World Traveler

Default Weed-whacker recommendation

I agree with the post that suggested a dedicated weed-whacker, and my tool
of choice would be the Sears Craftsman high-wheel string trimmer. It rolls
on wheels -- you don't have to carry it--, it starts easily, uses 0.135 line
which is very durable, and the handle folds for easy storage. Downside --
if you're in an area with vines (Virginia Creeper, etc.) sometimes pieces
will wrap around the spinning shaft necessitating that they be cut off at
the end of the session, you manually replace the pieces of line after they
break off (but I've got that down to about 30 seconds), you can't replace
the string head with a brush cutter (so far as I know), and occasionally I
try to do too much with it (it cuts small shrubs and bamboo, but the line
broke off when I tried it on a sapling).

I've also seen advertisements for a DR model hi-wheel trimmer but the Sears
machine is the only wheeled trimmer I've ever actually seen or used.
Regards --

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

I'd like to buy a good weed-whacker, gasoline powered, and with the
ability to add/use optional attachments such as an edger.

What would you recommend?

Linux Registered User #327951