Default a/c question

Last year we had to call the repairman because a/c froze up and stopped
working. He showed me how to clean out drain which fixed the problem.
Today it happened again. I cleaned the drain and it started working
again. What causes the problem in the first place. We are in FL with
high humidity and we've kept the thermostadt on 82 to try and save
energy. That's usually comfortable temp. From time to time I put
Clorox in drain ... but what would cause this to happen and is there
something I can do to prevent it happening again. The outside unit was
running but the inside air handler was not. Thanks.

Duane Bozarth

" wrote:

Last year we had to call the repairman because a/c froze up and stopped
working. He showed me how to clean out drain which fixed the problem.
Today it happened again. I cleaned the drain and it started working
again. What causes the problem in the first place. We are in FL with
high humidity and we've kept the thermostadt on 82 to try and save
energy. That's usually comfortable temp. From time to time I put
Clorox in drain ... but what would cause this to happen and is there
something I can do to prevent it happening again. The outside unit was
running but the inside air handler was not. Thanks.

Preventive maintenance more frequently sounds like the cure...in humid
climates w/ mold spores everywhere, "stuff" grows.

You don't say which drain where, but possibly the drain line is long and
doesn't have sufficient slope to drain well?
Stretch

Clogged condensate drain should not cause the coil to freeze. Perhaps
there is a float switch shutting the outdoor unit off? I suggest that
the drain may not slope continuously downhill, that will make it clog
more often. Use heavier pipe, not the lightweight "SDR" thinwall PVC.
Make sure the drain terminates above grade outside.

Stretch

TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
Last year we had to call the repairman because a/c froze up and stopped
working. He showed me how to clean out drain which fixed the problem.
Today it happened again. I cleaned the drain and it started working
again. What causes the problem in the first place. We are in FL with
high humidity and we've kept the thermostadt on 82 to try and save
energy. That's usually comfortable temp. From time to time I put
Clorox in drain ... but what would cause this to happen and is there
something I can do to prevent it happening again. The outside unit was
running but the inside air handler was not. Thanks.

This is Turtle.

What you say does not click or suppose to be.

Drain plugs up -- Unit does not freeze up./

If out side unit is running and the inside unit is not -- That will freeze up
the coil.

If you pour a cup of Clorox in the drain 3 or 4 times a year during the cooling
season. You should not plug the drains at all.

If the inside units is not running anmd the ouitside is running. You have a
mechnical problem and not a drain problem.

TURTLE

Stormin Mormon

Frozen indoor coil has several possible causes.

Low air flow (indoors)
low freon level in system

Anyhow, it's a good idea to call the repair guy back (or get a different
one) and ask him to adress the freezing issue.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Last year we had to call the repairman because a/c froze up and stopped
working. He showed me how to clean out drain which fixed the problem.
Today it happened again. I cleaned the drain and it started working
again. What causes the problem in the first place. We are in FL with
high humidity and we've kept the thermostadt on 82 to try and save
energy. That's usually comfortable temp. From time to time I put
Clorox in drain ... but what would cause this to happen and is there
something I can do to prevent it happening again. The outside unit was
running but the inside air handler was not. Thanks.

hvactech2

wrote in message
roups.com...
Last year we had to call the repairman because a/c froze up and stopped
working. He showed me how to clean out drain which fixed the problem.
Today it happened again. I cleaned the drain and it started working
again. What causes the problem in the first place. We are in FL with
high humidity and we've kept the thermostadt on 82 to try and save
energy. That's usually comfortable temp. From time to time I put
Clorox in drain ... but what would cause this to happen and is there
something I can do to prevent it happening again. The outside unit was
running but the inside air handler was not. Thanks.

I didn't see the original but it sounds as though they wired the
overflow safety to the fan only. this should be corrected as soon as
possible.

spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM