Chris Jarshant

Default pool add-on timing

All,

I'm having a pool built by a general contractor and
want to know which phase of construction is best for
doing the following. I am having the pool built by pros
but I want to do the little stuff myself to save money and
have fun. The phases of the pool are approximately:

Layout
Excavation
Steel
Plumbing
Electrical
Gunite
Pre-Grade
Decking
Tile
Final Grade
Screen
Startup
Cleanup

When should I do these:

1. Re-routing and repairing sprinklers that the excavators destroyed
- Four of five zones ran through backyard and were severed

2. Laying PVC for irrigation/lighting of poolside planters
- I want to put down PVC under the decking/concrete so
that I can later run drip lines and power.

3. PVC up through decking for a gas line later (a fire pit of some kind)

TIA!

cj

There's a lot going on there. I would draw up what you want done and
the layout and ask your pool contractor what they think the order of
things should be.

Sounds like you have a very nice back yard !

Bob G.

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 12:52:47 GMT, Chris Jarshant
wrote:

[...]

=====================================
JUST THINK....of what you might add to your yard in the next 40
years...and plan now.

I put my pool in in 1972.... and over the years I added a 24x40 foot
garage and a 24x24 foor workshop in the back yard...plus two pretty
big fish ponds...

The only thing I really screwed up on is that now I can not add water
to one of the fish ponds without dragging out a water hose...not a bif
deal BUT if I had installed something like a 4 inch PVC pipe under the
walkways etc I could have ran a water line under the walkway or
decking...

When I installed my pool skimmer lines and return lines I installed
DOUBLE lines to them ....the second line is connected but is easily
reached outside the decking area so if one failed I did not have to do
any tunneling or brealing up the concrete to get to the skimmers
etc....yes it ran me about 30 extra bucks for the PVC ...never needed
them...but still money well spent...

plan ahead so you can add electric or water 25 years from now to the
other side of the pool area IF YOU CAN...

Bob G.
How was I to know that I would get into serious woodworking and
collecting cars back in the early 70's ...and the ponds were added to
eleminate cutting grass in a couple fo difficult to mow areas...of the
lawn...