Oscar_Lives

"Pop" wrote in message
Good post: Clear, concise, considerate. KUDOS. More people
should have your attitude.

We have plenty of hacks here. Please don't encourage them.

You must think Mike has a crystal ball and can see the wiring, amp draw,
voltage, etc.

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've had same exact problem before on a roof unit. Fan wouldn't
spin
and when I traced power back from it, the capacitor was dead. I
bridged it out for a second and the fan spun right up. Pulled
the
breaker, pulled the capacitor, took it to the local HVAC supply,
got a
new one for $8, swapped it in and it worked fine for 2 more
summers
until I replaced it when remodeling.

Give it a try - very low risk. Just keep an eye on it in case
something else caused the capacitor to fry. And pull the unit's
breaker when working on it to be safe.

Mike

r1013 wrote:
A breaker tripped yesterday which goes to the AC unit. I reset
it and
it was working last night and this morning. This afternoon
when I got
home from work, it was tripped again. I reset it and it
tripped back
again.. I tried two more times and the AC unit finally cut on.
looked out the back door and smoke was coming from the
unit!!!.. I
flipped the breaker off.. and when I took the panel off the
unit.. the
capacitor was smoking and of the three connections.. one was
black and
melted..

Its simple to replace it.. if I find another.. Is this a
situation
where I should replace it.. or does it sound like another
problem?

I appreciate any suggestions

All the words on the unit are faded except the word Goodman.

Here is the info off the capacitor:
Dielektrol Capacitor
97F5368
010000AFC 89-27Z112
242808-30
9457-5400
CAPACITOR, 35 MFD, 440VAC, CAN, FILM COMPOSITION, ±6% TOLERANCE

I looked on the internet for another one but I only came up
with one
site that carried it.. and they had a 25 qty order limit??