r1013

Default Capacitor died in my AC Unit

A breaker tripped yesterday which goes to the AC unit. I reset it and
it was working last night and this morning. This afternoon when I got
home from work, it was tripped again. I reset it and it tripped back
again.. I tried two more times and the AC unit finally cut on. I
looked out the back door and smoke was coming from the unit!!!.. I
flipped the breaker off.. and when I took the panel off the unit.. the
capacitor was smoking and of the three connections.. one was black and
melted..

Its simple to replace it.. if I find another.. Is this a situation
where I should replace it.. or does it sound like another problem?

I appreciate any suggestions

All the words on the unit are faded except the word Goodman.

Here is the info off the capacitor:
Dielektrol Capacitor
97F5368
010000AFC 89-27Z112
242808-30
9457-5400
CAPACITOR, 35 MFD, 440VAC, CAN, FILM COMPOSITION, =B16% TOLERANCE

I looked on the internet for another one but I only came up with one
site that carried it.. and they had a 25 qty order limit??

Telstra

The Compressor is PSC Permanent split capacitor
The Capacitor being connected between the Start
and Run stator windings. The capacitor is sized for
power factor correction and starting.
A second capacitor is connected to the condenser
fan motor.
The burnt out capacitor indicates a fault in the stator
windings of either the compressor or condenser fan
motor

"r1013" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

CAPACITOR, 35 MFD, 440VAC, CAN, FILM COMPOSITION, ±6% TOLERANCE

I looked on the internet for another one but I only came up with one
site that carried it.. and they had a 25 qty order limit??

Greg O

"r1013" wrote in message
ups.com...

Its simple to replace it.. if I find another.. Is this a situation
where I should replace it.. or does it sound like another problem?

The problem was probably the burnt connection. Capacitors just simply fail
sometimes. Fix the connection and replace the capacitor. if something else
is wrong the capacitor was a cheap test!
Try a local motor shop, or HVAC company for a new cap.
Greg

r1013

Thanks Telstra and Greg. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Anthony Berlin

It is also in large part misleading and incorrect, capacitor failure in most
cases, is simply a symptom of the true fault.

"r1013" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Telstra and Greg. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Stretch

Capacitors fail all the time, even when nothing else is wrong. If the
winding resistance is correct and the megohm reading is above 100
megohms, there is nothing wrong with the compressor motor. This is
normally the case. Just replace the capacitor and repair the
connections. When you have very hot weather as we did this summer,
capacitor failure rate goes up. We went through a lot of them this
summer.

You can chect with Goodman reps to determine the proper size capacitor
for your unit. There should be a model number outside and a copy
inside your unit. You should never reset a breaker as often as you did
without finding out what trips it. You are lucky you did no more
damage than that. Get someone to test windings with a megohmmeter and
winding resistance with a sensitive ohmmeter before proceding.

Stretch

r1013

Thanks Anthony and Stretch..

I appreciate your advice also. Ill pick up a new capacitor today at an
HVAC store. Ill put it on and then when my friend that does this type
of work comes back next week.. It will be ready for him to test from
there. That way he wont have to run out and get the part.. put it on
ect.. and it will save a little time. Not money as he usually is a
pain about taking any. I just want t feel apart like I helped.

Thanks again

Oscar_Lives

Better be sure to repair the problem that caused the capacitor to blow in
the first place before putting in a new one. The OP was lucky it was just
the capacitor that blew--it could have been a lot worse...

"Pop" wrote in message
Bring the cap to a local repair shop; they'll have replacements
laying around.

"r1013" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Greg O

"Anthony Berlin" wrote in message
. ..

It is also in large part misleading and incorrect, capacitor failure in
most
cases, is simply a symptom of the true fault.

Most cases?? Some cases perhaps.
I replace many capacitors a year on AC units. Meg the motors, slap in a cap
and it runs for years in most cases.
Greg

Greg O

It is also in large part misleading and incorrect, capacitor failure in
most
cases, is simply a symptom of the true fault.

"

Did you miss the part of the burned connection? Probably the cause of it
all.
Greg

Mike

I've had same exact problem before on a roof unit. Fan wouldn't spin
and when I traced power back from it, the capacitor was dead. I
bridged it out for a second and the fan spun right up. Pulled the
breaker, pulled the capacitor, took it to the local HVAC supply, got a
new one for $8, swapped it in and it worked fine for 2 more summers
until I replaced it when remodeling.

Give it a try - very low risk. Just keep an eye on it in case
something else caused the capacitor to fry. And pull the unit's
breaker when working on it to be safe.

