SteveB

Default Lawn/flower watering question

I have an automatic sprinkler system. I use Miracle Grow sprayer once in a
while to fertilize.

Has anyone hooked up one of these fertilizer mixers inline with their
sprinklers?

I think it would do fine for the flowers, giving them a weak flow of
fertilizer, and feeding them more steadily than my once in a while when I
remember it and get around to it.

For the grass, could I use Miracle Grow, or would I have to use regular lawn
fertilizer granules?

I am repairing the sprinklers at my house, so, this qualifies as home
repair, right?

Steve

Percival P. Cassidy

My guess is that it would be illegal, since the fertilizer could flow
back into the municipal water system and contaminate it.

Perce

On 07/21/05 12:49 pm SteveB tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I have an automatic sprinkler system. I use Miracle Grow sprayer once in a
while to fertilize.

Has anyone hooked up one of these fertilizer mixers inline with their
sprinklers?

I think it would do fine for the flowers, giving them a weak flow of
fertilizer, and feeding them more steadily than my once in a while when I
remember it and get around to it.

For the grass, could I use Miracle Grow, or would I have to use regular lawn
fertilizer granules?

I am repairing the sprinklers at my house, so, this qualifies as home
repair, right?

FDR

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
My guess is that it would be illegal, since the fertilizer could flow back
into the municipal water system and contaminate it.

Not if you install an anti-back flow valve.

Perce

On 07/21/05 12:49 pm SteveB tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I have an automatic sprinkler system. I use Miracle Grow sprayer once in
a while to fertilize.

Has anyone hooked up one of these fertilizer mixers inline with their
sprinklers?

I think it would do fine for the flowers, giving them a weak flow of
fertilizer, and feeding them more steadily than my once in a while when I
remember it and get around to it.

For the grass, could I use Miracle Grow, or would I have to use regular
lawn fertilizer granules?

I am repairing the sprinklers at my house, so, this qualifies as home
repair, right?

Jmagerl

Check here for the pieces http://www.dripworksusa.com/
You will need a vacuum breaker/antisiphon device.
Any garden center will sell Miracle Grow type fertilizer for the lawn. it
will have a higher nitrogen level. My impression is that Miracle Gro
fertilizer for flowers is more akin to starter fertilizer for Lawns. The
nitrogen boosts foliage which you don't want if your growing flowers. You
can use Miracle gro for flowers on the lawn but with the lower nitrogen
number it won't be as green.

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have an automatic sprinkler system. I use Miracle Grow sprayer once in a
while to fertilize.

Has anyone hooked up one of these fertilizer mixers inline with their
sprinklers?

I think it would do fine for the flowers, giving them a weak flow of
fertilizer, and feeding them more steadily than my once in a while when I
remember it and get around to it.

For the grass, could I use Miracle Grow, or would I have to use regular
lawn fertilizer granules?

I am repairing the sprinklers at my house, so, this qualifies as home
repair, right?

Steve

Which might be required anyway (the backflow valve that is) depending upon
the municipality.....

Bob

SteveB wrote:

I have an automatic sprinkler system. I use Miracle Grow sprayer once in a
while to fertilize.

Has anyone hooked up one of these fertilizer mixers inline with their
sprinklers?

I think it would do fine for the flowers, giving them a weak flow of
fertilizer, and feeding them more steadily than my once in a while when I
remember it and get around to it.

For the grass, could I use Miracle Grow, or would I have to use regular lawn
fertilizer granules?

I am repairing the sprinklers at my house, so, this qualifies as home
repair, right?

Steve

The answer to that question at my home would be to sell the
sprinkler system to prevent increased lawn growth and
thereby reducing time wasted mowing said grass. It's been
three weeks since I took the mower out and if the grass will
stay beige until October, I will be a happy man. Some of my
neighbors insist on watering their lawns to produce grass to
keep my compost supplied, so I can't complain.
They mow and I enjoy a beer and a book.

Bob
SteveB

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .
SteveB wrote:

[...]

Last year, the water department paid us $2000 to remove 2000 square feet of
grass and replace it with desert landscaping. We did so, and now have a
small area of yard. We also have a lot of ornamental flowers.

I was just looking for the fastest easiest way to keep care of this.

Steve

Duane Bozarth

SteveB wrote:
Last year, the water department paid us $2000 to remove 2000 square feet of
grass and replace it with desert landscaping. We did so, and now have a
small area of yard. We also have a lot of ornamental flowers.

I was just looking for the fastest easiest way to keep care of this.

For the trees/shrubs, if at all feasible to get a supply to it there I'd
try to simply bury/hide soaker hoses in amongst them that I could simply
turn on and leave for X hours--whatever X turns out to be in your area.
We bury them in rows in the garden plot at about 4-6" and plant on both
sides. About once a week they run for most of a day, at which time it's
equivalent of a good soaking rain...I'm gradually adding them to the
flower beds my wife wants to keep.
Doug Kanter

"SteveB" wrote in message

Last year, the water department paid us $2000 to remove 2000 square feet
of grass and replace it with desert landscaping. We did so, and now have
a small area of yard. We also have a lot of ornamental flowers.

Where's this? California?

Doug Kanter

"SteveB" wrote in message

Last year, the water department paid us $2000 to remove 2000 square feet
of grass and replace it with desert landscaping. We did so, and now
have a small area of yard. We also have a lot of ornamental flowers.

Where's this? California?

Las Vegas

How does it look? I've seen some pics from southern California, where people
have done some really cool stuff with native plants.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM