Default a/c question

Last year we had to call the repairman because a/c froze up and stopped
working. He showed me how to clean out drain which fixed the problem.
Today it happened again. I cleaned the drain and it started working
again. What causes the problem in the first place. We are in FL with
high humidity and we've kept the thermostadt on 82 to try and save
energy. That's usually comfortable temp. From time to time I put
Clorox in drain ... but what would cause this to happen and is there
something I can do to prevent it happening again. The outside unit was
running but the inside air handler was not. Thanks.