Steve

Default dryer vent

I have a dryer vented using galvanized piping. There are a couple of angle
pieces where the joints are leaking some exhaust. I took the pipes apart and
cleaned them out of any lint as a maintenance thing and I am wondering if
when I reassemble if metal tape if its appropriate to use a wrap a metal
tape around the joints. I'm guessing its probably not required, but I have
the metal tape and it will take a short time to do, so I might as well do it
unless there is something inappropriate about it. I would be using metal
tape - not duct tape. Can anyone give me any feedback on this?

RicodJour

Steve wrote:
I have a dryer vented using galvanized piping. There are a couple of angle
pieces where the joints are leaking some exhaust. I took the pipes apart and
cleaned them out of any lint as a maintenance thing and I am wondering if
when I reassemble if metal tape if its appropriate to use a wrap a metal
tape around the joints. I'm guessing its probably not required, but I have
the metal tape and it will take a short time to do, so I might as well do it
unless there is something inappropriate about it. I would be using metal
tape - not duct tape. Can anyone give me any feedback on this?

Sure, go ahead. It's the right thing to do, and the right material.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve" wrote in message
I have a dryer vented using galvanized piping. There are a couple of angle
pieces where the joints are leaking some exhaust. I took the pipes apart
and cleaned them out of any lint as a maintenance thing and I am wondering
if when I reassemble if metal tape if its appropriate to use a wrap a metal
tape around the joints.

Yes, it is. In case anyone is wondering, you do not want to use screws as
they would catch lint.

Steve

Steve wrote:
I have a dryer vented using galvanized piping. I am wondering if
when I reassemble if metal tape if its appropriate to wrap around the
joints.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
Sure, go ahead. It's the right thing to do, and the right material.

Thanks for the info. The dryer vents through a dryer vent in a glass block
window in the basement. The joint where this the dryer piping connects to
that glass black vent leaks more than any. Unfortunately, the joint is
recessed and I doubt that I could tape the joint with much success because
the recess makes the space to confined. This joint had previously been
"caulked" or sealed with some caulk like material. Is it appropriate to use
standard caulking here or is there special caulk available for this
application. I'm sure I could get a caulk tip in the space and then smooth
it out with my finger, but beyond that I doubt I'd be able to tape it with
much accuracy.

Pop

Yes, but(t): Don't allow the adhesive to be exposed to the
inside of the ductwork at any point if you are covering any
openings. The adhesive will grab the lint and hold onto it. Not
usually a problem, but worth remembering.

Pop

"Steve" wrote in message
:I have a dryer vented using galvanized piping. There are a
couple of angle
: pieces where the joints are leaking some exhaust. I took the
pipes apart and
: cleaned them out of any lint as a maintenance thing and I am
wondering if
: when I reassemble if metal tape if its appropriate to use a
wrap a metal
: tape around the joints. I'm guessing its probably not required,
but I have
: the metal tape and it will take a short time to do, so I might
as well do it
: unless there is something inappropriate about it. I would be
using metal
: tape - not duct tape. Can anyone give me any feedback on this?
:
:

dryer vent location John Home Repair 7 June 14th 05 04:31 AM
Where oh where to put an ouside dryer vent from below ground Wally Home Repair 23 December 17th 04 12:11 PM
Where oh where to put an ouside dryer vent from below ground Wally Home Ownership 23 December 17th 04 12:11 PM
Help with dryer vent on glass block window Jordan Powell Home Repair 7 February 27th 04 02:56 AM
Excessive lint coming out of dryer vent Dipu Home Repair 2 August 26th 03 06:15 AM