Dan Birchall

Default The porch light's flickerin' ;)

Actually, it's only flickered once or twice. The rest of the time it's
just never done anything at all.

An inductive voltage detector claims there's voltage in the wires and bulb
when the switch is on, and isn't when it's off.

I've checked the wires in the attic, taken the fixture apart, and taken the
switchbox apart. It's got a 3-way switch even though as far as I can tell
there's only one switch for it - but the other switch in the box is a 3-way
as well, for the inside ceiling light, so I'm thinking maybe it's supposed
to be that way. And of course I've swapped in new bulbs. Still no go.

The side of the fixture the wires connect to looks kind of old and grubby,
and the wires don't look the greatest at that end. I'm thinking maybe I
should take a voltmeter to the wires and see if things are up to spec, and
if so, see about swapping in a different fixture.

Sound sensible to anyone? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall - http://danbirchall.multiply.com/ - images, words, technology
TURTLE

"Dan Birchall" wrote in message
[...]

This is turtle.

A lot of times when a light fixture blinks ever now and then. You have a loose
connection in the fixture it'self where the socket is to hold the bulb. Turn off
power to that circuit and open up cover on it and see the back side of the
fixture to look for burnt wires or loose connections. Most Cheap lighting
fixture now a days will burn out in 5 to 10 years.

TURTLE

RBM

I think you may be getting a little to technical in your approach. If it
flickers, there is a loose connection. It could be anywhere in its circuit,
but a likely place is in the fixture itself, caused by heat from the lamps.
Your description of the fixture wires indicated they may not be in good
shape and a good thing to check is the connection where the fixture wires
are riveted to the socket, heat often causes these riveted connections to
loosen up