Mike

r1013 wrote:
[...]

Pop

Yeah, you said that already, Oscar. You also ignored other
poster's who advised, correctly, that the most likely culprit is
the capacitor itself.
It's POSSIBLE there is another problem, yes, but it's not that
expensive, nor that hard, to start with the cap, which, 99 of 100
times, is the culprit, especially when it's equipment that lives
outdoors.
HOW to tell if something else had gone bad or some things to
check out or where to get them checked, etc etc would make a
good post; yours is simply sour grapes and ego. Sorry, but
that's my opinion.

PopS

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
: Better be sure to repair the problem that caused the capacitor
to blow in
: the first place before putting in a new one. The OP was lucky
it was just
: the capacitor that blew--it could have been a lot worse...
:
:
: "Pop" wrote in message
: ...
: Bring the cap to a local repair shop; they'll have
replacements
: laying around.
:
:
: "r1013" wrote in message
: ups.com...
[...]

Oscar_Lives

"Pop" wrote in message
Yeah, you said that already, Oscar. You also ignored other
poster's who advised, correctly, that the most likely culprit is
the capacitor itself.
It's POSSIBLE there is another problem, yes, but it's not that
expensive, nor that hard, to start with the cap, which, 99 of 100
times, is the culprit, especially when it's equipment that lives
outdoors.
HOW to tell if something else had gone bad or some things to
check out or where to get them checked, etc etc would make a
good post; yours is simply sour grapes and ego. Sorry, but
that's my opinion.

PopS

How in the hell can you diagnose a problem like this over the internet? Why
in the hell would you advise him to just start replacing parts without a
proper diagnosis? People like you are HACKS. I'll bet your whole house is
full of "ozark engineering" stuff, where you think it is OK to take
shortcuts and avoid proper installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
I'll bet you have never opened a code book or got something inspected. You
and your types should be imprisoned for the danger that you place your
families in.

I guess now you are going to spout some bull**** about how a capacitor
doesn't cost much, and if it blows, then you can try replacing the motor or
the wiring or such. However, you have not done any diagnosis to find the
cause of the problem--you have just started the never-ending cycle of
throwing parts at it. Now the unit may run, but it may not run right, or it
may be very inefficient, or it may actually be deadly. You will probably
blame the installer or the brand, but it will never occur to you that YOU
are the problem, and your CHEAPNESS and STUBBORNESS are what burned your
house down, or electrocuted the neighbors child.

HOW TO TELL HOW SOMETHING IS BAD OR WHERE TO GO is to get someone with the
training, the experience, the licensing, and the saavy to do the job
correctly. Just throwing parts at it isn't gonna cut it.

No sour grapes here. I am just sick and tired of ****ing idiots like you
who spout off as though you know everything there is to know and you
self-proclaim yourself as being a fount of knowleged on the internet, when
in reality your advice costs people money and maybe also kills them.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
: Better be sure to repair the problem that caused the capacitor
to blow in
: the first place before putting in a new one. The OP was lucky
it was just
: the capacitor that blew--it could have been a lot worse...
:
:
: "Pop" wrote in message
: ...
: Bring the cap to a local repair shop; they'll have
replacements
: laying around.
:
:
: "r1013" wrote in message
: ups.com...
[...]

Oscar_Lives

"Pop" wrote in message
Good post: Clear, concise, considerate. KUDOS. More people
should have your attitude.

We have plenty of hacks here. Please don't encourage them.

You must think Mike has a crystal ball and can see the wiring, amp draw,
voltage, etc.

ups.com...

r1013 wrote:
[...]

Stretch

Oscar,

As you said, you cannot diagnose over the internet.....either way. To
assume the compressor is shot or there is some other major problem is
pretentious. Yes, it would be better to have someone come out and
check the system before the part is replaced. It would also be a good
idea to make sure that is the right size capazitor for the compressor.
However, all that said, there is a 95% chance replacing the capacitor
will fix the problem. As long as the OP is willing to take that 5%
chance he will blow something, it is his unit and his money.

Stretch

Call a pro. Find one at www.goodmanmfg.com

geoman jr

"Pop" wrote in message
[...]

Oscar- check your prick, I think you'll be able to see it now :-)

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
: Better be sure to repair the problem that caused the capacitor
to blow in
: the first place before putting in a new one. The OP was lucky
it was just
: the capacitor that blew--it could have been a lot worse...
:
:
: "Pop" wrote in message
: ...
: Bring the cap to a local repair shop; they'll have
replacements
: laying around.
:
: