Default repairing wire insulation inside box

Greetings,

What does the NEC say about repairing damaged wire insulation inside of
a utility box? Is electrical tape acceptable so long as the colours
match? Is heat shrink tubing acceptable? Should I wire nut be used
even if the wire is shortened to only a couple inches instead of the
minimum 6? Is the only acceptable means to re-run the length of cable
between the two boxes? What is legal and what is the best most
accepted way even if it is not strictly legal?

Thank you for your time,
William

PS: Scenario is that a tenant decided to replace an ungrounded
receptacle with a receptacle w/ ground hole (but still without true
ground). Apparently the tenant had the receptacle around but no 2-3
prong converter and no car. They needed the ground plug for a power
strip for the entertainment center they were setting up. The tenant
did not properly pack the wires back into the box and put an outlet
mounting screw through hot wire insulation resulting in a short (but no
damage to the copper within the wire). Yes, yes, I am well aware that
what they were doing is wrong.

SQLit

" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have seen black insulating tape used. I have seen insulating heat shrink
used. Your property your choice of repair.

Fred

" wrote in message
[...]

Electrical tape or heat shrink should be ok as long as you maintain the same
class insulation level as the wiring. It should be printed on the existing
wire, either 300V or 600V for house wiring. If you're not sure just wrap
the wire a few more times make sure its thicker than the existing insulation
then if you like put the heat shrink over the whole thing.

Dan

On 10 Aug 2005 07:20:01 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

As long as the rating matches or exceeds the insulation on the wire,
you can use electrical tape (most does). I know this because I was
prepared to take exception to something I saw a contractor doing but
had the presence of mind to check the code book and found he was
right! A little research saved embarrasment in that case.

Dan
blueman

Dan writes:

On 10 Aug 2005 07:20:01 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Just out of curiousity, what does the NEC allow if the insulation (but
not the wire) is nicked outside of a box -- i.e. along a run.