FurPaw

Default whirlpool baths question

We're adding a master suite with a bathroom large enough to
accommodate a whirlpool (jetted). I'm not convinced that we will
use a whirlpool often enough to justify a huge expense, so I'm
curious about your collective experience with "low end" whirlpools.
I'm trying to keep the cost of parts (tub+motor, faucets, drain
assembly, in-line heater, timer, trim kits) under $2000 - 2500.

So far I've looked at the Jacuzzi Espree at Lowes, and at several of
Kohler's lower priced models (such as Devonshire-1357, and models
1157 and 1148). All but the Devonshire are 72x36, using 65-80
gallons. The Devonshire is a 5' tub.

I plan to use an in-line heater and drop-installation with a tiled
surround. Our contractor will install the tub.

What is your experience with any of these models? Or any other
low-end models?

What size hot water tank would you recommend? Special plumbing
(like 3/4" pipe)? Is a 1 or 1.25 hp motor adequate?

I'd appreciate any and all advice!

TIA -

Carol
--
"Don't believe everything that you think."
- Seen on a bumper sticker

To reply, unleash the dog
BobK207

I have a ~one person whrilpool bath that must need about 50 gallons to
fill. I would consider it a low end unit (not a lot of features & came
with the house) If I adjust the input temp to my desired final temp I
"run out" of hot water before it's full. Actually the incoming temp
falls below useable. I have got a 75 gallon WH.

So I have to run in all hot at first & then cold near the end of the
fill. The cold water is down near 45 in the winter.

IMO the current tub I have ~72 x 36 is too small AND it sorely needs
some sort of "reheater" as the water temp (in winter) qucikly falls
below comfortable preventing a low leisurely soat w/o having to
repeatedly adjust the water temp

Only you can decide about the size & cost of the unit. but IMO you'll
remember the lack of performance low after you've forgotten the bargain
price.

When I get my wife to agree I would to remove the small one we've got &
replace it with a bigger one with a pre-heat / re-heat festure.

I don't know the hp of our current tub but 1 or 1.25 seems more than
adequate for a tub. We have an outdoor above ground spa that fits 4
easily / 6 more snugly (~8' x 8') and it has two jet motors; one ~ 1
hp & the other ~3 hp

I would definitely go with 3/4" pipe to the tub; you want to fill it in
a resaonable amount of time.

cheers
Bob

More and more, I hear people say they could care less whether a master
bathroom has a large, jetted tub or any tub at all. When talking about
bathrooms, many people think of counter space, large showers, and
storage.
If you are considering the tub for when you sell the house, then you
have to look at the market rather than your own comfort. After all,
you bought the house without a jetted tub, so someone else will buy it
from you.

SQLit

"FurPaw" wrote in message
[...]

I installed a American Standard (60wide x 20 tall) jetted tub from Lowes,
~$300. No heater, just a pump. The water from the tap is enough for me. I
could not justify the cost of an booster heater and the electrical circuit
it required.
I installed a new 30 gallon gas heater and the tub holds just about what the
hot water tank can produce on the middle of the road setting. I always
shower afterwards and the heater is still catching up for awhile after the
shower.

Next one of these I install I might consider porcelain.

I have 6 jets and a 1 hp pump. If there were more jets it would need more
power.

Do not forget about a good high volume exhaust fan. The humidity climbs in
my home when I use it. I use my tub for reading and relaxing 3-4 times a
week. If your a bath person then by all means. If your not you probably are
just spending more money.

gk

FurPaw wrote:

[...]

I bought a ~6x3 ft tub from HD about 3 years ago, for ~$700. It was so
much cheaper than any other whirlpool tib I priced it was ridiculous. It
is an american standard, and the guy at HD said it was a special deal
with HD, and it was aa ridiculous price. As far as the quality, I am
sure there are better, but I like it. It fits two peple nicely, and I
can fit in it great ( I am 6'1").

BUT, we dont use it a whole lot.

Another Whirlpool Agitator Question mypet Home Repair 11 September 19th 05 12:21 AM
Fitting whirlpool baths - Is it much more difficult? Colin Docherty UK diy 4 January 26th 05 11:56 PM
Whirlpool Dishwasher pump problem? Ted Home Repair 0 December 19th 04 03:35 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM