BC Drums

Default Recessed AC outlet behind refrigerator?

We are planning to replacing our refrigerator with a new one that is
deeper than the current one. There is a regular surface-mount AC outlet
on the wall directly behind our refrigerator. I would like to replace it
with a recessed AC outlet, so that I can gain additional clearance
behind the new fridge.

I can't find such an outlet on the web, possibly because I do not know
what it is called in the trade. Anyone know?

Thanks!
BC

Speedy Jim

BC Drums wrote:
We are planning to replacing our refrigerator with a new one that is
deeper than the current one. There is a regular surface-mount AC outlet
on the wall directly behind our refrigerator. I would like to replace it
with a recessed AC outlet, so that I can gain additional clearance
behind the new fridge.

I can't find such an outlet on the web, possibly because I do not know
what it is called in the trade. Anyone know?

Thanks!
BC

"Clock Hanger Receptacle"

You'll need a deep box to acommodate it.

Jim

Sherman

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:19:45 -0400, BC Drums
wrote:

We are planning to replacing our refrigerator with a new one that is
deeper than the current one. There is a regular surface-mount AC outlet
on the wall directly behind our refrigerator. I would like to replace it
with a recessed AC outlet, so that I can gain additional clearance
behind the new fridge.

I can't find such an outlet on the web, possibly because I do not know
what it is called in the trade. Anyone know?

Thanks!
BC

Be careful. The fridge needs to be several inches from the wall.
Otherwise it will overheat and burn out the compressor.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Sherman" wrote in message

Be careful. The fridge needs to be several inches from the wall.
Otherwise it will overheat and burn out the compressor.

Not really. The older units with coils on the back were self limiting by the
spacers on the back. New units need far less clearance as quoted below from
the Kitchen Aid manual.
To ensure proper ventilation for your refrigerator, allow for 1/2"

(1.25 cm) space on each side and at the top. When installing your

refrigerator next to a fixed wall, leave 2" (5.08 cm) minimum on

each side (depending on your model) to allow for the door to

swing open. If your refrigerator has an ice maker, allow extra

space at the back for the water line connections.

NOTE: Do not install the refrigerator near an oven, radiator, or

wkearney99

We are planning to replacing our refrigerator with a new one that is
deeper than the current one. There is a regular surface-mount AC outlet
on the wall directly behind our refrigerator. I would like to replace it
with a recessed AC outlet, so that I can gain additional clearance
behind the new fridge.

Are you sure there's enough room inside the wall to accomodate it?

STFW gives numerous links for recessed outlets, here's one:
http://www.residential-landscape-lig.../more_info.asp

I seem to recall boxes that had the outlet inside at a 90 degree angle.
Something akin to a floor box with a door.

But as another post mentioned, what about ventilation? If you don't allow
the manufacturer's recommended clearances you'll burn it up (not right away
but it'll definitely die sooner than it should).

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:27:48 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski"
posted:

"Sherman" wrote in message

Be careful. The fridge needs to be several inches from the wall.
Otherwise it will overheat and burn out the compressor.

Not really. The older units with coils on the back were self limiting by the
spacers on the back. New units need far less clearance as quoted below from
the Kitchen Aid manual.
To ensure proper ventilation for your refrigerator, allow for 1/2"

(1.25 cm) space on each side and at the top. When installing your

I guess they consider the back to be a side. Although I too would
think if the coils are on the bottom and not the back, a half inch
would be enough. It just bothers me that they don't say "back", only
"side".

refrigerator next to a fixed wall, leave 2" (5.08 cm) minimum on

each side (depending on your model) to allow for the door to

swing open. If your refrigerator has an ice maker, allow extra

space at the back for the water line connections.

NOTE: Do not install the refrigerator near an oven, radiator, or

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Edwin Pawlowski

"meirman" wrote in message
To ensure proper ventilation for your refrigerator, allow for 1/2"

(1.25 cm) space on each side and at the top. When installing your

I guess they consider the back to be a side. Although I too would
think if the coils are on the bottom and not the back, a half inch
would be enough. It just bothers me that they don't say "back", only
"side".

I'd consier the back a side in this case, expecialy since the coils are on
the bottm on most units today. They also mention top. With coils on the
back you need move ventilcation on the top for the air to flow over the
coils.

refrigerator next to a fixed wall, leave 2" (5.08 cm) minimum on

each side (depending on your model) to allow for the door to

swing open. If your refrigerator has an ice maker, allow extra

space at the back for the water line connections.

They also point this out as an exception so again, I'd say it is the side.

George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Sherman" wrote in message

Be careful. The fridge needs to be several inches from the wall.
Otherwise it will overheat and burn out the compressor.

Not really. The older units with coils on the back were self limiting by the
spacers on the back. New units need far less clearance as quoted below from
the Kitchen Aid manual.
To ensure proper ventilation for your refrigerator, allow for 1/2"

(1.25 cm) space on each side and at the top. When installing your

refrigerator next to a fixed wall, leave 2" (5.08 cm) minimum on

each side (depending on your model) to allow for the door to

swing open. If your refrigerator has an ice maker, allow extra

space at the back for the water line connections.

NOTE: Do not install the refrigerator near an oven, radiator, or

Yes, a space in the back in newer refrigerators is
not important. In many refrigerators and
freezers, the coils are hidden just under the
sheet metal of the sides and the top. A quick
check of a running refrig will tell where the
coils are and what part needs to have space
between it and any wall.

What I don't understand is why the necessity of
plugging the refrigerator into a socket behind the
refrigerator. If there is an outlet to the side,
plug it into that. If there isn't an outlet to
the side, then put one in.
Bud

"Clock outlets" are recessed - may or may not work for your refrigerator
plug, and as another post noted, they take a lot more space in the box -
which may not be available.

The refrigerator may have a 90° plug with the cord exiting parallel to
the wall. This would probably get you about as close to the wall as the
baseboard would allow.

Bud--