Jack

Default furniture "cups" to protect pseaudo hardwood floors.

Just installed floating type fake hardwood flooring in my front room
(harmonic (or something like that) from Costco.

What is the best way to protect floor from sofa/table legs. My
furniture will be moved som, due to heavy use in the room... however I
don't want the couch "sliding" when a kid jumps onto it (I know, I
know, I can hear all you pius ones out there, I should discipline my
kid to not jump onto the couch, but head on over to
"alt.family.iknowhowtoparentbetterthanyou" group for posting those
comments please)

What I have seen:

"teflon-like buttons" they seem to be great, I use them on a stool in
the basement, but that is on cement. It seems a piece of sand of small
rock could get caught in them and scratch the floor pretty good if you
were moving them around.

Rubber type cups.. interested to hear of others experiences, it would
be tough to move, but only acceptable if they didn't degrade over time
and end up sticking to the floor or discoloring it.

Hard plastic cups - same as teflon sliders, I suspect they would
scratch pretty good if a piece of grit were caught between it and the
floor.

Felt Discs these seem to be pretty good options, but the couch would
slide a bit.

What are your experiences with any of these, is there something else I
should be considering?

ronm

the teflon sliders and the felt pads both do the same thing. Make it easier
to slide even when you don't want it to. I couldn't find anything thay would
stop any sliding. I didn't like the look of the rubber cups so I ended up
just leaving the couch right on the laminate flooring. It still slides a bit
if you sit a bit too agresssively. I tried some foam type pads which self
stick to the bottoms of the leg. They worked real well for a liitle while
but got destroyed whenever the couch moved a little bit. So far the laminate
flooring is holding up well.

"Jack" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

SQLit

"Jack" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I took off the metal sliders on my furniture and installed the plastic
buttons. Worked fine for me.
Felt never held up for very long

wkearney99

however I don't want the couch "sliding" when a kid jumps onto it

What are your experiences with any of these, is there something else I
should be considering?

Besides the rubber cups nothing I know of will work any better than what
you've tried.

How about screwing a set of wood blocks to the floor as a way to keep it
from sliding? My folks put ones behind the feet of our couch to keep it
from sliding back into the drapery. The screw holes can be easily patched
if it's needed. You could even go so far as to make the wood block with a
cupped edge to help deflect not only front/back but also side to side
motion, while still allowing for pulling it forward and over for cleaning.
Might help to put a bit of felt in-between the block and the floor to avoid
denting the surface and only screw it down enough to firmly hold it in place
(thus two screws). Make sure you use long enough screws to get a bite into
the subfloor and not just the surface laminate. Pre-drill to make clean
holes.

G Henslee

Jack wrote:
Just installed floating type fake hardwood flooring in my front room
(harmonic (or something like that) from Costco.

What is the best way to protect floor from sofa/table legs. My
furniture will be moved som, due to heavy use in the room... however I
don't want the couch "sliding" when a kid jumps onto it

Put a boot in their asses when they treat the furniture like a jungle-gym.