dean

Default How can I send a chainsaw from USA to UK?

Hello all,

My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden
machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price
here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is
a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is
there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine.

Thanks all,

Dean

Solar Flare

Put a hockey face mask in the package and address it to Jason.

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hello all,
:
: My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden
: machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price
: here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is
: a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is
: there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine.
:
: Thanks all,
:
: Dean
:

Carpenter

dean wrote:
Hello all,

My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden
machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price
here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is
a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is
there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine.

Thanks all,

Dean

I think any carrier would do for a chainsaw, but your brother should
check if there is any import tax to pay. Also there are some items that
simply cannot be imported. I believe every USPS office has a book with
all the details for each foreign nation. Some restrictions are really
weird and unexplicable.
Good luck

Mark Sherman

On 8 Oct 2005 14:34:02 -0700, "Carpenter" wrote:

dean wrote:
Hello all,

My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden
machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price
here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is
a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is
there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine.

Thanks all,

Dean

I think any carrier would do for a chainsaw, but your brother should
check if there is any import tax to pay. Also there are some items that
simply cannot be imported. I believe every USPS office has a book with
all the details for each foreign nation. Some restrictions are really
weird and unexplicable.
Good luck

**** that. Pack it up, label it books and send it off.

Robert Morein

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden
machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price
here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is
a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is
there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine.

Thanks all,

Dean

Open it up, and make sure it is completely drained of gas and lube.
If you have a place in the sun, bake it for an afternoon.
Label it "machine parts", but don't try to cheat on the duty.

Angrie.Woman

Robert Morein wrote:
"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hello all,

My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden
machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price
here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is
a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is
there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine.

Thanks all,

Dean

Open it up, and make sure it is completely drained of gas and lube.
If you have a place in the sun, bake it for an afternoon.
Label it "machine parts", but don't try to cheat on the duty.

It isn't cheating if it really is a gift.

Solar Flare

Gift doesn't matter. Fair market value.

"Angrie.Woman" wrote in message
t...
: Robert Morein wrote:
: "dean" wrote in message
: oups.com...
:
: Hello all,
:
[...]

Arnold Walker

"Solar Flare" wrote in message
Gift doesn't matter. Fair market value.

"Angrie.Woman" wrote in message
t...
: Robert Morein wrote:
: "dean" wrote in message
: oups.com...
:
: Hello all,
:
[...]

Sounds like Ariz. a few years back during a major fire.
UPS shipped chainsaws where flying in from relatives all over US.
When the fire started threatening towns that had brush cutting
restrictions.....

Carpenter

dean wrote:
Hello all,

My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden
machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price
here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is
a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is
there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine.

Thanks all,

Dean

I think any carrier would do for a chainsaw, but your brother should
check if there is any import tax to pay. Also there are some items that
simply cannot be imported. I believe every USPS office has a book with
all the details for each foreign nation. Some restrictions are really
weird and unexplicable.
Good luck

**** that. Pack it up, label it books and send it off.

but first drop Mark comment in the box...

Stormin Mormon

I found out the hard way that US Postal service won't ship anything that
used to contain gasoline. Sold a carburetor on Ebay, and US Snail woulndn't
ship it. I had to take it to UPS oops it out, cost me more than the item
earned. Lost several dollars on that transaction, but it was my mistake.

How about telephone UPS or Fed Ex, and ask them?

The other poster had a good idea, to unscrew the gas cap, and the spark
plug, and leave it outdoors for a day or two to let all traces of gasoline
fumes leave.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

My brother is here from the UK and wants to buy a couple of garden
machines and send them back to the UK, since they are 1/3 of the price
here. Could someone tell me if this is at all possible, and if there is
a company anyone knows that can do this? I think the main problem is
there could be some gasoline vapor in the engine.

Thanks all,

Dean

Stormin Mormon

Brush cutting restrictions in AZ? Sounds like idiocy to me.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Arnold Walker" wrote in message

Sounds like Ariz. a few years back during a major fire.
UPS shipped chainsaws where flying in from relatives all over US.
When the fire started threatening towns that had brush cutting
restrictions.....

dean

You can effectively remove all the gasoline, but it will always smell
like gasoline, it gets absorbed into the rubber seals and the plastics.
I called Fedex and they want a $90 surcharge for hazardous shipment.
UPS wasn't sure but said it would be ok, but I need to call them on
Monday.

Thanks all for the ideas.

Dean

Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
You can effectively remove all the gasoline, but it will always smell
like gasoline, it gets absorbed into the rubber seals and the plastics.
I called Fedex and they want a $90 surcharge for hazardous shipment.
UPS wasn't sure but said it would be ok, but I need to call them on
Monday.

Wrap that sucker in double or triple plastic bags so it will not set off any
sniffing sensors.

dean

My Stihl dealer says its a $10,000 fine for shipping a gasoline engine
illegally. So I want them to be absolutely sure what it is up front, so
I will tell them what it is.

A personal thanks to Mr Pawlowski! You have answered many many of my
(sometimes irritating) questions, and its very much appreciated!

Dean

dean

Dont forget this is international, and almost certainly going by air
and will be inspected.

Solar Flare

Air des not mean it will be inspected any more than pizza is.

It will be exrayed for bombs and weapons. The security people do not care if you
drive a big a chainsaw.

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dont forget this is international, and almost certainly going by air
and will be inspected.

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 11:55:01 -0400, "Solar Flare"
wrote:

Take the gas tank off altogether and ship separately. RC airplane engines are
shipped all the time without problems.

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
My Stihl dealer says its a $10,000 fine for shipping a gasoline engine
illegally. So I want them to be absolutely sure what it is up front, so
I will tell them what it is.

A personal thanks to Mr Pawlowski! You have answered many many of my
(sometimes irritating) questions, and its very much appreciated!

Dean

Can't do - the gas tank is the body of the saw in the majority of
cases.

Ulysses

"dean" wrote in message
ps.com...
My Stihl dealer says its a $10,000 fine for shipping a gasoline engine
illegally. So I want them to be absolutely sure what it is up front, so
I will tell them what it is.

A personal thanks to Mr Pawlowski! You have answered many many of my
(sometimes irritating) questions, and its very much appreciated!

Dean

I suggest you call Fed-Ex. I don't know if they ship to Canada but I got a
new 4 HP engine that was shipped by them. It *used* to have gasoline in it.
They have to test them before the sell them. The shipping was only around
$25 so I don't think there was a "Hazardous Materials" fee or anything. I
also got a 5000 watt generator and it came in a big truck (Consolidated
Freightways perhaps?). It can't be that big of a deal, at least not within
the USA, because generators etc are shipped regularly and usually the
shipping is not all that much except for the fact that they are big and
heavy.

Robert Bates

The easiest would be to buy new equipment and ship it in the original box
with all of the packaging. Just ask the dealer to not service it. As a
former Echo dealer, I used to have products shipped by UPS all of the time
with no problems, the factory packaging is even UPS damage proof. Two
stroke stuff is completely dry of fuel and oil and most of the larger four
stroke stuff had only a couple of ounces of oil that was used when they test
started the engines at the factory. I still don't understand how that could
lubricate adequately for a 30 second run.

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"dean" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

What if one were to give both tanks a quick rinse with methanol,
leaving a small amount in the gas tank? Followed by a few seconds
runtime to purge carb. Then rinse again.