Duane Bozarth

I have well water and live in VA. I sometimes notice that the water
comes out brown (maybe a ting of red to it). I see it when I fill a
bath or after I flush the toilet. It's not always there. I have read
some of the previous threads that address this, but some aspects of my
situation are different.

If you fill a glass of water and compare it to clear water, you will
definitely notice it. But it's not extremely "muddy".

If you fill the tub, it doesn't end after a few seconds like some other
people. It goes for a while - it can be more than a tub full.

Another thing that makes my situation unique, we had a fire in our
basement and were out of our house for 2 months (so no water usage).
Plus, after the fire, all the plumbing equipment that was in the
basement was replaced (i.e., hot water heater, tank, and water
neutralizer).

I don't remember seeing water like this before the fire (except when
the water had been shut off and then turned back on, then we'd see if
for 10 seconds after we turned it back on).

Thanks.

You either have well infiltration somewhere letting in sediment (the
rusty color sounds suspiciously like red VA clay) or you may be seing
effects of rain causing some muddying of the well. Both could be
symptoms of pinhole in the casing. How old is the well and how deep?