PME

Default Recessed soap dish- removal

We are replacing the wallpaper and need to remove the recessed combo soap
dish/cup holder. It's not on tile, it's mounted to regular drywall. It is
slightly loose in the wall, so the caulk behind it has released, but there
is still something holding it in. There are no screws. Can this be reused,
or is pulling it from the wall going to destroy whatever bracket is holding
it in place?

Help?

PME

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Did you look underneath it for a tiny set screw? It could be really tiny.

"PME" wrote in message
ink.net...
We are replacing the wallpaper and need to remove the recessed combo

soap
dish/cup holder. It's not on tile, it's mounted to regular drywall. It

is
slightly loose in the wall, so the caulk behind it has released, but

there
is still something holding it in. There are no screws. Can this be

reused,
or is pulling it from the wall going to destroy whatever bracket is
holding
it in place?

Help?

No, there are no screws. This is a solid chrome plated insert. There are
rivets holding the cup-holder onto the fixture, but it's loose enough to see
the rivets have nothing to do with the wall attachment. There is definately
something inside the wall holding this.

Thanks

Charlie Bress

It may have been embedded in plaster of paris

You might have to break it out

Charlie

"PME" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Did you look underneath it for a tiny set screw? It could be really
tiny.

"PME" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

RicodJour

PME wrote:

No, there are no screws. This is a solid chrome plated insert. There are
rivets holding the cup-holder onto the fixture, but it's loose enough to see
the rivets have nothing to do with the wall attachment. There is definately
something inside the wall holding this.

Are you planning to reinstall it, replace it or fill in the hole?

Fill in the hole:
Cut the drywall around the soap-dish and remove the whole shebang. The
drywall patch will be a little larger, but so what?

Replace it:
Cut the existing dish up with tin snips and remove it in pieces. Could
be a pain in the ass depending on the thickness of the metal. You
might get lucky. If you use a larger dish than the existing one, you
could combine the first these first two methods.

Reinstall it:
Do you even have to remove it? You might be able to glue it back in
place and cut the wallpaper around the dish. Use stronger adhesive
around the cut edges to keep them from curling up in the moist air of
the bathroom.

PME

"PME" wrote in message
ink.net...
We are replacing the wallpaper and need to remove the recessed combo soap
dish/cup holder. It's not on tile, it's mounted to regular drywall. It is
slightly loose in the wall, so the caulk behind it has released, but there
is still something holding it in. There are no screws. Can this be reused,
or is pulling it from the wall going to destroy whatever bracket is

holding
it in place?

Help?

Thanks for the responses.
To answer all the questions,

Charlie:
No, it's not embedded in plaster of paris. As I said, it is slightly loose
inside the wall, but something inside the wall is keeping it from coming
out.

RicodJour:
I asked if this can be reused, so yes, I want to put it back.

Does anybody actually know what is holding this in?
Does anybody actually know the real steps to remove it?

RicodJour

PME wrote:
"PME" wrote in message

We are replacing the wallpaper and need to remove the recessed combo soap
dish/cup holder. It's not on tile, it's mounted to regular drywall. It is
slightly loose in the wall, so the caulk behind it has released, but there
is still something holding it in. There are no screws. Can this be reused,
or is pulling it from the wall going to destroy whatever bracket is

holding
it in place?

Help?

Thanks for the responses.
To answer all the questions,

Charlie:
No, it's not embedded in plaster of paris. As I said, it is slightly loose
inside the wall, but something inside the wall is keeping it from coming
out.

RicodJour:
I asked if this can be reused, so yes, I want to put it back.

Yes, you had said that. Is there something special about this soap
dish? Seems to me that whatever is holding it in has loosened since
there is a gap now. Isn't that a problem if you plan to reinstall it?
Since you said there are no screws, how would you tighten it up to the
wall?

I'd asked if you have to remove it if all you want to do is redo the
wallpaper. Is there some reason that that wouldn't work?

Does anybody actually know what is holding this in?
Does anybody actually know the real steps to remove it?

I understand your description, but how can anyone actually know exactly
what you have? There must be literally hundreds of different soap
dishes manufactured over the years. The standard way to attach
anything of that sort, if it's not held in place with plaster like a
tile soap dish (unlikely with a chrome dish), is to have some small
screws that engage clips as someone else mentioned. If there are no
screws, and no obvious way to remove it, it may have been intended as a
permanent installation - there could be some sort of spring clips
holding it place. I think that is a little unlikely, but it's
possible.

Post a picture of it on one of those free sites and post the link here.
Maybe taking a look at it will help identify it and the attachment
method.

Art

Personnally I still think there is a tiny set screw that he is missing. It
happened to me once. I almost ripped a hole in the wall before finding the
screw. And normally I am good at this type of thing.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
PME wrote:
"PME" wrote in message

[...]

On My Way

KISS
It very well could be a spring loaded tabs that are holding it in
place.
You know the type with bent sheetmetal tabs that fit in the hole and
spring outward to make a nice compression fit.
Give it a firm tug and see if it gives any headway

--
On My Way
On My Way's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=13

PME

"PME" wrote in message
ink.net...

Turns out, there are 2 perforated tabs on the back that run the length, top
to bottom. When installed, a massive amount of thick plaster is molded all
over the back of the soap dish and squooshed (yeh, squooshed) into the wall.
The plaster mushes out and sticks to the back side of the drywall. Some of
it had broken off over time, so the fixture was loose in the hole, but
enough was still in place to keep it from falling out. A good swift yank,
and it shattered, and the soap dish came out, good as new.

Sorry Art, no screw.

Thanks folks.

PME

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
They laughed when I said plaster of paris

Charlie

And a most humbled tip-o-the-wrench to you for being correct.

PME

Art

"PME" wrote in message
ink.net...

"PME" wrote in message
ink.net...

Turns out, there are 2 perforated tabs on the back that run the length,
top
to bottom. When installed, a massive amount of thick plaster is molded all
over the back of the soap dish and squooshed (yeh, squooshed) into the
wall.
The plaster mushes out and sticks to the back side of the drywall. Some of
it had broken off over time, so the fixture was loose in the hole, but
enough was still in place to keep it from falling out. A good swift yank,
and it shattered, and the soap dish came out, good as new.

Sorry Art, no screw.

I've heard that before many times. I've learned not to be disappointed.

Jeff Wisnia

Art wrote:
"PME" wrote in message
ink.net...

"PME" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Turns out, there are 2 perforated tabs on the back that run the length,
top
to bottom. When installed, a massive amount of thick plaster is molded all
over the back of the soap dish and squooshed (yeh, squooshed) into the
wall.
The plaster mushes out and sticks to the back side of the drywall. Some of
it had broken off over time, so the fixture was loose in the hole, but
enough was still in place to keep it from falling out. A good swift yank,
and it shattered, and the soap dish came out, good as new.

Sorry Art, no screw.

I've heard that before many times. I've learned not to be disappointed.

ROTFLMAO!

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia