Robert11

Default Electrical Grounding Clip To Junction Box Installation ?

Hello:

Anyone know a link to a site having a picture showing the correct
installation of a wire to a "grounding clip" that fits over the side of an
electrical junction box, or a handi-box ?

Looked all over, but couldn't find one. No luck with Google either.

Thanks,
B.

Ken

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Anyone know a link to a site having a picture showing the correct
installation of a wire to a "grounding clip" that fits over the side of an
electrical junction box, or a handi-box ?

Looked all over, but couldn't find one. No luck with Google either.

Thanks,
B.

I could never get those grounding clips to work right. I assume you
have old junction boxes that have no threaded hole for a grounding
screw? I always drill and tap a threaded hole so I can attached the
ground wires with one of those little green screws. I forget the
correct size for the hole, 10-32 maybe? It's whatever size tap that is
in my electrical toolbox. ;-)

Ken

Robert11

Hi,

Yep, an old box.

Thanks for suggestions.

Bob

-------------
"Ken" wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Anyone know a link to a site having a picture showing the correct
installation of a wire to a "grounding clip" that fits over the side of
an
electrical junction box, or a handi-box ?

Looked all over, but couldn't find one. No luck with Google either.

Thanks,
B.

I could never get those grounding clips to work right. I assume you
have old junction boxes that have no threaded hole for a grounding
screw? I always drill and tap a threaded hole so I can attached the
ground wires with one of those little green screws. I forget the
correct size for the hole, 10-32 maybe? It's whatever size tap that is
in my electrical toolbox. ;-)

Ken

Bill

I think I have seen these with the bare copper wire bent around the edge of
the box, then the clip placed over it to hold it in place. (Use pliers to
form wire around edge.)

So if the edge of the box was an "I" shape, then the wire bent over it
would be an upside down "U" shape, as would be the clip over it.

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Anyone know a link to a site having a picture showing the correct
installation of a wire to a "grounding clip" that fits over the side of

an
electrical junction box, or a handi-box ?

Looked all over, but couldn't find one. No luck with Google either.

Thanks,
B.

rider89

You're right about finding a picture, etc. I could find one either.
Anyway, you lay the ground wire across the bottom of the box, then up the
side and on out (straight) into the room.
Slide the clip down the wire (the open end of the U toward the box) and the
straighter leg of the clip will be inside the box and the J hook leg of the
clip will be outside the box edge, hanging on the box edge, actually. The J
shapes on the other leg form a groove where you put the end of a medium
sized screwdriver. Rather than pushing the clip onto the box (which tends
to bend the clip out of shape), I usually smack the screwdriver with pliers,
etc to quickly drive the clip down onto the box. You can then just nip off
the excess wire flush with the clip.

hth
bill

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Anyone know a link to a site having a picture showing the correct
installation of a wire to a "grounding clip" that fits over the side of an
electrical junction box, or a handi-box ?

Looked all over, but couldn't find one. No luck with Google either.

Thanks,
B.

Master Firefighter / Rescuer Thomas D. Horne

http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/BldgConst/Electrical01/ConElec05_Main.asp?iNum=0203
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Electrical Junction Box with Bus Connections Harry Muscle Home Ownership 7 July 5th 05 03:56 PM
Electrical Junction Box with Bus Connections Harry Muscle Home Repair 7 July 5th 05 03:56 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM
Grounding Rod *and* Rebar for service grounds? Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 04:13 PM
Ground to Gas Pipe?? w_tom Home Repair 4 June 23rd 03 09:14 AM