Konyoman

Default bubbles in paint

We just had a few rooms painted and I noticed that there are several bubbles
in the paint... The painter told us to leave them as they will be absorbed
into the wall.

Is this true or will he need to sand them, putty and re-paint?

User Example

Konyoman wrote:
We just had a few rooms painted and I noticed that there are several bubbles
in the paint... The painter told us to leave them as they will be absorbed
into the wall.

Is this true or will he need to sand them, putty and re-paint?

It depends... I have seen some flatten out. Time will tell.

Dumbo

Konyoman wrote:
We just had a few rooms painted and I noticed that there are several bubbles
in the paint... The painter told us to leave them as they will be absorbed
into the wall.

Is this true or will he need to sand them, putty and re-paint?

If you still owe that painter some money tell him you'll pay off when
the bubbles disappear. I've never seen that happen, but I don't know
everything...

George E. Cawthon

Konyoman wrote:
We just had a few rooms painted and I noticed that there are several bubbles
in the paint... The painter told us to leave them as they will be absorbed
into the wall.

Is this true or will he need to sand them, putty and re-paint?

You mean like little craters, where a bubble was
but then it popped? If so, no they aren't going
into any wall, they will just sit there. If you
mean big round paint blobs, then who know, but
don't count on them being absorbed or when they do
it will look like hell.
FACE

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 03:12:19 GMT, in alt.home.repair "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Konyoman wrote:
We just had a few rooms painted and I noticed that there are several bubbles
in the paint... The painter told us to leave them as they will be absorbed
into the wall.

Is this true or will he need to sand them, putty and re-paint?

You mean like little craters, where a bubble was
but then it popped? If so, no they aren't going
into any wall, they will just sit there. If you
mean big round paint blobs, then who know, but
don't count on them being absorbed or when they do
it will look like hell.

I won't claim to be overly experienced here but I have found that if
painting is done when it is too hot, the flatteners in the paint have no
chance to work since it dries so fast. That usually applies to visible
brush strokes being left, which I have gotten in the house before. But if
the paint is shaken, not stirred, (hat tip to Bond there) I suppose you
could get bubbles the same way.

I know this applies to polyurethane, though that is a completely different
type of paint.

(Outside, I try not to paint at much over 80 degrees or in direct sun --
which was been difficult outside in July. On the winter end , I don't paint
at under 50 degrees. )

FACE

siralfred

What kind of paint? Flat latex? And did you or the painter make
repairs with some kind of plaster compound before painting? How big
are the bubbles?

Bubbles in latex paint are usually caused by painting over plaster or
joint compound that isn't thouroughly set or dry. Whether or not they
are absorbed to a point that is satisfactory to you depends on the
paint. If you still owe this guy a final payment hold on to it until
you're happy with the way your walls look.

RicodJour

siralfred wrote:
What kind of paint? Flat latex? And did you or the painter make
repairs with some kind of plaster compound before painting? How big
are the bubbles?

Bubbles in latex paint are usually caused by painting over plaster or
joint compound that isn't thouroughly set or dry. Whether or not they
are absorbed to a point that is satisfactory to you depends on the
paint. If you still owe this guy a final payment hold on to it until
you're happy with the way your walls look.

Also my experience with painting over green plaster. I'd go a step
further. Latex paint dries quickly. Once the air under the bubble
leaks out, what's to glue the paint back down to the wall itself?
Nothing. It will be a skin stretched over a bare spot. Nothing good
will come of it.

Ken

Konyoman wrote:
We just had a few rooms painted and I noticed that there are several bubbles
in the paint... The painter told us to leave them as they will be absorbed
into the wall.

Is this true or will he need to sand them, putty and re-paint?

Well, I can offer one anecdote:

I painted the bedroom, rolled on latex, and everything looked fine.
Maybe a half hour later, small bubbles started forming everywhere in
the still tacky paint. Ohmygosh! Catastrophe! I tried popping a couple
of the bubbles, but that just seemed to make it worse. Not knowing
what to do, I left the room to sulk at the prospect of having to strip
the paint off the walls of the entire room. Next morning, all the
bubbles were gone, and everything looked fine. Paint was still in fine
shape when we moved out of the house about 6 years later. I have no
idea what happened then, but when the same thing happened to me years
later in one small spot on the ceiling I was painting, I just left it
alone and everything was fine.

Ken

Amun

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...

siralfred wrote:
What kind of paint? Flat latex? And did you or the painter make
repairs with some kind of plaster compound before painting? How big
are the bubbles?

Bubbles in latex paint are usually caused by painting over plaster or
joint compound that isn't thouroughly set or dry. Whether or not they
are absorbed to a point that is satisfactory to you depends on the
paint. If you still owe this guy a final payment hold on to it until
you're happy with the way your walls look.

Also my experience with painting over green plaster. I'd go a step
further. Latex paint dries quickly. Once the air under the bubble
leaks out, what's to glue the paint back down to the wall itself?
Nothing. It will be a skin stretched over a bare spot. Nothing good
will come of it.

Just helped out a guy painting a few months back who had the same problem.
House was a "builders special" ten years old, but still had only the
original paint.

In some spots as the new paint was going on with a roller it raised areas
of the old paint about 6 sq inches into big bubbles, without tearing the
paint
some peeled off and wrapped around the roller

rolling the paint very slowly kept the old paint from tearing off, but it
still bubbled.

Some went down and looks not to bad, but still can be easily lifted, as
nothing is holding but the skin to the paint around it. (it will tear/peel
the first time someone brushes it hard)

Some never went down and we had to sand, level, and repaint.

When I looked the original paint where it came off completely, it was simply
put right over the drywall and there was no primer at all.

of course the walls always had sanding marks in the paint, and in
sidelighting you could see every joint, but the owner just never cared to
complain, or gave up.

It's not really the fault of your painter, but poor wall
preparation/painting years ago, that is just showing up now.

While the paint is fresh it will should be easy to fix and match though.

Is your house still covered under any "builder/new home warranty" you may be
able to get some help if it was never done right.
As the only long term solution may be to strip everything to the drywall and
start again.

Or you can just live with patching every once in a while.

AMUN

G Henslee

Amun wrote:

Just helped out a guy painting a few months back.

Following that, how much did he sue your inept ass for?

--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

AMUN is a clueless moron regarding tile, electrical and various other
construction issues. As things go AMUN will (thankfully) dissapear
as his kind usually does when confronted with their bad advice by
those who are knowledgeable in their respective fields.
Until then - BEWARE

Dumbo

Ken wrote:
Konyoman wrote:
We just had a few rooms painted and I noticed that there are several bubbles
in the paint... The painter told us to leave them as they will be absorbed
into the wall.

Is this true or will he need to sand them, putty and re-paint?

Well, I can offer one anecdote:

I painted the bedroom, rolled on latex, and everything looked fine.
Maybe a half hour later, small bubbles started forming everywhere in
the still tacky paint. Ohmygosh! Catastrophe! I tried popping a couple
of the bubbles, but that just seemed to make it worse. Not knowing
what to do, I left the room to sulk at the prospect of having to strip
the paint off the walls of the entire room. Next morning, all the
bubbles were gone, and everything looked fine.

... and they lived happy ever after?

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM