Default Cordless Phone - No Sound From Earpiece Speaker

{Old message posted 2002-09-13 in comp.dcom.telecom}

Hi all,

Writing in as a last resort to find out how I can fix this phone. It's
a Panasonic Cordless Speakerphone with both a base and handset dialing
keypad. Has been working great until yesterday, when the handset fell
and hit hard on the ground. When I press the 'TALK' button on the
handset, all the LEDs on the phone light up as if it's working, I can
even dial a number on the handset and turn on the speakerphone and
it'll be working fine -- all the features on the handset works
absolutely ok except the sound from the earpiece. There is NO dialtone
on the earpiece. The mouthpiece works great too -- I put the handset
on intercom, and you can hear anything you say over the mouthpiece
over the base speaker.

I opened the handset unit, and there are absolutely no broken parts,
the LEDs light up fine, even the handset on-screen display works
great, you can program and all -- just as if nothing happened, but
there wouldn't be 'any' noise from the earpiece unit.

Seems unfair to junk this phone just because the earpiece speaker part
isn't working -- and every last programmable options, dialing, etc
works fine, plus cost about a couple of hundred bucks.

Any suggestions will be most helpful,

Thanks in advance,

Nataraj Dasgupta.

I know this response is a little late, but maybe it can help someone
else searching for answers, like I was.

I had the same thing happen to my cordless Panasonic phone. kx-tc1450
The speaker in this phone has wires in it smaller than the size of a
human hair. A shock to the handset breaks the wire(s) inside the
sealed speaker.

If you have basic soldering skills, you can order a new speaker and
solder it in. I orderd mine from http://www.partsolver.com/ $8.27
usd.

Dwight.

Bob Shuman

I agree with the diagnosis. I doubt it is the speaker itself, although you
can easily confirm this by attaching a different 8 ohm speaker to where the
ear speaker is currently connected. (You might also check to see if you can
still use a headphone jack if this phone is so equipped). Most likely there
is a broken solder connection in the output amplification circuitry. If you
can get the board exposed while it is operating, try pushing on the various
surface mount devices with something that is non conductive (a small
diameter wooden dowel or plastic rod) to see if you can find the broken
solder joint. (Note that there are most likely devices soldered on both
sides of this board). If you can find the break, then you can carefully
touch it up using a small tip on a regulated soldering iron. If the board
itself is broken (less likely, but possible), then assuming it is in a
repairable area (just one or two severed circuit traces, you can scrape the
solder mask off the traces and solder wire across the broken trace(s).

Good luck!

Bob

link.net...

Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 03:29 PM
Sony cordless phone continuous beep Anthony Yeung (Rogers@Home) Electronics Repair 1 July 20th 03 01:33 AM
2.4Ghz phone vs 900Mhz Spread Spectrum Jerry Greenberg Metalworking 0 July 16th 03 02:33 AM