Default Can't find out if neutral is bound to the ground

Hi,

I was checking the main panel at a cabin in the country I bought last
year and I have a question. The main panel is right below the counter,
and in it comes four wires: The two hots, the neutral, and an
unstripped ground which is tied to the ground bus in the panel.

I know that normally, in the main panel, the neutral must be connected
to the ground. But it isn't here. Maybe it is in the counter box, but
it's sealed by the utility and I can't open it to check. I can't find
out and I don't want to risk double-binding the ground.

Is there any way that I could check if the neutral is connected to the
ground without opening the counter box?

Thanks

Note: Please reply in the newsgroup. The e-mail used in this post is a
spam-collection address and I don't read it.

Rick

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Look at the instructions printed on the panel door for the location of
the bonding screw or jumper first...

RBM

If the meter box has a main disconnect in it, you probably won't find a
bonding connection in the panel. If the main disconnect is in the panel, do
as Rick said and look for a screw or small jumper going into the neutral
buss
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I was checking the main panel at a cabin in the country I bought last
year and I have a question. The main panel is right below the counter,
and in it comes four wires: The two hots, the neutral, and an
unstripped ground which is tied to the ground bus in the panel.

I know that normally, in the main panel, the neutral must be connected
to the ground. But it isn't here. Maybe it is in the counter box, but
it's sealed by the utility and I can't open it to check. I can't find
out and I don't want to risk double-binding the ground.

Is there any way that I could check if the neutral is connected to the
ground without opening the counter box?

Thanks

Note: Please reply in the newsgroup. The e-mail used in this post is a
spam-collection address and I don't read it.

Thanks Rick and RBM, I will check for a bonding screw next week-end. I
was expecting a bonding wire.

There is no main disconnect. That panel is outside and cannot be turned
off. Not sure this is legal, but the utility did connect it once. It
seems that the previous owner just left that temporary service entrance
there and started 4 circuits from it. I've converted that panel in a
pseudo-disconnect by removing all the breakers and putting a lone 40Amp
in it, with another sub-panel inside. This may not be perfect but it's
good enough for a small hunting cabin.

Thanks

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Circular saw won't ground, safe? Tim Zimmer Woodworking 107 May 22nd 05 02:35 AM
Easiest way to ground a computer? Julie P. Home Repair 66 May 11th 05 06:10 PM
electrical interruption Choreboy Home Repair 41 April 17th 05 10:14 PM
RCD he say 'click' ? T i m UK diy 62 January 17th 05 12:33 AM
Am I grounded? Electrically speaking. Anthony Diodati Home Repair 39 January 4th 04 08:11 PM