Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Wiring Surround Sound: Speaker Terminal Posts / Wall Plate Combo

Hello All,

Recently renovated our family room and installed speaker wire to all
four corners for eventual surround sound. I have the levitron speaker
posts/wall plates on the end locations that use one black and one red
post for a speaker wire pair. All four wire pairs go back to a single
gang box that also has one coax and one ethernet cable installed in it.

Planned on using a six-gang levitron wall plate, two for the coax and
ethernet and four for the speaker wire, but seems like each speaker
wire needs two posts, for a total of eight posts. I can't seem to find
a single speaker post that will accept both speaker wires (pos and
neg), and nobody makes a 10 gang wall plate (not enough room).

I was just hoping to find a clean wall plate solution and not leave the
gang box uncovered with wires hanging out of it.

Not knowing a whole lot about wiring speakers, would it be possible to
wire all four negative sides of the speaker pairs to a single post, and
use seperate posts for the positive sides of the pairs? Then I could
use an eight gang plate and blank one out (five for speakers, two for
cable/ethernet). I am not about to try this since I don't even have
any equipment to install, just curious if this would fry something.

Thanks!