RicodJour

Default Removing Carpet Tack Strips From Concrete Floor

jim evans wrote:
I assume this is simple but I've never had occasion to do it before.

I need to remove the tack strips from one edge of my carpet, and later
replace them. It is a slab floor. My memory is these strips are
nailed down using some kind of concrete nails. Is it a simple matter
of breaking the wooden strips out and then using an ordinary nail
puller to remove the nails? If not, how do I remove the strips and
the nails?

You got it right the first time. Use some leftover thinset, leveling
compound, Durabond, mortar mix...errr...you get the idea, to fill in
the holes if they're big enough to be objectionable.

Sacramento Dave

"jim evans" wrote in message
I assume this is simple but I've never had occasion to do it before.

I need to remove the tack strips from one edge of my carpet, and later
replace them. It is a slab floor. My memory is these strips are
nailed down using some kind of concrete nails. Is it a simple matter
of breaking the wooden strips out and then using an ordinary nail
puller to remove the nails? If not, how do I remove the strips and
the nails?

jim

Cloves and safety glasses. A flat bar works the best

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I use a flat pry bar and am usually able to get the strip and the nails
holding it down all at once.
Fill in using pretty much anything (thinset, morter, etc...).
Cheers,
cc

"jim evans" wrote in message
I assume this is simple but I've never had occasion to do it before.

I need to remove the tack strips from one edge of my carpet, and later
replace them. It is a slab floor. My memory is these strips are
nailed down using some kind of concrete nails. Is it a simple matter
of breaking the wooden strips out and then using an ordinary nail
puller to remove the nails? If not, how do I remove the strips and
the nails?

jim

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

ps. watch the tacks, no matter how careful I am, I learn just how sharp
they are the hard way!

"jim evans" wrote in message
news
Thanks.

jim

John Willis

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:21:34 -0500, jim evans
scribbled this interesting note:

I assume this is simple but I've never had occasion to do it before.

I need to remove the tack strips from one edge of my carpet, and later
replace them. It is a slab floor. My memory is these strips are
nailed down using some kind of concrete nails. Is it a simple matter
of breaking the wooden strips out and then using an ordinary nail
puller to remove the nails? If not, how do I remove the strips and
the nails?

jim

The others have it right, but I'll expound on it a bit more.

When doing this, put the bar right at the nail in the tack strip. Give
it a good, authoritative whack or two with the hammer. This will pop
the bar under the strip and break the nail loose all at the same time.
Some concrete may break out as well. Don't worry about that as you
will fill it as the others have suggested.

If you are going to replace the tack strip and the concrete is old and
brittle, you may want to drill holes and install anchors with which to
screw down the new strip. Sometimes it is difficult to get concrete
nails to hold in old concrete as concrete never stops curing. It gets
harder and more brittle with age.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

John Willis

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:11:32 -0500, jim evans
scribbled this interesting note:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:37:59 -0500, John Willis
wrote:

If you are going to replace the tack strip and the concrete is old and
brittle, you may want to drill holes and install anchors with which to
screw down the new strip. Sometimes it is difficult to get concrete
nails to hold in old concrete as concrete never stops curing. It gets
harder and more brittle with age.

Thank for the tip. And, I assume if I replace he tack strip there's
no point in filling the holes left by the nails?

Yes, there is. You want a smooth surface. That means no bumps and no
dips. It is a small matter to mix up a little thin set or sand mix or
mortar and fill the divots.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Todd H.

jim evans writes:

Thank for the tip. And, I assume if I replace he tack strip there's
no point in filling the holes left by the nails?

If you're putting carpeting back down, there is seldom a good reason
to not reuse existing well-secured tack strips.

I just had carpeting redone in my basement, and the carpeting folks
were thrilled that full tack strips well secured to the concrete were
there for reuse because they take a stretch so well.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Removing old floor tile from concrete M.Burns Home Repair 5 January 30th 04 04:48 PM
Removing glued-on carpet from concrete floor? Jay Pique Woodworking 20 December 9th 03 09:46 PM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM
Removing glued down vinyl flooring from concrete? Chris Wilson UK diy 2 July 10th 03 11:01 AM