The Reverend Natural Light

That seems to happen when a well sits unused for a while. Some friends
of mine bought a house that had been vacant for months. The water was
red/brown for the first couple of months after they moved in.

My well had not been used for 3+ years before I bought it. The water
was red/brown so badly that you couldn't see through a glass of water
and it would get worse the more water I used. I installed a
whole-house filter that gave me clear tap water but the filters would
plug in a week or two. Finally I called a well drilling company. They
raised the pump a few feet in the well and then ran it completely dry.
It took over 40 minutes, running full blast directly from the well
head, to run it down. The color got worse continously for the first 20
minutes, leaving a streak of red down the lawn, and then began
clearing. By the end it was almost totally clear and has been that way
ever since.

Both of those examples are drilled wells in Northern VA.

Perhaps you just need to water the lawn for a while every night and/or
install a filter. Get the water tested regardless. Lots of nasties
can find their way in if things aren't right.

-rev