Dan C

Default Weed-whacker recommendation

Hello all,

I'd like to buy a good weed-whacker, gasoline powered, and with the
ability to add/use optional attachments such as an edger.

What would you recommend?

Linux Registered User #327951

John H. Holliday

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

I'd like to buy a good weed-whacker, gasoline powered, and with the
ability to add/use optional attachments such as an edger.

What would you recommend?

I'd recommend not getting a "combo" tool. Each function is a compromise. Get
a whacker and if you need power edger, get one of those too.

Sort of like an adjustable/Crescent wench-- sure you can loosen a bolt but
not as well as you could with a box wench or socket...and you won't round
the edges nor will it slip and you bark your knuckles on a hot manifold ;-)

Doc

Dan C

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:25:38 -0400, John H. Holliday wrote:

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

I'd like to buy a good weed-whacker, gasoline powered, and with the
ability to add/use optional attachments such as an edger.

What would you recommend?

I'd recommend not getting a "combo" tool. Each function is a compromise. Get
a whacker and if you need power edger, get one of those too.

Sort of like an adjustable/Crescent wench-- sure you can loosen a bolt but
not as well as you could with a box wench or socket...and you won't round
the edges nor will it slip and you bark your knuckles on a hot manifold ;-)

Hmmmm.... good point. I will keep that in mind as I look around today.

Thanks.

Linux Registered User #327951

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dan C" wrote in message

Hmmmm.... good point. I will keep that in mind as I look around today.

Look at Stihl. Don't look at Homelite or Ryobi

Bill

With *certain* Stihl string trimmers, you can use the following attachments
and more...
http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/accessories.html

Attachments -vs- trimmer chart...
http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/...omparison.html

String trimmers...
http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers

"Dan C" wrote in message
Hello all,

I'd like to buy a good weed-whacker, gasoline powered, and with the
ability to add/use optional attachments such as an edger.

What would you recommend?

Linux Registered User #327951

I spent an extra few $ and bought the 4-stroke model sold by Sears for
the same reasons as you did. It works great and has several
attachments (edger, tiller, blower) that make this a very handy tool
:-).

Brad

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 22:13:59 -0500, Dan C
wrote:

Hello all,

I'd like to buy a good weed-whacker, gasoline powered, and with the
ability to add/use optional attachments such as an edger.

What would you recommend?

The Reverend Natural Light

I'd recommend a Honda. It's undoubtedly the most expensive but it'll
be the last one you ever buy. They still use real trimmer string
(unlike the Sears models) and you'll be able to get parts at your local
motorcycle shop forever.

Ben Phlat

I've been very happy with my Ryobi 4 stroke straight shaft.
For attachments, besides the string trimmer, I have the
brush cutter, cultivator and the limb saw, works great.

--Ben

wrote:

Hello all,

I'd like to buy a good weed-whacker, gasoline powered, and with the
ability to add/use optional attachments such as an edger.

What would you recommend?

World Traveler

I agree with the post that suggested a dedicated weed-whacker, and my tool
of choice would be the Sears Craftsman high-wheel string trimmer. It rolls
on wheels -- you don't have to carry it--, it starts easily, uses 0.135 line
which is very durable, and the handle folds for easy storage. Downside --
if you're in an area with vines (Virginia Creeper, etc.) sometimes pieces
will wrap around the spinning shaft necessitating that they be cut off at
the end of the session, you manually replace the pieces of line after they
break off (but I've got that down to about 30 seconds), you can't replace
the string head with a brush cutter (so far as I know), and occasionally I
try to do too much with it (it cuts small shrubs and bamboo, but the line
broke off when I tried it on a sapling).

I've also seen advertisements for a DR model hi-wheel trimmer but the Sears
machine is the only wheeled trimmer I've ever actually seen or used.
Regards --

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

I'd like to buy a good weed-whacker, gasoline powered, and with the
ability to add/use optional attachments such as an edger.

What would you recommend?

Linux Registered User #327951

Dan C

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 22:13:59 -0500, Dan C wrote:

Hello all,

I'd like to buy a good weed-whacker, gasoline powered, and with the
ability to add/use optional attachments such as an edger.

What would you recommend?

Just to follow up my own post with what I ended up getting...

Some local friends thought highly of the "Echo" brand, and I got two
seperate tools instead of the combo deal. Got the straight-shaft Trimmer
model SRM-230, and the Edger model PE-200. Both seem to be very high
quality, and both got a good workout when they got home. I'm pleased.

Linux Registered User #327951

Bo Williams

Dan C wrote:

Some local friends thought highly of the "Echo" brand, and I got two
seperate tools instead of the combo deal. Got the straight-shaft Trimmer
model SRM-230, and the Edger model PE-200. Both seem to be very high
quality, and both got a good workout when they got home. I'm pleased.

Good choices; Echo is good stuff. I'm a Honda bigot, but all of my
2-cycle stuff is Echo.
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
Phisherman

wrote:

Hello all,

I'd like to buy a good weed-whacker, gasoline powered, and with the
ability to add/use optional attachments such as an edger.

What would you recommend?

I have an official 'Weed Eater." I have been using it weekly for
over 15 years. I paid about $65 for it. I use it to edge trim the
lawn too, walking backwards and tilting the cutter string vertically.
Works great. Like anything else, I'm not sure if they make them as
good now as back then.