Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bill

Default Security System *insurance* requirements - Specific?

What are the *specific* requirements from insurance companies for
electronic home security/fire systems? (For the maximum discount - up to
20% off homeowners insurance I guess?)

The goal of my project is the least amount of protection for the maximum
discount. I don't *really* need a security system as I live in a low crime
rate area. Just exploring ways to save money on my insurance. I will of
course ask my agent, but he tends to tell me about insurance options which
cost more, not available discounts...

About all I can find on the internet is "U.L certified monitoring station"
or "additional discount for fire protection".

So specifically, for maximum discount....

-Do all doors and windows require sensors or are just doors ok?

-Just one internal motion detector ok or are more required?

-Just one [connected to system] smoke detector ok, or are smoke detectors
and heat sensors required in specific locations? (1800 sq. ft. two story 3
bedroom house with garage and 10 x 14 tool shed out back.)

-Local monitoring required or is 1-800 number located in another state ok?
What is local so far as distance goes?

-Other alarm requirements which will get the largest discount off my
insurance rates?