Default Well water brown

I have well water and live in VA. I sometimes notice that the water
comes out brown (maybe a ting of red to it). I see it when I fill a
bath or after I flush the toilet. It's not always there. I have read
some of the previous threads that address this, but some aspects of my
situation are different.

If you fill a glass of water and compare it to clear water, you will
definitely notice it. But it's not extremely "muddy".

If you fill the tub, it doesn't end after a few seconds like some other
people. It goes for a while - it can be more than a tub full.

Another thing that makes my situation unique, we had a fire in our
basement and were out of our house for 2 months (so no water usage).
Plus, after the fire, all the plumbing equipment that was in the
basement was replaced (i.e., hot water heater, tank, and water
neutralizer).

I don't remember seeing water like this before the fire (except when
the water had been shut off and then turned back on, then we'd see if
for 10 seconds after we turned it back on).

Thanks.

The Reverend Natural Light

That seems to happen when a well sits unused for a while. Some friends
of mine bought a house that had been vacant for months. The water was
red/brown for the first couple of months after they moved in.

My well had not been used for 3+ years before I bought it. The water
was red/brown so badly that you couldn't see through a glass of water
and it would get worse the more water I used. I installed a
whole-house filter that gave me clear tap water but the filters would
plug in a week or two. Finally I called a well drilling company. They
raised the pump a few feet in the well and then ran it completely dry.
It took over 40 minutes, running full blast directly from the well
head, to run it down. The color got worse continously for the first 20
minutes, leaving a streak of red down the lawn, and then began
clearing. By the end it was almost totally clear and has been that way
ever since.

Both of those examples are drilled wells in Northern VA.

Perhaps you just need to water the lawn for a while every night and/or
install a filter. Get the water tested regardless. Lots of nasties
can find their way in if things aren't right.

-rev

Red Neckerson

'Iffin' it's brown, flush it down!"

Muddy Waters indeed!

The gypsy woman told my mother
Before I was born
I got a boy child's comin'
He's gonna be a son of a gun
He gonna make pretty womens
Jump and shout
Then the world wanna know
What this all about
But you know I'm him
Everybody knows I'm him
Well you know I'm the hoochie coochie man
Everybody knows I'm him

I got a black cat bone
I got a mojo too
I got the Johnny conkeroo
I'm gonna mess with you
I'm gonna make you girls
Lead me by my hand
Then the world will know
The hoochie coochie man
But you know I'm him
Everybody knows I'm him
Oh you know I'm the hoochie coochie man
Everybody knows I'm him

On the seventh hours
On the seventh day
On the seventh month
The seven doctors say
He was born for good luck
And that you'll see
I got seven hundred dollars
Don't you mess with me
But you know I'm him
Everybody knows I'm him
Well you know I'm the hoochie coochie man
Everybody knows I'm him

Dr. Hardcrab

"Red Neckerson" wrote

I got a black cat bone
I got a mojo too
I got the Johnny conkeroo

Wasn't he the guy that defended OJ Simpson and also died this past year?

Duane, thanks for the response. Not sure how deep the well is; I'll
look into that. The house is 18 years old, so I believe the well is
that old too.

We've been back in the house for close to 6 months and it's still
happening. I think you're right, getting it tested makes sense.

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM