Mark

Default Gopher(s) ate buried Radio Dog Fence - several thousand feet - need scientific method to locate break

interesting question

is the wire a single insulated conductor or is it some kind of shielded
or multiconductor cable?

do you have acess to both ends and the break is in the middle of the
loop someplace?

i guess you could connect an AM signal gen to eac h end and follow it
with a portable AM radio

Mark

Doug Miller

In article . com, "Mark" wrote:
interesting question

is the wire a single insulated conductor or is it some kind of shielded
or multiconductor cable?

All the electronic dog fences I've ever seen use a single insulated conductor.

do you have acess to both ends and the break is in the middle of the
loop someplace?

Obviously he has access to both ends -- they're connected to the control unit.

i guess you could connect an AM signal gen to eac h end and follow it
with a portable AM radio

He already has an AM signal generator connected to each end -- the control
unit. All he needs is a radio, as I described in another post.

--
Regards,

Mike Berger wrote:
This should work of course, but it would be best to capture
the gopher responsible and make him show you where he committed
his crime.

.........and sue the little bugger for damages.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "Mark" wrote:

interesting question

is the wire a single insulated conductor or is it some kind of shielded
or multiconductor cable?

All the electronic dog fences I've ever seen use a single insulated conductor.

do you have acess to both ends and the break is in the middle of the
loop someplace?

Obviously he has access to both ends -- they're connected to the control unit.

i guess you could connect an AM signal gen to eac h end and follow it
with a portable AM radio

He already has an AM signal generator connected to each end -- the control
unit. All he needs is a radio, as I described in another post.

willshak

On 8/26/2005 11:29 AM US(ET), Mike Berger took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

This should work of course, but it would be best to capture
the gopher responsible and make him show you where he committed
his crime.

Rub his nose on the broken wire?
Or, put collars on all the gophers and put them outside the perimeter,
so they won't come back onto the property.

Doug Miller wrote:

In article . com,
"Mark" wrote:

interesting question

is the wire a single insulated conductor or is it some kind of shielded
or multiconductor cable?

All the electronic dog fences I've ever seen use a single insulated
conductor.

do you have acess to both ends and the break is in the middle of the
loop someplace?

Obviously he has access to both ends -- they're connected to the
control unit.

i guess you could connect an AM signal gen to eac h end and follow it
with a portable AM radio

He already has an AM signal generator connected to each end -- the
control unit. All he needs is a radio, as I described in another post.

--
Bill

David Combs

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "Mark" wrote:
interesting question

is the wire a single insulated conductor or is it some kind of shielded
or multiconductor cable?

All the electronic dog fences I've ever seen use a single insulated conductor.

do you have acess to both ends and the break is in the middle of the
loop someplace?

Obviously he has access to both ends -- they're connected to the control unit.

i guess you could connect an AM signal gen to eac h end and follow it
with a portable AM radio

He already has an AM signal generator connected to each end -- the control
unit. All he needs is a radio, as I described in another post.

--
Regards,

The other day while jogging I passed an electrician truck,
with the guy there too retrieving some part -- and I
started a conversation.

I was asking about ground-rods, and how you could tell
if the cable going to them was perhaps open -- and
that led to discussing longer wires underground that
might have a break.

He said there was some kind of device they could attach
to *one* end and it could tell you how many feet down
the wire the break was.

He didn't know how it worked, he said.

My probably-incorrect guess is that it broadcasts some microwave
frequency down the wire, and vary the frequency transmitted
and see if you can get a resonance -- and do that for several
frequencies (relatively prime to each other? -- I make this
up as I type it in) and if there is some cheap computer
hooked to it, maybe it -- well -- tries to disambiguate
how long the resonating part is????

Something like a physicst or musician sending a continuous
tone in one end of eg an organ pipe that's got a blockage
somewhere, and by tuning the sound for a singing-in-the-shower
kind of resonance, dope out where the blockage is?

(Assumes that they're blind, or have no flashlights,
and no long pieces of wood to stick down until
it hits the blockage ... :-) )

Oh well, it was a try.

David

Neon John

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 05:55:54 +0000 (UTC), (David
Combs) wrote:

He said there was some kind of device they could attach
to *one* end and it could tell you how many feet down
the wire the break was.

It's called a Time Domain Reflectometer or TDR.

He didn't know how it worked, he said.

That's surprising, as one has to enter some parameters to get it to
work correctly and that generally requires some degree of knowledge of
how the process works.

My probably-incorrect guess is that it broadcasts some microwave
frequency down the wire, and vary the frequency transmitted
and see if you can get a resonance -- and do that for several
frequencies (relatively prime to each other? -- I make this
up as I type it in) and if there is some cheap computer
hooked to it, maybe it -- well -- tries to disambiguate
how long the resonating part is????

No, the TDR works like radar. It fires a fast rise time pulse down
the wire and times the reflection and measures the polarity. The
reflection is caused by a change in the characteristic impedance of
the line, such as a short or open. The time is the round trip travel
time. If the wire's velocity factor is known (one of those important
parameters), the instrument can turn the time interval into distance.
The polarity of the returned pulse indicates the type of fault - same
polarity is a short and reversed polarity is an open. The best
instruments even look at the reflected pulse's amplitude and can
compute characteristic impedance and indicate if the fault is
resistive or not.

A TDR can also check for proper far end impedance termination. A
properly terminated line won't reflect anything. The amplitude of the
reflection indicates the degree of mismatch.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
George Willer

There's an interesting method used to find breaks in electric ceiling
heating wires buried in the plaster. It would probably work for this too.

I can't go very deeply into how it works since I only understand it well
enough to use it.

A radio signal is fed into each end. One end broadcasts a Morse code "N"
and the other end broadcasts an "A". At the point of the break, the signals
overlap and produce a steady tone. With a receiver and headset I've located
breaks narrowed down to the size of a quarter and was able to make invisible
repairs working from the top side.

I used the device several times successfully. It was on loan from the local
power company.

George Willer

Combs) wrote:

[...]

spudnuty

I've been watching this trace for a while and remember seeing utility
guys tracing underground services with a device. Could it be like one
of these?
http://www.electrical-contractor.net...?source=google
It will detect services down to 10'.
This site also talks about detecting breaks in underground irrigation
systems and specificly about finding breaks."The
valve-locator/wire-tracker can be used to trace the wire path, locate
valves, locate splices, and locate damaged wires."
http://www.igin.com/Irrigation/groundwiring.html
For instance this unit uses a number of different frequencies:
http://www.professionalequipment.com...qx/default.htm
Richard

123go

"George Willer" wrote in message
There's an interesting method used to find breaks in electric ceiling
heating wires buried in the plaster. It would probably work for this too.

I can't go very deeply into how it works since I only understand it well
enough to use it.

A radio signal is fed into each end. One end broadcasts a Morse code "N"
and the other end broadcasts an "A". At the point of the break, the

signals
overlap and produce a steady tone.

hence the old saying "you are on the beam" (when aircarft pilots were not
veering off to the left or right of the proper flight path).