Art M

Default 3/4" vs. 1" pipe for service line to house

Just wondering if there is any reason to use 1" pipe when replacing my
service line. I'm thinking there isn't since 3/4" pipe is running through
the slab to the main shut off valve, and I won't be replacing that.

--Art

Bill

You will get more water with a larger pipe and if you have a 1" pipe from
the main to the meter, but a 3/4" meter, you would have the option of
"upgrading" to a 1" meter. This all would come in handy if you want a lawn
sprinkler system or outside water faucets. Then in theory you would have
more water flow inside your house while watering outside and more water flow
outside.

In my case I want to eventually install a lawn sprinkler system, so I would
prefer a 1" main.

Note: My city requires a 1" main for new service and I think replacement of
existing mains as well.

"Art M" wrote in message
Just wondering if there is any reason to use 1" pipe when replacing my
service line. I'm thinking there isn't since 3/4" pipe is running through
the slab to the main shut off valve, and I won't be replacing that.

--Art

Sherman

"Art M" wrote in message
Just wondering if there is any reason to use 1" pipe when replacing my
service line. I'm thinking there isn't since 3/4" pipe is running through
the slab to the main shut off valve, and I won't be replacing that.

--Art

I agree. I've suffered the misery of having a 3/4 inch line.
I recommend you go with 1 inch line up to the slab.

By the way, that line in the slab will eventually clog with sediment
and need replacing or bypassing. Don't worry, it is not that big a
task. A jack hammer and boring tools will make short work of it.

BobK207

Go with the 1" copper tube, you"ll be happier.

I did 25 years ago & the flow to the house, sprinklers & hoses is
just great.

Hose shoots water 40' while the washer is filling!

cheers
Bob

Art M

"Art M" wrote in message
Just wondering if there is any reason to use 1" pipe when replacing my
service line. I'm thinking there isn't since 3/4" pipe is running
through
the slab to the main shut off valve, and I won't be replacing that.

--Art

I agree. I've suffered the misery of having a 3/4 inch line.
I recommend you go with 1 inch line up to the slab.

By the way, that line in the slab will eventually clog with sediment
and need replacing or bypassing. Don't worry, it is not that big a
task. A jack hammer and boring tools will make short work of it.

Well, I'm not looking forward to that. I was in a hurry and didn't check
back here, so I went with 3/4". Thanks anyways for the responses.

--Art

Olaf

"Art M" wrote in message
Just wondering if there is any reason to use 1" pipe when replacing my
service line. I'm thinking there isn't since 3/4" pipe is running through
the slab to the main shut off valve, and I won't be replacing that.

--Art

Heh, all these stories about how 3/4" isn't enough. I have 5/8" coming in
which was reduced to 1/2" shortly after the meter.

My water pressure is fine.... as long as only one fixture is open at a time.

I planned on replacing most of the plumbing and only using 1/2" to feed off
of the main, which was going to be kept at 3/4" throughout. I wonder if I
should just think about having my main changed to 1". Then they could change
my crumby 3" main sewer line while they're at it. I can't believe turds can
flow through there. :-D