Default Old gas converted coal furnace

Hello.

I stumbled on this list while trying to Google search for information
on coal furnaces that have been converted to gas. My 1917 house has
this situation and it seems to work fine, my issue is I am not all that
familiar with how to understand it. Since it is a converted furnace, I
cannot just find a standard service manual and work from there.

Any suggestions and/or advice?

In general principal, I think I understand how the forced hot water
system works. There is a lower chamber with the fire burner that heats
a reservoir of water. When the water is sufficiently heated, the water
pump forces the water through the system.

Thank you,
Chris

--
chrisduff
chrisduff's Profile: http://homeimprovement.mylounge.us/m...p?userid=18796

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
My 1917 house has
this situation and it seems to work fine, my issue is I am not all that
familiar with how to understand it. Since it is a converted furnace, I
cannot just find a standard service manual and work from there.

The burner itself may have a manual or brand name. That would be a start.

Any suggestions and/or advice?

In general principal, I think I understand how the forced hot water
system works. There is a lower chamber with the fire burner that heats
a reservoir of water. When the water is sufficiently heated, the water
pump forces the water through the system.

Sort of. The thermostat call for heat. The thermostat is essentially a
switch and the switch closes and starts the water to circulate. Another
thermostat (aquastat actually) senses that the water is not hot enough so
that will start the burner. The burner heats the water until the stat says
to shut off. Meantime, water is circulating and giving off heat to through
the radiators to the house.

This is very simplified and there are other controls, fill haves, safety
valves, thermocouples, gas valves that all must work at some point.

You may want to check if for efficiency. It may be possible to save a lot
of heating cost with a new boiler. "FWIW, furnaces heat air, boilers heat
water or make steam.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/