Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Charlie S.

Default Mitre Saw Recommendation

Need to cut up a number of 4x4's and 4x6's. I've already cut a number of
4x4's using a 7.25 inch circular saw. Found it too difficult to get a
straight cut even using blocks and penciling all the edges. Being
dis-mechanically inclined doesn't help.

Went to HD to check out what they had for 12" Mitre saws. Based on my needs
the salesman recommended either a Rigid or a Ryobi. The Rigid came with a
stand and sold for $279. The Ryobi sold for around $230. The Ryobi seemed
to have a better clamping mechanism and had a basic, clearly marked ruler at
the surface. The Rigid didn't seem to be clearly marked for measurement.
The salesman told me the Rigid was a better seller. Probably because it
come with a stand. From outward appearances the Ryobi seemed like the
better unit. Then again, for $50 a stand comes with the Rigid.

I realize from reading previous posts that Ryobi generally stands for poor
quality and some of you wouldn't buy Ryobi product under any circumstance.
However, I don't plan to use this every day. For now I just need to cut a
few 4x4's or 4x6's. Most of the cuts will be straight across a few will be
at an angle. Eventually, I am sure they'll be more projects that will
require some cutting.

After Google searching I came up with a sight reviewing sliding Mitre saws.
They appear to be better. I presume they are different from the regular
Mitre saws and more expensive. I wasn't quite certain on the concept. This
may be beyond my needs.

I'm torn between getting either a Rigid or Ryobi or checking out the 'Want
Ads' for a used Mitre saw. If I were going to do all my cutting in one day,
I would probably rent a unit. However, I need it for a longer time frame.
Any suggestions?

Also, I am not all that familiar with cutting. But, from little I've done,
it seems the utility of the table or stand is almost as important as the
saw. I used an old kitchen table to cut my other boards. It wasn't the
easiest thing to work with. Lucky, I had someone to hold the boards for me.
The salesman recommended rigging up something on my own using plywood and
2x4's. Again, suggestions are welcome.