Henry

Default How well aligned should fridge doors be?

Just got a GE Profile refrigerator the other day. It has two doors for
the fridge and a lower drawer for the freezer part. One thing I noticed
was that one door is a few mm higher than the other. In the manual it
mentions aligning the doors, so I phone up Sears (where I bought it
from) and the repair guy comes round. He says there's nothing he can
do! He reckons the hinges on one side are slightly higher than on the
other.

Should these things be made to better alignment than that, or am I just
being too picky over my (expensive) new refrigerator?

Another thing that bugged me was that one of the door handles came
loose as well. I connected it back again and tightened up the set
screw. Seems OK so far, but I didn't really expect that type of thing
on a new fridge...

Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just got a GE Profile refrigerator the other day. It has two doors for
the fridge and a lower drawer for the freezer part. One thing I noticed
was that one door is a few mm higher than the other. In the manual it
mentions aligning the doors, so I phone up Sears (where I bought it
from) and the repair guy comes round. He says there's nothing he can
do! He reckons the hinges on one side are slightly higher than on the
other.

Should these things be made to better alignment than that, or am I just
being too picky over my (expensive) new refrigerator?

I don't have a GE, but my dorrs are in perfect alighnment. Bitch until they
fix them. No, you are nto too picky, they should be about perfect.

Another thing that bugged me was that one of the door handles came
loose as well. I connected it back again and tightened up the set
screw. Seems OK so far, but I didn't really expect that type of thing
on a new fridge...

Loctite may help if it loosens again. But it should not have come loose to
start with. Makes you wonder about the rest of the quality.

Pop

Nope, you're not being too picky. The repair "guy" isn't too
swift, either; you should complain politely but firmly until they
take care of it, and don't be afraid to work your way up the
ladder until you get satisfaction.
As for the door handle, most of those things are shipped
without the handles attached to minimize damage. The guy at
Sears is almost surely the dummy who didn't fasten it correctly.
I got to watch the guy assemble ours; they brought the box out
unopened and he did the whole thing right in front of me. Even
the icemaker filter was in its own box inside the big crate.

HTH,
PopS

oups.com...
:
: Should these things be made to better alignment than that, or
am I just
: being too picky over my (expensive) new refrigerator?
:
: Another thing that bugged me was that one of the door handles
came
: loose as well. I connected it back again and tightened up the
set
: screw. Seems OK so far, but I didn't really expect that type of
thing
: on a new fridge...
:
: Thanks.
:

Don Young

It may be that improper leveling has the cabinet slightly twisted. Try
lifting the front corner on the low door side to see if that helps.
Don Young
"Henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just got a GE Profile refrigerator the other day. It has two doors for
the fridge and a lower drawer for the freezer part. One thing I noticed
was that one door is a few mm higher than the other. In the manual it
mentions aligning the doors, so I phone up Sears (where I bought it
from) and the repair guy comes round. He says there's nothing he can
do! He reckons the hinges on one side are slightly higher than on the
other.

Should these things be made to better alignment than that, or am I just
being too picky over my (expensive) new refrigerator?

Another thing that bugged me was that one of the door handles came
loose as well. I connected it back again and tightened up the set
screw. Seems OK so far, but I didn't really expect that type of thing
on a new fridge...

Thanks.

Henry

Thanks very much for everyone's comments so far. So you can see how
large/small the difference is I uploaded a couple of photos to:
http://www.geocities.com/smcx1/

I wasn't holding the camera very level! For the picture of the top of
the fridge you can see the bottom of the cabinet above it which gives
you the real horizontal.

Cheers

Edwin Pawlowski

"Henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks very much for everyone's comments so far. So you can see how
large/small the difference is I uploaded a couple of photos to:
http://www.geocities.com/smcx1/

I wasn't holding the camera very level! For the picture of the top of
the fridge you can see the bottom of the cabinet above it which gives
you the real horizontal.

Looks kind of crappy tome. Just curious, I know Geocites accepts paid
advertising, but an ad for G E Profile refrigerators is next to your photos.
Co-incidence?

Get them to fix it. You may even want to call GE for satisfaction and tell
them you are publishing photos of it for the world to see if they do not fix
it.

Henry

an ad for G E Profile refrigerators is next to your photos.
Co-incidence?

I doubt it - I expect some yahoo/geocities software noticed that I'd
written GE Profile refrigerator as the caption!
I don't see most ads as I use firefox + Adblock...

carbuff

"Henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just got a GE Profile refrigerator the other day. It has two doors for
the fridge and a lower drawer for the freezer part. One thing I noticed
was that one door is a few mm higher than the other. In the manual it
mentions aligning the doors, so I phone up Sears (where I bought it
from) and the repair guy comes round. He says there's nothing he can
do! He reckons the hinges on one side are slightly higher than on the
other.

