Edwin Pawlowski

"Charlie S." wrote in message
news:AdaQe.1164$wE1.598@trndny01...
Need to cut up a number of 4x4's and 4x6's. I've already cut a number of
4x4's using a 7.25 inch circular saw. Found it too difficult to get a
straight cut even using blocks and penciling all the edges. Being
dis-mechanically inclined doesn't help.

Went to HD to check out what they had for 12" Mitre saws. Based on my
needs the salesman recommended either a Rigid or a Ryobi. The Rigid came
with a stand and sold for $279. The Ryobi sold for around $230. The
Ryobi seemed to have a better clamping mechanism and had a basic, clearly
marked ruler at the surface. The Rigid didn't seem to be clearly marked
for measurement. The salesman told me the Rigid was a better seller.
Probably because it come with a stand. From outward appearances the Ryobi
seemed like the better unit. Then again, for $50 a stand comes with the
Rigid.

If you are doing one or two projects, either will be just fine. If you are
looking for long term use for years to come, neither is as good as a DeWalt,
Bosch, Hitachi and a few others.

I'd go for the Ridgid in this case, but be sure the handle feels comfortable
for you. I like a horizontal handle myself. Get a good blade, appropriate
for your use. I'd rather have a lower priced saw with a very good blade
than the best saw with a cheapo blade.