jymusic

Default Would temporarily replacing inner screens with sheets of plex-glass save heating costs?

My house has casement windows, with dual pane glass. The windows have
screens on the inside. The screen frame units can easily be removed by hand
in about 5 seconds. Suppose I were to have sheets of plex-glass cut to the
same size as the entire screen frame, and, for the heating season, removed
the screen frame and simply slide in the plexi-sheets where the screen
frames normally go. Would having the sheet of plex-glass there result in
significant savings on winter energy costs, or would it not be worth the
trouble? Would doing this harm the windows in any way due to heat buildup
from sunlight, etc.?

Thanks,

JY

My original melodic anti-religious alternative rock songs can be heard he
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=411213

Joseph Meehan

jymusic wrote:
My house has casement windows, with dual pane glass. The windows have
screens on the inside. The screen frame units can easily be removed
by hand in about 5 seconds. Suppose I were to have sheets of
plex-glass cut to the same size as the entire screen frame, and, for
the heating season, removed the screen frame and simply slide in the
plexi-sheets where the screen frames normally go. Would having the
sheet of plex-glass there result in significant savings on winter
energy costs, or would it not be worth the trouble? Would doing this
harm the windows in any way due to heat buildup from sunlight, etc.?

Thanks,

JY

My original melodic anti-religious alternative rock songs can be
heard he
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=411213

You would have nothing more than storm windows. It should be fine an
reduce heating cost.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

No

This is done, not quite as you describe.

What you describe will be half ass but cheap

To do it right - Take your screens into an old fashion hardware store. The
one that has a screen/window repair service in the basement. Ask them to
make you storm windows that match the dimensions of the screens. There may
also be kits at the Blue, or orange, store to do this yourself. They
hardware store may also be able to order you safety glass which will look a
lot better.

Plexi glass flexes a lot, scratches easily and will look shabby after a year
or two.

I worked for years in a dark basement making and fixing windows and screens
at an old fashioned hardware store.

"jymusic" wrote in message
My house has casement windows, with dual pane glass. The windows have
screens on the inside. The screen frame units can easily be removed by
hand in about 5 seconds. Suppose I were to have sheets of plex-glass cut
to the same size as the entire screen frame, and, for the heating season,
removed the screen frame and simply slide in the plexi-sheets where the
screen frames normally go. Would having the sheet of plex-glass there
result in significant savings on winter energy costs, or would it not be
worth the trouble? Would doing this harm the windows in any way due to
heat buildup from sunlight, etc.?

Thanks,

JY

My original melodic anti-religious alternative rock songs can be heard
he
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=411213

Goedjn

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 20:36:59 GMT, "jymusic"
wrote:

My house has casement windows, with dual pane glass. The windows have
screens on the inside. The screen frame units can easily be removed by hand
in about 5 seconds. Suppose I were to have sheets of plex-glass cut to the
same size as the entire screen frame, and, for the heating season, removed
the screen frame and simply slide in the plexi-sheets where the screen
frames normally go. Would having the sheet of plex-glass there result in
significant savings on winter energy costs, or would it not be worth the
trouble? Would doing this harm the windows in any way due to heat buildup
from sunlight, etc.?

Why don't you just wrap the screens in clear plastic, and stick
them back in?
jymusic

Why don't you just wrap the screens in clear plastic, and stick
them back in?

I may try that, but I think the plexiglass might look better.

JY my melodic agnostic rock songs are he
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=411213

SQLit

"jymusic" wrote in message
[...]

significant? probably not. You might save what it will cost in the
Plexiglas.

EXT

My casement windows don't have a very good seal around the screens, good
enough to keep out the bugs but not good enough to prevent air infiltration
and water vapor to get past the insert. I think you will find enough air and
water vapor will get past to condense and freeze on the outer thermopane
glass and cause more problems than you solve.

"jymusic" wrote in message
[...]

Grandpa

jymusic wrote:
My house has casement windows, with dual pane glass. The windows have
screens on the inside. The screen frame units can easily be removed by hand
in about 5 seconds. Suppose I were to have sheets of plex-glass cut to the
same size as the entire screen frame, and, for the heating season, removed
the screen frame and simply slide in the plexi-sheets where the screen
frames normally go. Would having the sheet of plex-glass there result in
significant savings on winter energy costs, or would it not be worth the
trouble? Would doing this harm the windows in any way due to heat buildup
from sunlight, etc.?

Thanks,

JY

You had better take into account the thermal expansion of the plexi if
you do this. Due to shading effects, the expansion/contraction may not
be uniform either.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.

I cut the wire out of the screen inserts to some Andersen windows last year,
then added shrink film over both sides of the insert frame, then added cheap
storm windows, with another layer of shrink film over the storm frame inside
the glass, so these windows have 2 layers of glass, then 3 shrink films, then
another layer of glass. They've held up well, with glass protecting plastic,
and the optical quality is good.

Nick

Jeff

You want the best air tight seal to be on the inside window, so that moist
home air doesn't get between the inner and next pane and cause condensation.
This might cause a problem with your idea. I'd try with one window to see
if this is a problem.