Default How to find a professional to help with groundwater control ?

My home is built on a flatish site half way up a mountain.
Terrain and soil type appears to yield water in the soil around
and under the house (other sources of water such as gutters
and leaking pipes having been eliminated).

I'd like to find someone (engineer of some kind ?) to investigate
the situation and with the benefit of experience advise what
measures should be taken to divert the ground water.

So far , so good. Problem is there is no such person in the
local Yellow Pages. I suspect that I'm not searching on
the right keyword. I also figure that there has to be
a professional association for drainage engineers (or
whatever they're called).

Any help is welcome.

(I'm in the western USA, BTW).

Thanks.

SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...

My home is built on a flatish site half way up a mountain.
Terrain and soil type appears to yield water in the soil around
and under the house (other sources of water such as gutters
and leaking pipes having been eliminated).

I'd like to find someone (engineer of some kind ?) to investigate
the situation and with the benefit of experience advise what
measures should be taken to divert the ground water.

So far , so good. Problem is there is no such person in the
local Yellow Pages. I suspect that I'm not searching on
the right keyword. I also figure that there has to be
a professional association for drainage engineers (or
whatever they're called).

Any help is welcome.

(I'm in the western USA, BTW).

Thanks.

damn that broken google finger again
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,030,000 for drainage engineering. (0.29 seconds

Banty

In article , SQLit says...

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Yeah really. With Google, let's just shut down alt.home.repair. Gosh forbid,
someone may actually ask a question here. :-/

Banty

Vic Dura

So far , so good. Problem is there is no such person in the
local Yellow Pages. I suspect that I'm not searching on
the right keyword. I also figure that there has to be
a professional association for drainage engineers (or
whatever they're called).

Hydrologist. Check to see if your state/county has a hydrology group.
Most do. That's a place to start. Or try the nearest large university.
They should have a geology/hydrology dept.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Sarcastic, but actually useful. Of course I've done hundreds of google
searches, but not that one. I tried 'drainage engineer', which does not
yield any interesting results. Google need more semantic analysis
in their search string processing...

Thanks anyway.

Gideon

One bit of warning. I hired such an expert years ago and
although he was fairly knowledgable, his advice was fairly
useless to me. I've got a suburban home, in a nice neighborhood,
with a well manicured lawn on which the children play soccer,
volleyball, football, etc, etc.

My expert suggested a major regrading of the lawn, creating
swales in the middle of the back yard, installing large catch
basins in the swales, and tying the catch basins to an underground
drainage system. I'm certain that his design would work and
greatly reduce the problems that I had, but it was competely
unacceptable to me. He really didn't want to discuss anything
which didn't include the heavy regrading and swales. (He just
advises, he doesn't perform the work). What he suggested would
have looked very out of character in our neighborhood and would
have destroyed the appearance of the yard which I've worked
very hard to achieve.

Just a warning.