John Willis

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:21:34 -0500, jim evans
scribbled this interesting note:

I assume this is simple but I've never had occasion to do it before.

I need to remove the tack strips from one edge of my carpet, and later
replace them. It is a slab floor. My memory is these strips are
nailed down using some kind of concrete nails. Is it a simple matter
of breaking the wooden strips out and then using an ordinary nail
puller to remove the nails? If not, how do I remove the strips and
the nails?

jim

The others have it right, but I'll expound on it a bit more.

When doing this, put the bar right at the nail in the tack strip. Give
it a good, authoritative whack or two with the hammer. This will pop
the bar under the strip and break the nail loose all at the same time.
Some concrete may break out as well. Don't worry about that as you
will fill it as the others have suggested.

If you are going to replace the tack strip and the concrete is old and
brittle, you may want to drill holes and install anchors with which to
screw down the new strip. Sometimes it is difficult to get concrete
nails to hold in old concrete as concrete never stops curing. It gets
harder and more brittle with age.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)