Should these things be made to better alignment than that, or am I just
being too picky over my (expensive) new refrigerator?

Did you RTFM? I have a GE SXS that's 1 yr old, and while the LH (freezer)
door is fixed, the RH door is adjustable. There is a 5/16 long-head screw
at the bottom that can raise/lower the RH door to align it with the LH one.
For some reason, I have to tweak mine about every 2 weeks, so for that
reason, I keep a 5/16 combination wrench in my 'everything' drawer so it's
handy for the job. Mine'll sag/drop about an 1/8 inch or so after 10 days,
and it just ticks me off to see a $1,500 appliance that doesn't line up
properly.
In any case, your owner's manual SHOULD have a section on door alignment.
HTH

Edwin Pawlowski

"carbuff" wrote in message
Did you RTFM? I have a GE SXS that's 1 yr old, and while the LH (freezer)
door is fixed, the RH door is adjustable. There is a 5/16 long-head screw
at the bottom that can raise/lower the RH door to align it with the LH
one. For some reason, I have to tweak mine about every 2 weeks, so for
that reason, I keep a 5/16 combination wrench in my 'everything' drawer so
it's handy for the job. Mine'll sag/drop about an 1/8 inch or so after 10
days, and it just ticks me off to see a $1,500 appliance that doesn't line
up properly.

Go here and it is on page 24
http://products.geappliances.com/Pro...temid=49-60343

IMO, if yours need adjusting every 2 weeks, there is something very wrong
and should be addressed. That is 25 times a year of maybe 250 to 400 times
over the life of the fridge. Why not get it fixed properly?

Henry

Did you RTFM? I have a GE SXS that's 1 yr old, and while the LH (freezer)
door is fixed, the RH door is adjustable.

Mine is different and doesn't have that adjustment. (The appropriate
manual is the one for "Bottom Freezer" models.)
Anyway, I phoned Sears and they're bringing me a replacement.

carbuff

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"carbuff" wrote in message
Did you RTFM? I have a GE SXS that's 1 yr old, and while the LH
(freezer) door is fixed, the RH door is adjustable. There is a 5/16
long-head screw at the bottom that can raise/lower the RH door to align
it with the LH one. For some reason, I have to tweak mine about every 2
weeks, so for that reason, I keep a 5/16 combination wrench in my
'everything' drawer so it's handy for the job. Mine'll sag/drop about an
1/8 inch or so after 10 days, and it just ticks me off to see a $1,500
appliance that doesn't line up properly.

Go here and it is on page 24
http://products.geappliances.com/Pro...temid=49-60343

Also at the top of Page 11. While that one says a 7/16 wrench is needed,
mine is definitely 5/16. Then again, mine is a Model 22.

IMO, if yours need adjusting every 2 weeks, there is something very wrong
and should be addressed. That is 25 times a year of maybe 250 to 400 times
over the life of the fridge. Why not get it fixed properly?

Something very wrong? No, something SLIGHTLY wrong. I have to assume that
every time the door is opened & closed, the adjusting screw rotates CCW a
few degrees, so that cumulatively after a couple weeks, I have to turn the
screw a full turn CW to get the doors even. It's not THAT big a deal, and I
suppose a drop of Loctite or even Crazy Glue might cure it.

In order to answer the OP's problem, were you able to find an owner's manual
for his type of fridge?

Edwin Pawlowski

"carbuff" wrote in message

In order to answer the OP's problem, were you able to find an owner's
manual for his type of fridge?

IIRC, he had a GE too. Every manual is on the GE appliance web page. He
could easily find the exact model in about four clicks or less

Henry

Every manual is on the GE appliance web page. He
could easily find the exact model in about four clicks or less

I don't need to click at all - the fridge came with a manual!
Anyway, the Sears technician said it couldn't be adjusted (I pointed
out the alignment section in the manual and he said it wasn't
relevant).
Since Sears are sending me a new fridge that's good enough for me.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Henry" wrote in message
ups.com...
Every manual is on the GE appliance web page. He
could easily find the exact model in about four clicks or less

I don't need to click at all - the fridge came with a manual!
Anyway, the Sears technician said it couldn't be adjusted (I pointed
out the alignment section in the manual and he said it wasn't
relevant).
Since Sears are sending me a new fridge that's good enough for me.

Sounds like the technician is not relevant and should be replaced.

Henry

Sounds like the technician is not relevant and should be replaced.

Turns out the fridge wasn't properly leveled.
The delivery guys who brought the replacement fridge set it up right!
(And so I didn't need the new one).

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Warped built-in fridge & freezer doors [email protected] UK diy 1 September 11th 05 10:47 PM
Kitchen Cabinet Refacing--beware Quality Doors from Texas! Rock Home Repair 3 September 1st 05 10:53 PM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM