Jim S

Default Leyland Paints?

Hi

Has anyone any comments on the Leyland paints in the screwfix catalogue. Im
after some brilliant white etc. and was not sure wether to buy the usual
Dulux etc from the local DIY shed or try the leyland paint.

Thanks

Jim

Jimbo

just painted a pebbledash house with Leyland masonry paint. It worked good
for me. And--unlike Dulux--the colours are available are in a wider range.

Lobster

"Jim S" wrote in message ...

Has anyone any comments on the Leyland paints in the screwfix catalogue. Im
after some brilliant white etc. and was not sure wether to buy the usual
Dulux etc from the local DIY shed or try the leyland paint.

It's good stuff; certainly on a par with Dulux/Crown etc rather than
the cheapo own-brand stuff that the sheds knowck out.

We have a Leyland-only outlet near us; it's where all the local
tradespeople buy their paint.

David
Christian McArdle

just painted a pebbledash house with Leyland masonry paint. It worked good
for me. And--unlike Dulux--the colours are available are in a wider

range.

I think Dulux's 1200-1800 colour range for masonry paint (depending whether
smooth or textured) would be sufficient!

Christian.

Peter Johnson

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:42:20 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Much of the trade use Leyland.

Of course, you don't actually know that. As I work for Crown I could
equally say that 'much of the trade (that I know) uses Crown' with
equal validity. I would point out that Crown is part of Akzo Nobel,
the largest paint manufacturer on a global basis.
It seems to me that there are several reasons decorators use a
particular merchant. Some use the closest to the work site. Some use
the one supplying the materials specified by architect/designer. Some
go for the best price. Some go for the service they get or they like
the people behind the counter.
(I have also worked for Leyland and found that they do have customers
in common with Crown.)
Toby

IMM wrote:
Much of the trade use Leyland.

Dear IMM,
How does Leyland compare to Johnstone's in the eyes of the trade?

(Note to Lynne Truss fans, the apostrophe is correct)

--
Toby.

Owain

"Peter Johnson" wrote
| It seems to me that there are several reasons decorators
| use a particular merchant. Some use the closest to the
| work site. Some use the one supplying the materials
| specified by architect/designer. Some go for the best
| price. Some go for the service they get or they like
| the people behind the counter.

Do the paint mfrs have similar schemes to boiler manufacturers and the like,
whereby contractors who buy lots of their products collect points towards
free logod overalls or holidays in Torremolinos.

Owain

John Rumm

Christian McArdle wrote:

I think Dulux's 1200-1800 colour range for masonry paint (depending whether
smooth or textured) would be sufficient!

Or not ;-)

Went into the Dulux "Decorating Centre" the other day to enquire about
masonry paints. The usual dull range of magnolia and variations of on
the shelf at about 18 quid a tin (5L). Helpfull lass behind the counter
informed me they can make most of the colours in the Dulux colour chart
in masonry as well - the price however goes up to 34 quid a tin! Ouch.

Wandered into Johnsons later (Layland main dealer), They were happy to
make up colours at 22/tin, what is more they would do any colour on any
of their charts (even the non masonry ones), and, they said they were
happy to make any of the colours produced by any other manufacturer if I
wanted.

So you can probably guess which one got the business. ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.