John Smith

Default Okay, I was wrong...

About 3 months I found a 3/8" copper pipe had burst over the winter. I
didn't have any 3/8" pipe or fittings, so I patched it with silicone tape
and cable ties.
I posted here to ask how durable it was, and everyone told me I was crazy.
Well, it started leaking; though it worked for three months. I think maybe
it couldn't handle the expansion and contraction.

Now, I have some rubber tubing from an old gas grill, that just happens to
be a perfect (snug, but possible) fit for the 3/8" pipe. It looks stronger
than a garden hose, so I presume it can take my 40psi. Can I cut the bad
section of pipe out and slip the rubber tubing over the ends; using the
clamps (the name escapes me at the moment; the strap clamps that tighten
with a screwdriver) to secure them in place. Yeh, I know it is mickymouse,
but it ought to work. No?
The only thing on the broken pipe is my dishwasher, so it would be hot
water.
The reason I don't just do it right is that I only have about 8" in the
crawlspace, so doing anything is difficult; which is probably why it didn't
have enough slope in the first place to drain properly.

Edwin Pawlowski

"John Smith" wrote in message

Now, I have some rubber tubing from an old gas grill, that just happens to
be a perfect (snug, but possible) fit for the 3/8" pipe. It looks
stronger
than a garden hose, so I presume it can take my 40psi.

Can I cut the bad
section of pipe out and slip the rubber tubing over the ends; using the
clamps

Sure, for a while. We can start a pool for when the failure happens and one
of us will win a few bucks.

The only thing on the broken pipe is my dishwasher, so it would be hot
water.

Oh, better yet. You just shotened the life by 50% or more.

The reason I don't just do it right is that I only have about 8" in the
crawlspace, so doing anything is difficult; which is probably why it
didn't
have enough slope in the first place to drain properly.

The reason you don't do it right is because you are a stupid idiot. Check
your homeowner's policy to see if stupid fixes are covered when it burst
while you are away for a few hours or a few days. Have a plumber fix it
right if you can't. Being a cheap prick will cost you more in the end.

KLS

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:16:21 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

About 3 months I found a 3/8" copper pipe had burst over the winter. I
didn't have any 3/8" pipe or fittings, so I patched it with silicone tape
and cable ties.
I posted here to ask how durable it was, and everyone told me I was crazy.
Well, it started leaking; though it worked for three months. I think maybe
it couldn't handle the expansion and contraction.

Now, I have some rubber tubing from an old gas grill, that just happens to
be a perfect (snug, but possible) fit for the 3/8" pipe. It looks stronger
than a garden hose, so I presume it can take my 40psi. Can I cut the bad
section of pipe out and slip the rubber tubing over the ends; using the
clamps (the name escapes me at the moment; the strap clamps that tighten
with a screwdriver) to secure them in place. Yeh, I know it is mickymouse,
but it ought to work. No?

For a while, it'll work. However, why don't you redirect your
energies to a correct and final solution that will allow you to go on
with the rest of your life instead of returning to this same project
repeatedly? Several posters here have mentioned that Copper Bond
works great for those who would rather not sweat new copper
connections, so my advice to you is to buy this product as well as the
requisite length of copper and the two sleeves you need to finish up
the piping job. Cut out the split piece of copper and do a correct
repair.

Why are you ****ing around with such "mickymouse" approaches and
wasting your time?

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

John Smith wrote:
[...]

Tight crawl space + Half-assed repair job = exercise plan!

Only a young man say, 22? would do such a thing.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Harry K

3rd eye wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:08:48 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message

[...]

Come on Ed, this is a troll.
Not a bad one.
I'd give it a 2 1/2 out of 10.

I agree. If he can reach it to do his mickey mouse repairs he can
reach it to do it right.

Harry K

Vic Dura

wrote:

The reason I don't just do it right is that I only have about 8" in the
crawlspace, so doing anything is difficult; which is probably why it didn't
have enough slope in the first place to drain properly.

Give it a try but keep an eye on it. It ought to work for a while
until you can figure out a more permanent fix.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.