Brad Bruce

Default Fake window transparencies

I'm looking to buy a house that is lacking a window in the kitchen (Yes
it's a "different" layout)

I remember a show a few years ago where they built a light box and
inserted a color transparency to give the illusion of a real window.

I can build the box, no problem. My problem is, finding a source of the
transparencies.

Any ideas

NJBrad
RicodJour

Brad Bruce wrote:
I'm looking to buy a house that is lacking a window in the kitchen (Yes
it's a "different" layout)

I remember a show a few years ago where they built a light box and
inserted a color transparency to give the illusion of a real window.

I can build the box, no problem. My problem is, finding a source of the
transparencies.

eBay for one. Search for window cling.

Tom

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a house that is lacking a window in the kitchen (Yes
it's a "different" layout)

I remember a show a few years ago where they built a light box and
inserted a color transparency to give the illusion of a real window.

I can build the box, no problem. My problem is, finding a source of the
transparencies.

Any ideas

NJBrad

A good professional photo lab should be able to make a "duratrans" (I think
they still call it that) for you. This is a transparency that is designed
to hold up to constant light exposure. It's what you'll find in the big
advertising light boxes hanging in the airports. Just provide the original
non-copyrighted view you want to use. Maybe even a shot out the "fake"
window.

Tom

Brad Bruce wrote:
I'm looking to buy a house that is lacking a window in the kitchen (Yes
it's a "different" layout)

I remember a show a few years ago where they built a light box and
inserted a color transparency to give the illusion of a real window.

I can build the box, no problem. My problem is, finding a source of the
transparencies.

How big of a box? Home Depot carries transparencies (well, they're not
transparent, they're translucent) used for window privacy. They have
white, and I believe they sell different patterns.

On My Way

Home Depot has them in the mini blind section
I just ran across them the other day

--
On My Way
On My Way's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=13

Charles Spitzer

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a house that is lacking a window in the kitchen (Yes
it's a "different" layout)

I remember a show a few years ago where they built a light box and
inserted a color transparency to give the illusion of a real window.

I can build the box, no problem. My problem is, finding a source of the
transparencies.

Any ideas

NJBrad

they tend to fade because of uv rays. you may want to look into stained
glass, which won't.

kato

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a house that is lacking a window in the kitchen (Yes
it's a "different" layout)

I remember a show a few years ago where they built a light box and
inserted a color transparency to give the illusion of a real window.

I can build the box, no problem. My problem is, finding a source of the
transparencies.

Any ideas

NJBrad

they tend to fade because of uv rays. you may want to look into stained
glass, which won't.

Where are the UV rays coming from? It's a fake window.

Amun

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a house that is lacking a window in the kitchen (Yes
it's a "different" layout)

I remember a show a few years ago where they built a light box and
inserted a color transparency to give the illusion of a real window.

I can build the box, no problem. My problem is, finding a source of the
transparencies.

Any ideas

NJBrad

I see several have posted answers of where to get "tranparancies"

But as over the years I have seen lot of people doing similar things in
basements.

Think hard before you do it.

While it is a nice effect, in a few weeks the "ooooh how pretty" factor may
wear off and you will be left with a box on the wall you never use.

They always need a lot of light"watts" to look good, but never light up a
room enough to use without turning on another light.

And electricity is not getting any cheaper.

Okay,..... if you have thought of those issues and STILL want to do it.

Here's an idea to make it really special.

Take your own favorite photo/negative/electronic file to a real photo
processing lab.
(not the drugstore down the street, or walmart)

And have them blow it up and printed on plastic "slide" stock.
It wont be cheap, depending on how big you want to go.

or you may be able to find a commercial graphics house that has a color
printer/plotter and does blueprint size things that can handle it on mylar.

or play with the office photocopier when everyone else is on lunch, and blow
the picture up in pieces on overhead transparency sheets and tape them
together.
(not as bad as it sounds)

But will make the whole project "yours"

Just remember that if you use a picture with someone you know, someday you
may hate them and have to trash the picture.
(wives. husbands, can later be EX wives, EX Husbands)
Or you could always convert it to a dart board.

And if you REALLY want something that visitors will talk about for
years......
After that next X-ray, ask the doctor if you can take it home. LOL

AMUN

Charles Spitzer

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a house that is lacking a window in the kitchen (Yes
it's a "different" layout)

I remember a show a few years ago where they built a light box and
inserted a color transparency to give the illusion of a real window.

I can build the box, no problem. My problem is, finding a source of
the
transparencies.

Any ideas

NJBrad

they tend to fade because of uv rays. you may want to look into stained
glass, which won't.

Where are the UV rays coming from? It's a fake window.

doh! open mouth, remove keyboard.

otoh, you can put glass into a lighted cabinet also. tgi fridays in my area
have a lot of these hanging on the walls.

Brad Bruce

On My Way wrote:
Home Depot has them in the mini blind section
I just ran across them the other day

Thanks. Haven't seen them before. I'll check it out.

JohnR66

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a house that is lacking a window in the kitchen (Yes
it's a "different" layout)

I remember a show a few years ago where they built a light box and
inserted a color transparency to give the illusion of a real window.

I can build the box, no problem. My problem is, finding a source of
the
transparencies.

Any ideas

NJBrad

they tend to fade because of uv rays. you may want to look into stained
glass, which won't.

Where are the UV rays coming from? It's a fake window.

The fluorescent lamps behind it. The ones in the airport the other poster
made reference to do fade after time. Visible light also contributes to the
fading. These seem to take on a sickly green look as the magenta inks fade.
John