Bill

Default Who's a RADON expert?

I'm aware the EPA levels are 4.0 pCi/l are considered safe.

Multiple tests of my basement has a Radon Levels averaging between 6.2 and
6.8 in 2 different seasons. I have a typical colonial house with a poured
cement basement.

My main living area has been tested multiple times also, and averages 3.0 to
3.5 at it's worst. So I am well below EPA levels here.

So should I invest $800 in a Radon Elimination system to bring the basement
to normal levels if I only spend minimal time down there? It's mainly
storage and my work bench area.

Advice welcome

Mark

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:56:54 GMT, "Bill" wrote:

I'm aware the EPA levels are 4.0 pCi/l are considered safe.

Multiple tests of my basement has a Radon Levels averaging between

6.2 and
6.8 in 2 different seasons. I have a typical colonial house with a

poured
cement basement.

My main living area has been tested multiple times also, and

averages 3.0 to
3.5 at it's worst. So I am well below EPA levels here.

So should I invest $800 in a Radon Elimination system to bring the

basement
to normal levels if I only spend minimal time down there? It's

mainly
storage and my work bench area.

Advice welcome

the effects of low level of radon are contriversial..

i'd try some passive mitigation first, like sealing any cracks in the
basement floor and walls, sealing with water proof paint etc...

do you have a french drain or other openings to the soil,, sump pump?

also if you have a hot air heating system, make sure there are no open
return ducts in the basment that will create low pressure in the
basement and draw radon into the basment. also you can open a hot air
regester to expel air into the basment to create some pressure.

m Ransley

Im no radon pro but sealing all cracks in walls and floors would be my
first step, Google Radon Elimination there are some sealers that claim
to help that you paint on. I would do what is cheap and re test. A vent
system runs 24x7 costing more to heat and cool. A newer house could be
to tight needing venting anyway.

George E. Cawthon

Bill wrote:
I'm aware the EPA levels are 4.0 pCi/l are considered safe.

Multiple tests of my basement has a Radon Levels averaging between 6.2 and
6.8 in 2 different seasons. I have a typical colonial house with a poured
cement basement.

My main living area has been tested multiple times also, and averages 3.0 to
3.5 at it's worst. So I am well below EPA levels here.

So should I invest $800 in a Radon Elimination system to bring the basement
to normal levels if I only spend minimal time down there? It's mainly
storage and my work bench area.

Advice welcome

And what do you get for $800? One of the standard
solutions is to install fan(s) to pull air through
the basement and blow it outside to reduce the
radon level. You could have continuous air flow
or periodic flow. Depending on the size of your
basement, a couple of 100-200 cfm squirrel cages
blowing for 15 minutes out of an hour would
probably do it. You need a professional that
isn't selling the equipment to figure it out.

That would of course radically reduce the radon
level in your living area.
xrongor

woohoo!! the 'experts' have spoken.

now lets get real.

do you know how to use a search engine? why dont you try it. maybe you
cant. heres a page to get you started. i found it by typing the word radon
into a search engine.:

http://www.discoverit.com/at/phi/article.html

it seems to cover the basic conflicts in the radon arguments. ultimately,
only the US EPA sets the safey level as low as 4. other safety
orginazations have concluded different levels are safe. the NCRP (National
Council on Radiation Protection) has set it at 8. other credible groups
have set it higher.

only you can decide if its worth lowering. if you want my opinion, i
wouldnt worry about it.

bottom line: someone is always trying to scare you into buying something...

randy

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Bill" wrote in message
I'm aware the EPA levels are 4.0 pCi/l are considered safe.

Multiple tests of my basement has a Radon Levels averaging between 6.2 and
6.8 in 2 different seasons. I have a typical colonial house with a poured
cement basement.

My main living area has been tested multiple times also, and averages 3.0

3.5 at it's worst. So I am well below EPA levels here.

So should I invest $800 in a Radon Elimination system to bring the

basement
to normal levels if I only spend minimal time down there? It's mainly
storage and my work bench area.

Thats up to you.
if you go to sell the home, you may well have to have a radon test, and if
it fails, as your basement would, you may be required to install a system to
bring it to normal levels.

$800 is cheap BTW.

Advice welcome

BobK207

OP-

How old are you?
Do you have any kids in the house?
How long have you lived there?
How long are going to live there?
Do you smoke?
Are you overweight?

it's all about exposure & risk assessment

I never used bug killer when my kids were home, I always waited until
they were going to be away for a while (esp inside or large outside
qtys)

cheers
Bob

Radon information. PVR Home Repair 11 September 14th 05 12:56 PM
Air exhanger vs radon mitigation jack Home Repair 1 October 24th 04 09:12 PM
radon pump squealing Barbara White Home Repair 3 September 10th 04 10:15 PM
Need Cable TV expert - I have questions exray Electronics Repair 4 March 28th 04 02:29 PM
Electrical service question - old house, new addition - expert advice needed major domo Home Repair 4 November 20th 03 10:39 PM