David Feyen

Default Clearance in front of elec meter?

I have two electric meters mounted on the exterior of my duplex. I am
looking to improve the landscaping along that area of the house and am
considering placing a 6 foot tall lattice fence in front of the meters to
conceal them along with the wiring. The fence would be hinged so that the
power company would have easy access to read the meter. Is there a minimum
distance I have to be from the meter or other clearance issues that I need
to be aware of? I will be calling the power co in the morning, but am
looking for any input here or other suggestions to help hide the meters.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Putting a fence (or anything else) too close to the meter will start
an electrical fire. Call the Fire Department for the required
distance. It's probably around 6 feet, which means never put anything
within 6 feet of the meter.

How did you arrive at that number?

In industrial settings, 36" is required in front of electrical panels.
Only thing I'm sure of on an outdoor setting is the meter reader must have
access to it.

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote

Putting a fence (or anything else) too close to the meter will start
an electrical fire.

Well, DAMN!!

I better tell them to take it off of my house before IT burns down!!!!!

SQLit

"David Feyen" wrote in message
I have two electric meters mounted on the exterior of my duplex. I am
looking to improve the landscaping along that area of the house and am
considering placing a 6 foot tall lattice fence in front of the meters to
conceal them along with the wiring. The fence would be hinged so that the
power company would have easy access to read the meter. Is there a

minimum
distance I have to be from the meter or other clearance issues that I need
to be aware of? I will be calling the power co in the morning, but am
looking for any input here or other suggestions to help hide the meters.

Your local serving utility will have a say in the clearence and so will the
local building department. The NEC would only require 3 feet.
One of the serving utilities we have would allow you to install a hinged
gate 12 inches in front of the meter. As long as there the side clearences
were maintained.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Robert Allison" wrote

And the meter will not set fire to anything, and despite what you have
seen on Startrek, computers do not blow up.

Mine threw a rod once......

Electricity Meter Scott UK diy 13 August 4th 04 06:55 PM
Swapping meter tails - no consumer fuse Al UK diy 22 October 28th 03 02:22 PM
Fridge freezer - how to remove top front panel (Bosch KGV3120GB/04 UK model) Joe UK diy 2 October 22nd 03 12:31 PM
Low ohms, (Dick Smith ESR meter), measurement problems RonSonic Electronics Repair 0 July 13th 03 05:40 PM