nospambob

Default Improve flow in bathroom sink?

Our sink is slowly having more trouble emptying as we run the cold
water out of the hot line in the morning. A plumber took the trap off
and manually chiseled out the gunk in the horizontal section going
into the wall. My knees wont support that type of work so I'm
wondering if there are any other ideas to try. Would ammonia be a
start?
G Henslee

nospambob wrote:
Our sink is slowly having more trouble emptying as we run the cold
water out of the hot line in the morning. A plumber took the trap off
and manually chiseled out the gunk in the horizontal section going
into the wall. My knees wont support that type of work so I'm
wondering if there are any other ideas to try. Would ammonia be a
start?

"chiseled" out the gunk"

What did the plumber suggest? Why didn't he attempt to snake it when he
had it apart? Or snake through the vent? Me thinks you're looking for
the low or no cost miracle fix, you're not going to find.
Roger Taylor

"nospambob" wrote in message
Our sink is slowly having more trouble emptying as we run the cold
water out of the hot line in the morning. A plumber took the trap off
and manually chiseled out the gunk in the horizontal section going
into the wall. My knees wont support that type of work so I'm
wondering if there are any other ideas to try. Would ammonia be a
start?

If it is typical hair gunk and grease, you could use any of the commercial
drain cleaners, and see if that helps. I have used Drain-O and other
liquids, with some success. Just follow instructions.

G Henslee

Roger Taylor wrote:
"nospambob" wrote in message

Our sink is slowly having more trouble emptying

I have used Drain-O and other
liquids, with some success. Just follow instructions.

There's that 'miracle' fix I mentioned.
SQLit

"nospambob" wrote in message
Our sink is slowly having more trouble emptying as we run the cold
water out of the hot line in the morning. A plumber took the trap off
and manually chiseled out the gunk in the horizontal section going
into the wall. My knees wont support that type of work so I'm
wondering if there are any other ideas to try. Would ammonia be a
start?

I have found that ammonia and bowl of hot water does wonders for maintenance
of drain lines. As for when the gunk is all ready there replacement is
probably best.

I use a 1/4 to 1/2 quart and a tub full of hot water down every drain once a
month. I pour the ammonia down the drain before I use the bath tub. When I
pull the plug the water does the flushing.

Beachcomber

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:52:14 -0700, "SQLit" wrote:

"nospambob" wrote in message
.. .
Our sink is slowly having more trouble emptying as we run the cold
water out of the hot line in the morning. A plumber took the trap off
and manually chiseled out the gunk in the horizontal section going
into the wall. My knees wont support that type of work so I'm
wondering if there are any other ideas to try. Would ammonia be a
start?

I have found that ammonia and bowl of hot water does wonders for maintenance
of drain lines. As for when the gunk is all ready there replacement is
probably best.

I use a 1/4 to 1/2 quart and a tub full of hot water down every drain once a
month. I pour the ammonia down the drain before I use the bath tub. When I
pull the plug the water does the flushing.

I poor a cup of chlorine bleach down the bathroom sink drain when it
runs slow and let it sit for a few hours.. I am assuming the clog is
mostly hair which the bleach disolves and that most of the clog is in
the trap.

Then I rinse it down with the hottest water possible and it's good to
go for another 4-5 months.

Beachcomber

Dave Balderstone

In article , nospambob
wrote:

Our sink is slowly having more trouble emptying as we run the cold
water out of the hot line in the morning. A plumber took the trap off
and manually chiseled out the gunk in the horizontal section going
into the wall. My knees wont support that type of work so I'm
wondering if there are any other ideas to try. Would ammonia be a
start?

Plug the overflow hole in the sink with a wet rag or your hand (I use
my hand as I can can gget a goood seal) then run some water and work it
like hell with a plunger.

You'll be amazed (and probably disgusted) with what happens.

djb

--
Go read this. Now.
http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html

freestanding bathroom sink basin JK Home Repair 2 May 24th 05 10:54 PM
Sanity/Code check on a garage utility sink [email protected] Home Repair 9 May 10th 05 05:56 PM
Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Water flow rate problem and Combi boiler Andrew Beck UK diy 15 September 3rd 04 11:00 PM
Sink Clips Caliban Home Repair 4 September 3rd 03 08:40 PM