coat. I bought Behr super duper best quality primer. It
had noticibly less solids and the primer did not cover. You could
clearly see the difference between the taped joints and plain drywall.
Duane Bozarth

George wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:

There is more BS about paint quality than there is about mileage
improvements for the automobile. And all the arguments have similar
logic faults.

When comparing major brands that sell for similar prices (there are
quality levels among major brands), there is no doubt that brand A's low
luster, mocha brown was a better overall paint than brand B's in 2002.
But that doesn't mean that brand A's pink panther semi-gloss in 2004 was
better than Brand B's. Besides, except for the occasional screw up of
any major brand, the differences between brands as an overall products
is tiny. It remains a crap shoot as to which paint is best, but in
general the difference between the winner and the loser is a nickel or two.

I don't think its a crap shoot at all. I know that if I buy Sherwin
Williams I will always get a good result.

As w/ any other brand, depends on which S-W product you buy...I
recently had a very bad experience w/ a S-W product.

And if you want a good "baseline" comparison how about comparing
primers. We were painting some new drywall and ran out of primer. We
were using Sherwin Williams and as always the primer coat looked almost
like the final coat. I bought Behr super duper best quality primer. It
had noticibly less solids and the primer did not cover. You could
clearly see the difference between the taped joints and plain drywall.

I, otoh, used the (albeit exterior, not interior) Behr oil-based primer
on the barn and it covered well and was a dream to spray and has been
through two hot KS summers and one cold KS winter and is holding the
topcoat like a dream...

It wasn't cheap, however...

Edwin Pawlowski

"George" wrote in message
George E. Cawthon wrote:

There is more BS about paint quality than there is about mileage
improvements for the automobile. And all the arguments have similar logic
faults.

I don't think its a crap shoot at all. I know that if I buy Sherwin
Williams I will always get a good result.

You both make valid point. Keep in mind though. that some brands will make
a specific version to the specifications of the large stores they sell to.
That line may or may not be as good as lines sold though other retail
channels.

George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"George" wrote in message

George E. Cawthon wrote:

There is more BS about paint quality than there is about mileage
improvements for the automobile. And all the arguments have similar logic
faults.

I don't think its a crap shoot at all. I know that if I buy Sherwin
Williams I will always get a good result.

You both make valid point. Keep in mind though. that some brands will make
a specific version to the specifications of the large stores they sell to.
That line may or may not be as good as lines sold though other retail
channels.

I heard that story about Dutch Boy while in a
Dutch Boy paint store (haven't seen one for
years). There may be some truth in that but you
have to be very specific. If the can has the same
name, I think it is the same regardless of where
it is sold. Last year I bought a can of Duramax
(made by Valspar) gloss indoor/outdoor latex for
doors and door frames from Lowes. It has proved
to be excellent. This year I needed another can
but couldn't find it until I asked a clerk who
pointed it out and said that it had been taken in
to their American Traditions line but the paint
was identical. The large name is American
Traditions but still has Valspar in little print.
I know nothing about the other American
Traditions lines, but at a cost of $24 per gallon
this ain't cheap, just good.

That said, Dutch Boy does have several lines,
some of which are not sold in the more upbeat
stores but are found at KMart ( and maybe some
other stores.)

The key is still price. If you pay $17/gallon, It
is likely that the quality is the similar to other
brands that sell for $17/gallon, give or take a
dollar or two.
Glidden has different lines and one of them is
Evermore. I think the Evermore formulation is the
same regardless of where it is sold. Their online
site tends to confirm that.

Aquatech Gloss not opaque after 1 undercoat 1 gloss coat. Glidden Trade acrylic. [email protected] UK diy 5 May 12th 05 11:50 AM
Getting fine spray finish w/heavy paints Lee S Woodworking 4 January 30th 05 01:37 PM
Leyland Paints? Jim S UK diy 13 July 14th 04 02:56 PM
Glidden paint? KD Home Repair 3 March 19th 04 12:58 AM