Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Smelly washing machine

Our washing machine has begun to smell like stank pond/septic tank
when it runs. I couldn't figure out why. I thought it could be
septic backing up, but there's a trap.

I popped off the cup on top of the agitator, the cup that you put
fabric softener in. Underneath was the most God awful, putrid,
disgusting black goop that I'd ever seen/smelled.

It was equivalent to cleaning out a shower drain.

I put it back on without cleaning it, figured I'll deal with it
tomorrow (sorry, Ben Franklin).

Can I soak the plastic cup and parts in an Oxy Clean solution? Is
that okay for plastic?

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Can I soak the plastic cup and parts in an Oxy Clean solution? Is
that okay for plastic?

Sure, but you can get as good a resolution with a bleach solution and it is
cheaper.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:13:57 GMT
" posted:

Our washing machine has begun to smell like stank pond/septic tank
when it runs. I couldn't figure out why. I thought it could be
septic backing up, but there's a trap.

Aiui, the trap only keeps gases from escaping. I seem to remember
that under some situations, a septic tank can back up.

A trap connected to the city sewer certainly won't keep that from
backing up.

Not that that is the problem here. Who knows.

I popped off the cup on top of the agitator, the cup that you put
fabric softener in. Underneath was the most God awful, putrid,
disgusting black goop that I'd ever seen/smelled.

It was equivalent to cleaning out a shower drain.

I put it back on without cleaning it, figured I'll deal with it
tomorrow (sorry, Ben Franklin).

Can I soak the plastic cup and parts in an Oxy Clean solution? Is
that okay for plastic?

Or soap and water.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

washing machine move mike guitar UK diy 1 January 26th 05 10:38 PM
HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 7th 05 11:32 PM
Zanussi FL1012 Washing Machine fault James UK diy 5 August 4th 04 01:45 PM
Box/Valve to prevent washing machine hose break and flooding? kevins_news2 Home Repair 19 April 27th 04 05:16 PM
walking washing machine Kerry Hoskin UK diy 10 February 29th 04 11:15 PM