Default Who Sells Replacement Recessed Soap Dishes for Shower Walls?

I'm re-tiling the shower in my late 50's house and would like to
replace the old chrome recessed soap dish that's built into the wall at
the same time, but neither Lowe's or Home Depot has them. They do have
the recessed chrome toilet paper holders, which look almost identical,
but those don't have the little flat shelf in the bottom for a bar of
soap. Anyone know who still sells these things?

mark

wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm re-tiling the shower in my late 50's house and would like to
replace the old chrome recessed soap dish that's built into the wall at
the same time, but neither Lowe's or Home Depot has them. They do have
the recessed chrome toilet paper holders, which look almost identical,
but those don't have the little flat shelf in the bottom for a bar of
soap. Anyone know who still sells these things?

something like this
one?http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1122750414/
sr=8-3/ref=sr_8__i3_xgl79/002-4073821-4632803?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=

Try a real tile store in your area. Here's an example of one in my
area:

http://www.waynetile.com/

I bought tile there for two bathroom renovations. They had everything
I could think of, and stuff I didn't think of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bruce Waugh had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...-Wa-18086-.htm
:
Josh, did you have any luck finding the recessed chrome soap dish? We're
looking
for the same thing. Any help is welcome. Bruce & Nancy Waugh

-------------------------------------
Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:
I'm re-tiling the shower in my late 50's house and would like to
replace the old chrome recessed soap dish that's built into the
wall at
the same time, but neither Lowe's or Home Depot has them. They do
have
the recessed chrome toilet paper holders, which look almost
identical,
but those don't have the little flat shelf in the bottom for a bar
of
soap. Anyone know who still sells these things?

GOOGLE around, but here's one:
http://www.wholesalebath.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=A1&Category_Code=B

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:
I'm re-tiling the shower in my late 50's house and would like to
replace the old chrome recessed soap dish that's built into the
wall at
the same time, but neither Lowe's or Home Depot has them. They do
have
the recessed chrome toilet paper holders, which look almost
identical,
but those don't have the little flat shelf in the bottom for a bar
of
soap. Anyone know who still sells these things?

GOOGLE around, but here's one:
http://www.wholesalebath.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=A1&Category_Code=B

Try Google Shopping at
http://www.google.com/prdhp?hl=en&tab=wf

search on
Polished Chrome Recessed Soap Holder

got 70 hits
Posted to alt.home.repair

sjosefsen wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...lls-18066-.htm
sjosefsen wrote:
Homefixitparts.com has 2 sizes of these soap dishes!
mark wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
I\\\'m re-tiling the shower in my late 50\\\'s house and would like
to replace the old chrome recessed soap dish that\\\'s built into
the wall at
the same time, but neither Lowe\\\'s or Home Depot has them. They
do have
the recessed chrome toilet paper holders, which look almost
identical,
but those don\\\'t have the little flat shelf in the bottom for a
bar of
soap. Anyone know who still sells these things?

something like this

one?http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1122750414/
sr=8-3/ref=sr_8__i3_xgl79/002-4073821-4632803?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=

Or, any good tile shop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sjosefsen wrote:
Homefixitparts.com has 2 sizes of these soap dishes!
mark wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
I\\\'m re-tiling the shower in my late 50\\\'s house and would like
to replace the old chrome recessed soap dish that\\\'s built into
the wall at
the same time, but neither Lowe\\\'s or Home Depot has them. They
do have
the recessed chrome toilet paper holders, which look almost
identical,
but those don\\\'t have the little flat shelf in the bottom for a
bar of
soap. Anyone know who still sells these things?

something like this
one?http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1122750414/
sr=8-3/ref=sr_8__i3_xgl79/002-4073821-4632803?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=

Or, any good tile shop.

Wish I could find a good one, because I've been to every one in this city
and nobody even recognizes the friggin' things. You'd think they'd have at
least seen OLD ones as they remodeled old bathrooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
sjosefsen wrote:
Homefixitparts.com has 2 sizes of these soap dishes!
mark wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Oops - I mised the "chrome" part. I was thinking of white ceramic soap and TP
holders. I have both I got from Art Tile here in Seattle. They are Soooooo much
classier than those chrome ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2011 12:18 PM, Bob F wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
sjosefsen wrote:
Homefixitparts.com has 2 sizes of these soap dishes!
mark wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Yeah, but if you are doing a period-correct pink'n'black retro bath in a
1950s brick two story, modern fittings will just look wrong. I'm a
form-follows-function kind of guy, but when I see modern fittings in an
old house, I always wonder what failed and caused the old stuff to get
ripped out.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Or, any good tile shop.

Wish I could find a good one, because I've been to every one in this
city and nobody even recognizes the friggin' things. You'd think
they'd have at least seen OLD ones as they remodeled old bathrooms.

Oops - I mised the "chrome" part. I was thinking of white ceramic
soap and TP holders. I have both I got from Art Tile here in
Seattle. They are Soooooo much classier than those chrome ones.

Yeah, but if you are doing a period-correct pink'n'black retro bath
in a 1950s brick two story, modern fittings will just look wrong. I'm
a form-follows-function kind of guy, but when I see modern fittings
in an old house, I always wonder what failed and caused the old stuff
to get ripped out.

That's why I threw away the chrome soap dish and TP holder when I remodeled, and
replaced them with the ceramic ones I just described. They were just too modern
for my old house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 30, 2005 1:08:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm re-tiling the shower in my late 50's house and would like to
replace the old chrome recessed soap dish that's built into the wall at
the same time, but neither Lowe's or Home Depot has them. They do have
the recessed chrome toilet paper holders, which look almost identical,
but those don't have the little flat shelf in the bottom for a bar of
soap. Anyone know who still sells these things?

This thread is pretty old, but I'm looking for one too. Thought I would mention that although they don't stock them on the shelves at Home Depot, you can order them on their website. In Chrome and White. I think I'm going to buy the white one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Rece...8?N=5yc1vZbzc7

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Comm...-203993288-_-N
Senior Member

Taymor is probably the biggest name in home hardware.

Taymor sells this chrome plated recessed soap holder for tiled bathroom walls:

Recessed Soap Holder with Utility Bar - Polished Chrome | Taymor

Contact Taymor to find out who retails their products in your area.

Taymor also makes and sells several other chrome plated recessed soap holders for bathroom walls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm re-tiling the shower in my late 50's house and would like to

replace the old chrome recessed soap dish that's built into the wall

at the same time, but neither Lowe's or Home Depot has them. They

do have the recessed chrome toilet paper holders, which look almost

identical, but those don't have the little flat shelf in the bottom

for a bar of soap. Anyone know who still sells these things?

This thread is pretty old, but I'm looking for one too. Thought I

would mention that although they don't stock them on the shelves at

Home Depot, you can order them on their website. In Chrome and

White. I think I'm going to buy the white one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Rece...8?N=5yc1vZbzc7

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Comm...-203993288-_-N

Any good tile shop should have choices.

this is one of my pet peeves

you want the soap dish to have rasied ribs to keep the soap out of the water

the ribs need to be angled in a specual way.

you want the base to be angled down away from the wall so the water runs out of the soap dish

you want the ribs angled in towards the wall so the soap does not slip out of the soap dish and fall on your bare foot

details

Mark