Default slate in bedroom ?

I need to replace the carpet in our master bedroom. We were planning on
laying slate tile and then a large area rug on top.

A few people have told me this would lower the resale value
(relative to wood flooring). What do people think?

Thanks,
Homi

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...

I need to replace the carpet in our master bedroom. We were planning on
laying slate tile and then a large area rug on top.

A few people have told me this would lower the resale value
(relative to wood flooring). What do people think?

I would not buy a house with slate in the bedroom.

Harry

Depends where you live. We have slate in our bathrooms - foyer -
kitchen. It feels great on your feet in the morning - we live in
Florida. As one gets older - it is more stable on your balance to have
tile or wood - instead of carpet. Also carpet builds up dirt - pollen -
and mold - even when you clean it often.

Currently my home is half tile - half carpet. I plan to swap out the
carpet with wood shortly.

Harry
Banty

In article , Norminn says...

wrote:
I need to replace the carpet in our master bedroom. We were planning on
laying slate tile and then a large area rug on top.

A few people have told me this would lower the resale value
(relative to wood flooring). What do people think?

Thanks,
Homi

You must be planning on staying a while since you are considering a
fairly big and expensive project. I have no clue what it would do to
the resale value. Depending on structure and climate, it might make the
room a good deal more difficult to keep warm in winter. I once had a
little house on slab, poor insulation, and the north end was much colder
in winter due to wind and cold slab.

Question - can carpet be installed over slate? Or even a large area rug
provided, to go with the house, for sale when staging the house for sale?

That way, he can get what he *wants* to live with, then turn it around for sale
when he's ready to sale.

Unless one is going to move in the next coupla years, it doesn't make sense to
be making someone else's house.

Banty

gd226

so... the impetus for this project is that our dogs have trashed the
existing carpet - necessitating a more durable, cleanable replacement
(either a wood or tile).
Regardless of which one we choose, we'll put down a large area rug for
protection and noise.
As far as the cold issue, winters here in colorado can be chilly, and
we're planning on radiant floor heat.

We like the look of slate, but don't want to do something that will
make the place tough to sell in the future.
The house makes use of stone/concrete as a common theme and already has
alot of unique features (some pics at
http://www.pbase.com/homi/home_inside )
The master bath floor and shower are slate, the first floor is mostly a
saltillo-looking tile, the kitchen backsplash is travertine, and the
sinks and counters in the kitchen, master bath and wetbar are concrete.

We're certainly appreciating everyone's thoughts... keep em coming !
Homi

MrC1

The only thing that determines what this would do toyour resale value is the
prospective buyer's opinion. Personally, I'd love to have slate in the
bedroom. Too cold? Throw an area rug over it in winter - duh! I have
absolutely no understanding why someone would make a comment like "I would
not buy a house that has slate in the bedroom". Geeze, it's not like this
somehow made the house EVIL or something! haha It's one minor detail -
please!

Personally, I would love it if I had slate in the bedroom and bath area.
The house I just bought a couple years ago is carpeted in those areas, but I
bought it anyway cause there's alot more to the house than just the little
bit of flooring. Besides, it can be changed - and I can then pick out
exactly what I want. (I actually DO plan to install tile of some kind at
some point.)

"gd226" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...

I need to replace the carpet in our master bedroom. We were planning on
laying slate tile and then a large area rug on top.

A few people have told me this would lower the resale value
(relative to wood flooring). What do people think?

Thanks,
Homi

If this is what you want then do it. I personally have an all tile home.
I have had wood and do not like the damage it sustains under normal use. I
am into low maintenance.

You do not mention the area of the country your in. Slate in the winter
could cool off your bedroom several degrees. I live where heat is almost an
after thought so slippers and a set of sweats in the coldest of days is fine
with me.

Dan Espen

"gd226" writes:

so... the impetus for this project is that our dogs have trashed the
existing carpet - necessitating a more durable, cleanable replacement
(either a wood or tile).

Slate is soft and scratches easily.
The dogs are going to trash the slate too.
The dogs belong outside.
Banty

In article om, gd226 says...

[...]

Homi, I took a look at your link - the buyer of *your* house, whenever it is you
do decide to sell, will *not* be put off by slate in your bedroom. It's not a
little ol' split level that some conventional family will want move-in to their
conventional standards, to be sure! (Don't take offense, anyone reading this -
I just have a little ol' 3 bdr rancher, myself.) It'd be someone who is into
that kind of aesthetic.

So, slate away, I think it would be marvelous. The only thing that comes to
mine was that my late father's house was largely tiled for similar reasons. It
was creamy-white tile, so had a "cold" look (but your slate won't have that
problem), and it did reverberate sounds a lot.

So I'd give some consideration to make sure that you have draperies that are
heavy enough and upholstery, etc., enough to tone that down.

But, other than that, especially since you have the radiant heat in that floor,
I think slate is a wonderful idea.

Banty

Banty

In article om, gd226 says...

[...]

:artly tongue in cheek rant warning::

What IS IT with wooden floors in the kitchen!! Even YOU, with such an
appreciation for tile and stone and slate, put that GODDAM WOOD in the KITCHEN!

Ten years from now, folks will turn up their noses at the wood floors in all
these two-thousand-ought (year 2001 - 2010) kitchens, just like they turn their
noses up justifiably at those '80s carpeted bathrooms! It'll be dated in ten
years, esp. when folks are tiling over that stained and water damaged stuff.

Come ON - YOU, with all those other options, all that taste, and all that
appreciation for all those materials which would make wonderful floors, put
those STICKS on the floor of your KITCHEN??!?

I LOVED the rest of your house, then I saw that DUMB wood everyone is putting in
their kitchens nowdays. It just looks duuuuumb.

HmmmmPH!!

::end rant::

Cheers,
Banty (TILE going into MY kitchen!)

Angrie.Woman

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I need to replace the carpet in our master bedroom. We were planning on
laying slate tile and then a large area rug on top.

A few people have told me this would lower the resale value
(relative to wood flooring). What do people think?

I would not buy a house with slate in the bedroom.

I would. I'd prefer that over carpet any day.

DrLith

Banty wrote:
In article om, gd226 says...

[...]

To join the "jump on homi" bandwagon: not only did I think the placement
of tile and wood in the kitchen was backward (wood on the floor, tile on
the peninsula), but the tres moderne travertine looks thoroughly out of
place with the tres rustique knotty pine. There's a certain "half rustic
lodge, half upscale spa" feel to the whole place that just isn't working
for me! But as the handmade modern guy says, "if you love it, then it's
perfect."

If you really want to know how the slate floors would affect the resale
value, you might consult with a realtor who does a lot of high-end
listings in your area. That will help take a lot of the emotion out it.
Caledonia

Banty wrote:

Ten years from now, folks will turn up their noses at the wood floors in all
these two-thousand-ought (year 2001 - 2010) kitchens, just like they turn their
noses up justifiably at those '80s carpeted bathrooms! It'll be dated in ten
years, esp. when folks are tiling over that stained and water damaged stuff.

I had no idea that wood floors were trendy, and am now sitting a little
taller, thinking, "Howzabout that, our house is trendy!". My current
house is new construction (1950's) trying very very hard to look old
with wide plank floors throughout. My prior house was older
construction (1880's), just looking very 1880s, with wide plank wood
floors throughout.

Come ON - YOU, with all those other options, all that taste, and all that
appreciation for all those materials which would make wonderful floors, put
those STICKS on the floor of your KITCHEN??!?

I LOVED the rest of your house, then I saw that DUMB wood everyone is putting in
their kitchens nowdays. It just looks duuuuumb.

Caledonia

(Now wondering, are kitchen fireplaces also trendy? Could I be topping
out the trend-o-meter without even realizing it? And maybe my chessy
little 12 over 12 windows could secretly be cool....a world of
possibilities ahead

Goedjn

On 30 Sep 2005 10:11:19 -0700, "gd226" wrote:

so... the impetus for this project is that our dogs have trashed the
existing carpet - necessitating a more durable, cleanable replacement
(either a wood or tile).
Regardless of which one we choose, we'll put down a large area rug for
protection and noise.
As far as the cold issue, winters here in colorado can be chilly, and
we're planning on radiant floor heat.

I'd be more worried about the weight. If the upper floor
was marginal in the first place, adding the tile/slate might
make it unacceptably bouncy/saggy.

Goedjn

alot of unique features (some pics at
http://www.pbase.com/homi/home_inside )
The master bath floor and shower are slate, the first floor is mostly a
saltillo-looking tile, the kitchen backsplash is travertine, and the
sinks and counters in the kitchen, master bath and wetbar are concrete.

Homi, I took a look at your link - the buyer of *your* house, whenever it is you
do decide to sell, will *not* be put off by slate in your bedroom. It's not a
little ol' split level that some conventional family will want move-in to their

I want to know how you got that serpentine stairway past the building
inspector. Isn't that a technical violation of building code?

--Goedjn

Banty

In article , DrLith says...

Banty wrote:
In article om, gd226 says...

[...]

Actually, *that* I like. And I don't care if "knotty pine" has been assigned to
"rustic style" and "travertine" is supposedly "modern". I think they look good
together. Just think it could be better grounded by a stone or tile floor

In the shower stall there - does it also *feel* like you're standing on pebbles?

Banty (house is ex-country, slowing going toward a mix of mission, western, and
modern, but whotheheckcares...)

Banty

In article .com, Caledonia
says...

Banty wrote:

Ten years from now, folks will turn up their noses at the wood floors in all
these two-thousand-ought (year 2001 - 2010) kitchens, just like they turn their
noses up justifiably at those '80s carpeted bathrooms! It'll be dated in ten
years, esp. when folks are tiling over that stained and water damaged stuff.

I had no idea that wood floors were trendy, and am now sitting a little
taller, thinking, "Howzabout that, our house is trendy!". My current
house is new construction (1950's) trying very very hard to look old
with wide plank floors throughout. My prior house was older
construction (1880's), just looking very 1880s, with wide plank wood
floors throughout.

Hey - the '50s and '60s are back! Boomerang-formica and everything.

Else everyone's trying to look like 1912...

Banty

Charles Spitzer

"Goedjn" wrote in message
news

alot of unique features (some pics at
http://www.pbase.com/homi/home_inside )
The master bath floor and shower are slate, the first floor is mostly a
saltillo-looking tile, the kitchen backsplash is travertine, and the
sinks and counters in the kitchen, master bath and wetbar are concrete.

Homi, I took a look at your link - the buyer of *your* house, whenever it
is you
do decide to sell, will *not* be put off by slate in your bedroom. It's
not a
little ol' split level that some conventional family will want move-in to
their

and that shower floor must be a bear to stand on for any period of time. i
used tiny pebbles around the drain, but used tile for the rest.

I want to know how you got that serpentine stairway past the building
inspector. Isn't that a technical violation of building code?

--Goedjn

Dan

gd226 wrote:
The house makes use of stone/concrete as a common theme and already has
alot of unique features (some pics at
http://www.pbase.com/homi/home_inside )

Way cool!

Dan
Todd H.

Banty writes:

Homi, I took a look at your link - the buyer of *your* house, whenever it is you
do decide to sell, will *not* be put off by slate in your bedroom. It's not a
little ol' split level that some conventional family will want move-in to their
conventional standards, to be sure! (Don't take offense, anyone reading this -
I just have a little ol' 3 bdr rancher, myself.) It'd be someone who is into
that kind of aesthetic.

I took a look at the link too. It's a unique home, very slick, and
slate in the bedroom isn't gonna sway anyone either way.

Now, slate in the bedroom in a more tract housing-like home would be a
polarizing point, but not in a spiffy custom joint like this.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

gd226

Banty, I sense you don't like wood in the kitchen ; )

As much as I'd like to take credit for the place, the house was redone
in 2000, and we bought it only last year. We're still
furnishing/fixing, etc.

I agree wood isn't the most functional flooring for a kitchen, but I
can think of why the builder did it this way.
As you walk down the main hallway (saltillo-tiled), you step down into
a dining/lounging area (wood).
The kitchen essentially makes up the far corner of this lounge area
(see pic http://www.pbase.com/homi/image/50047557 )
There's really no threshold between the kitchen and lounge, and the
wood floor in this lounge area works better than if the saltillo were
continued.
I can't envision having a different type of tile abutting the saltillo,
that would look funny.

Eventual plans include a fireplace set flush in the flagstone veneer
(red square in above pic)

thanks for your thoughts
Homi

gd226

Yes the kitchen is a little schizo, but it's a great conversation piece
(and a great place to hang out, too)

the realtor that I talked to didn't tell me what I wanted to hear ; )

gd226

heh heh. very helpful : )

gd226

geez, I sure hope not.
haven't had anyone fall down it... yet.

what would be the violation?

gd226

it actually is really comfy... they're 3-5" river stones, highly
recommended

Homi

gd226

they're fairly smooth river stones. it's a pleasure to stand on

Homi

Joseph Meehan

Banty wrote:
In article om,
gd226 says...

[...]

I must be way ahead of my time. I put a wood floor in my kitchen in
1968. I still like it. The house was over 100 years old at the time and I
took out sheet flooring to put in the wood and found that under the sheet
was another wood floor. I suspect 30 years from now wood will be back in.
So why worry what you or I think. The home owner should please themselves.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Sue

In article om,
"gd226" wrote:

We like the look of slate, but don't want to do something that will
make the place tough to sell in the future.
The house makes use of stone/concrete as a common theme and already has
alot of unique features (some pics at
http://www.pbase.com/homi/home_inside )
The master bath floor and shower are slate, the first floor is mostly a
saltillo-looking tile, the kitchen backsplash is travertine, and the
sinks and counters in the kitchen, master bath and wetbar are concrete.

We're certainly appreciating everyone's thoughts... keep em coming !
Homi

I think you have a lovely unique house and you guys obviously have great
taste, and any one that will like the rest of your house will be just
fine with slate in the bedroom, especially with the radiant heat
underneath.

KLS

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:36:09 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

The dogs belong outside.

So do you.
Andy Hill

"gd226" wrote:
[...]

That home already has tons of personality (meaning, a certain % of folks will
run screaming from it, which translates into a harder-to-sell home). Adding
additional personality ain't gonna change that. Go with what you want in the
bedroom -- the radiant floor heat pretty much negates the only serious downside
of stone on the bedroom floor -- everything else is esthetics.
Banty

In article , Joseph Meehan says...

Banty wrote:
In article om,
gd226 says...

[...]

Oh absolutely.

Though I *do* think the wood floors in the kitchen is just a trend a lot of
people are doing 'cause it's the thing (not everyone who does it, of course).

And, true, in another 30 years it'll come back again.

I just don't like it in the kitchen floor.

It's just that, given the rest of his house, I'm amazed to see yet another bunch
of sticks on a kitchen floor. I was looking for granite tile or blue slate or
who-knows-what there. Travertine, anyway.

Cheers,
Banty

Goedjn

geez, I sure hope not.
haven't had anyone fall down it... yet.

what would be the violation?

I THOUGHT that there was a regulation about
all the steps having to be the same shape,
between landings.

Caledonia

Banty wrote:

Hey - the '50s and '60s are back! Boomerang-formica and everything.

Else everyone's trying to look like 1912...

Darn. Despite the 1950's construction, we're sporting the Ye Olde New
England look (think Royal Barry Wills).

So much for my moment of trendiness. Shoulda known it wouldn't last....

Caledonia