Yeung Fun Ho

Default DANGER: RADON

Can anyone recommend any cheapo DIY ideas on how to exhaust heat from
an attic in a house?

unlike some of the folks here, who are forgetting a very important point,
let me remind you of something:

many places in the USA have high RADON levels
(RADON, a colorless, odorless gas, is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer,
after smoking)

many of the solutions that are typically presented in this group involve
exhausting attic heat via a fan, turbine, etc.

most of these are "negative pressure" solutions, i.e. they suck air out in
order to exhaust the unwanted heat

this will cause RADON to be sucked IN to your home from the ground

I suggest the following two ideas which are at least as effective and will
not introduce any RADON:

suggestions for hot attics:

1. a positive pressure solution (i.e. fan blows into attic and out a vent,
rather than sucking air out and RADON in)

2. even better is a white roof, studies have shown that a white colored roof
is 7 times as efficient for eliminating attic heat than any vent, fan, or
turbine system

YFH

Edwin Pawlowski

"Yeung Fun Ho" wrote in message
suggestions for hot attics:

1. a positive pressure solution (i.e. fan blows into attic and out a
vent,
rather than sucking air out and RADON in)

Agree with that. Attic venting shold be independent of the house unless you
are taling a whole house fan. OTOH, I'm not convinced radon is the threat
some make it out to be.

2. even better is a white roof, studies have shown that a white colored
roof
is 7 times as efficient for eliminating attic heat than any vent, fan, or
turbine system

Makes a lot of sense in hot climates, but in the winter, it is not a savings
here.

Main Man

See here
http://www.hpa.org.uk/radiation/radon/index.htm

George E. Cawthon

Yeung Fun Ho wrote:
Can anyone recommend any cheapo DIY ideas on how to exhaust heat from
an attic in a house?

unlike some of the folks here, who are forgetting a very important point,
let me remind you of something:

many places in the USA have high RADON levels
(RADON, a colorless, odorless gas, is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer,
after smoking)

many of the solutions that are typically presented in this group involve
exhausting attic heat via a fan, turbine, etc.

True, but many places have no problem with radon.
Besides, the solution is generally simple and
inexpensive. (Of course there are "fixers" who
will insist that very expensive solutions are
necessary). Before anyone gets excited, check
with local health or other organizations for
radon in the local soils.

most of these are "negative pressure" solutions, i.e. they suck air out in
order to exhaust the unwanted heat

this will cause RADON to be sucked IN to your home from the ground

Almost any attic ventilation solution requires air
inlets and outlets. A fan that blows out requires
air inlets, either openings in the end gables or
openings in the soffits. As a result, very little
negative pressure will be developed. In any case,
negative pressure in the attic won't have any
effect on Radon in the house unless the attic is
tied to the rest of the house, the basement, or
the crawlspace and that isn't the case in most
houses (it may be the case with a whole house
fan). For radon to be a problem, radon has to
infiltrate the house from the soil. That may
occur from a basement or crawl space, but not from
an attic.

George,
I generally agree with you.
However, I hear from some some researchers that is is often the case
that there are connecting paths up through the house structure.

YFH might want to look at the Building Science Corporation web site.

TB

Edwin Pawlowski

"Main Man" wrote in message
oups.com...
See here
http://www.hpa.org.uk/radiation/radon/index.htm

They state:
What Are the Effects of Radon?

Miners exposed to high radon levels have been found to run an
increased risk of lung cancer. Radon in the home also presents a risk, but
generally at a lower level.

Thus my earlier comment. I think it may be overblown in the home.

Gideon

The important point is that radon is a danger to you or your pets
only if you breath it. If you are breathing it, then your risk level is
dependent upon the radon level in the air that you are breathing
and the length of time that you are exposed.

Pets, especially cats, are often at the greatest risk since in some
homes they spend a lot of time at ground level in the basement.
A person who spends much of the day in a basement home office
and a lot of free time watching his large screen basement TV may
also be at relatively great risk.

Radon is 9 times heavier than air and it tends to stay low in the
basement. Basement venting can greatly reduce radon levels.
Negative pressures in the house greatly increase radon infiltration
into the basement and subsequent radon movement up to the living
areas. Exhaust fans are obvious culprits. Air movement such as
that created by the furnace blower fan also increases the spread of
radon through the house. Cracks in basement foundations,
cracks in basement floors and openings such as sump pump pits
all increase infiltration.

Better than guessing, buy an inexpensive radon test kit, use it
correctly in your basement, and then send it to the lab. If the test
results indicate high radon levels, then buy a couple more test
kits and test your living areas. I have a friend whose basement
tested at 37 microcuries - a level considered rather dangerous.
But the upper levels of the house have acceptable levels of radon
and the family is relatively unconcerned since the basement is
just a place to house the furnace, water heater, washer, dryer
and a lot of junk.

They feel secure with just simple steps such as cracking open
a window when an exhaust fan is running, opening basement
windows on occasion for some basement cross ventilation, opening
living area windows briefly once in a while during the winter, etc.

Like cigarette smoking, radon can be very dangerous and can
present a greatly increased RISK of cancer. Like second-hand
smoke, radon dangers can be greatly exaggerated.

Gideon

Vic Dura

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:04:24 GMT, in alt.home.repair DANGER:
RADON "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

They state:
What Are the Effects of Radon?

Miners exposed to high radon levels have been found to run an
increased risk of lung cancer. Radon in the home also presents a risk, but
generally at a lower level.

These studies were done in the 1950s and 1960s. Most (if not all) of
the miners where also heavy smokers. So many were smokers, that they
couldn't get a significant sample if they excluded smokers, so they
had to keep them in the sample. They compared the lung cancer rate of
the miners/smokers to the lung cancer rate of smokers-only. (They did
not consider the amount of smoking. I've never seen stats, but my
observations of miners as a group is that they are far heavier smokers
than the populaton at large.) The difference was very small, and many
researchers judged it to be statistically insignificant and the
studies non-conclusive.

That was judged to be an unacceptable and imprudent conclusion by
Health Physics community at the time, so a second committee was chosen
to review the results and *they* concluded that the differences while
indeed small, "might" be significant. That became the official party
line in the Health Physics community whose job and livelihood was
managing radiation risk. It just wouldn't do to find some natural
background radiation levels to be "safe" and without risk.

That has been the party line ever since but was pretty much ignored
and forgotten since the conclusions were so contrary human experience,
observation and common sense. Then in the 1990s when our culture was
running out of hysteria-of-the-month scares (global warming, nuclear
winter, no more water, etc.) this old bogeyman was resurrected.

It's perfect: you can't see it, can't feel it, can't smell it, can't
sense it, and can't find a single person that was effected by it. You
can only say that of 100,000 people exposed to it, *according to our
models and predictions* x-people surely must have been effected. What
the HP community does not say is that the predictive models were
designed *with the assumption* that there was an effect.

Well, a close relative of mine owns a radon testing service, so I hope
that in the future they require radon testing & mitigation as a
requirement of all home sales. If you can't get people to use common
sense, you might as well accommodate and profit from their fears :-)

Mike Dobony

wrote in message
Radon - The biggest scam of the 20th century. They say "you can't see
it, but it will kill you". The reason you cant see it, is because
there is no such thing as radon, except in the minds of scammers that
want your money to do alot of useless crap to your house at their
gain. However, if you believe in radon, then you must also believe in
the tooth fairy. Well, I personally know the tooth fairy, and if you
send me $1000, I will send you her autographed photo, and if you
include one of your gold capped teeth along with your $1000 check, she
will also send you a silver dollar with a picture of a naked face on
it.

2nd biggest scam. #1 scan? FREON!!!!!! There has never been a SCIENTIFIC
study tying freon to ozone depletion. There has never been any scientific
study that conclusively shows ANY ozone depletion. The newspapers have
CLAIMED a connection, but never gave any scientific studies which proved or
even indicated it. What they showed was guesses that it MIGHT deplete the
ozone.

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

I can dig it, baby ......

On 16 Jul 2005 18:25:25 EDT, Vicki Szaszvari
wrote:

And if there is no basement?

Gideon wrote:

[...]

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On 16 Jul 2005 18:30:14 EDT, Vicki Szaszvari

Radon - The biggest scam of the 20th century. They say "you can't see
it, but it will kill you". The reason you cant see it, is because
there is no such thing as radon, except in the minds of scammers that
want your money to do alot of useless crap to your house at their
gain. However, if you believe in radon, then you must also believe in
the tooth fairy. Well, I personally know the tooth fairy, and if you
send me $1000, I will send you her autographed photo, and if you
include one of your gold capped teeth along with your $1000 check, she
will also send you a silver dollar with a picture of a naked face on
it.

I must believe in the Tooth Fairy because a cousin and his wife both
died of lung cancer -- judged to be due to radon in their home. Rural
North Dakota farmers who didn't smoke.

I understand you can't hear Tomahawk Cruise missiles coming,
either, but I believe they exist :-)

BTW - you never hear the bullet that kills you. The sound
gets there after you meet Jesus.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

Vicki Szaszvari

Mike Dobony wrote:
2nd biggest scam. #1 scan? FREON!!!!!! There has never been a SCIENTIFIC
study tying freon to ozone depletion. There has never been any scientific
study that conclusively shows ANY ozone depletion. The newspapers have
CLAIMED a connection, but never gave any scientific studies which proved or
even indicated it. What they showed was guesses that it MIGHT deplete the
ozone.

Wrong, Freon breath. You need to read something published in the past
decade, or get out of the house more often. You probably still believe
the whole thing was fabricated by DuPont because of their R-12 patent
(which, incidentally, ran out more than 50 years ago.)
meirman

In alt.hvac on Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:14:42 -0500 "Mike Dobony"
posted:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
George,
I generally agree with you.
However, I hear from some some researchers that is is often the case
that there are connecting paths up through the house structure.

YFH might want to look at the Building Science Corporation web site.

TB

True, with balloon framing used in old houses. I
would worry more about fires than Radon with such
construction.

Not true with modern house construction.

Holes for water vent, gas furnace and water heater chimneys go from basement
to roof.

Yeah, in another thread I mentioned my forced air heating duct which
goes up my stack to the second. The oil furnace chimney is either in
the stack too or right next to it.

At the level of the first-floor ceiling or second floor floor, there
is a piece of plywood covering the stack, with holes for whatever goes
up there. I don't recall how well fitted the holes were to the duct
etc. Do all houses have the stack closed like this?

When I wanted to run another electric line, and phone lines and
burglar alarm lines, even with my 6 foot drill bit and a 12 inch
extension, it was hard to drill the hole.

Still, I don't think attic ventilation draws from the basement when
their are easier places to draw from, and even if there is radon in
the area, that doesn't mean it gets into the basement. There has to
be a crack in the foundation and in the right place.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Curly Sue

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 07:18:14 -0500, Vic Dura
wrote:

[...]

Where have you been? They didn't stop studying radon in the 60s. If
studies are non-conclusive, it means they (or the analyses) are
"non-conclusive," not that it's the end of the story. "Statistically
insignificant" can have as much to do with the design of a study as
with biological reality.

Do a simple literature search and take note of studies as recent as
this year; you're going to be surprized that the conclusions have
changed. The issue is not resolved by any means, particularly with
dosage, length of exposure (eg. lifetime risk of exposed children vs.
risk of adults exposed later in life), and degree of risk. But the
fact that it's a difficult issue to study doesn't mean that there is
no danger.

Sue(tm)

Mark

Yes it is IMPORTANT to make sur there are no open RETURN ducts in your
basement. These will casue negative pressure in the basment that can
pull radon in and distribute it in your home. Close off all RETURN
ducts in the basment and open one output duct in the basment to
pressurize the basmement a little. With the furnace blower running,
stand at the door to the basement with the door open a crack, if you
feel air being pulled into the basement from the upstairs, you have an
open return duct and need to close it.

Mark

Gideon

Buy a better house?

==================

Vicki Szaszvari wrote in message ...
And if there is no basement?

Gideon

Vicki Szaszvari wrote

Wrong, Freon breath. You need to read something published in the past
decade, or get out of the house more often. You probably still believe
the whole thing was fabricated by DuPont because of their R-12 patent
(which, incidentally, ran out more than 50 years ago.)

==========================

Poor logic.

The important questions a
1) Who holds the patent on R134a? (hint - DuPont)
2) Who holds the patent on R12? (hint - Not DuPont)
3) Who holds the patents on propane, isobutane and other
organic refrigerants? (hint - Not DuPont)

Think a bit about those answers and you'll possibly understand
DuPont's motivations in guiding the feds and the global community
in banning inexpensive and very effective refrigerants that DuPont
can't monopolize. DuPont wasn't particularly concerned about any
global health issues back around 1928 when it had all of us by the
short & curlies with its patent on R-12. DuPont has never been
concerned about anything except DuPont's P&L statement.

Of course the marginally sentient will claim that our leaders in
Washington aren't dumb enough to not recognize a corporation
acting out of self-interest. But those with an ounce of brains will
realize that Congress will follow any whore who will give them billions
of dollars of hidden taxation for them to control. The R-12 taxation
is a lot easier than going to the mats and asking for an income tax
increase. American taxpayers will let you rape them without much
of a fight as long as it is a hidden tax. And the HVAC industry has
few complaints since the new government regs create a de facto
super guild environment which attempts to exclude consumers and
"hacks" from practicing the trade.

DuPont is happy. Congress is happy. Techs are happy.

The public gets ****ed.

If you believe that DuPont is altruistic, then you'd probably believe
a Microsoft press release claiming that Apple computers cause
brain cancer. Ok, bad example - they do cause brain rot.

Gideon

bill

In article ,
"Gideon" wrote:

Vicki Szaszvari wrote

[...]

You aren't a tech or a company owner obviously. The tree huggers got us
into this mess.
But you would rather believe it's some conspiracy theory.
You should maybe get your brain rot treated.

--

Paul's cat got a furball and kept saying weasel's name.

*Hack* *Hack* *hack*

Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

Ever notice how many people roll their eyes in disgust when you ask them if
they took a class in statistics or research methods in college? This
explains a lot of trends in society, including the reason opinion polls
carry so much weight with the simpleminded, and why scientific research
often falls on deaf ears.

Doug Kanter

"bill" wrote in message

You aren't a tech or a company owner obviously. The tree huggers got us
into this mess.
But you would rather believe it's some conspiracy theory.
You should maybe get your brain rot treated.

Just to simplify this a bit, are you saying you do NOT think corporations
have purchased legislation which benefits only themselves?

Vicki Szaszvari

Haha! We have lots that are big enough here that we don't need to make
them more than one story.

Gideon wrote:

Buy a better house?

==================

Vicki Szaszvari wrote in message ...
And if there is no basement?

Vicki Szaszvari

Gideon wrote:

If you believe that DuPont is altruistic, then you'd probably believe
a Microsoft press release claiming that Apple computers cause
brain cancer. Ok, bad example - they do cause brain rot.

Microsoft owns part of Apple...
Stretch

Who holds the patent on R-410a (Hint-Not DuPont!)
So what?

Stretch

Radon information. PVR Home Repair 11 September 14th 05 12:56 PM
Who's a RADON expert? Bill Home Repair 6 April 1st 05 04:12 PM
John Kerry is a danger to your homes !!! Karl-Hugo Weesberg Home Repair 5 October 26th 04 08:59 PM
Air exhanger vs radon mitigation jack Home Repair 1 October 24th 04 09:12 PM
radon pump squealing Barbara White Home Repair 3 September 10th 04 10:15 PM